Railgun not accurate!!

Discuss everything related to Shootmania.

Moderator: English Moderator

whynotsimple

Re: Railgun not accurate!!

Post by whynotsimple »

Here are two examples for hitscan weapons and projectile weapons from another game (I used another game that shows the guns to demonstrate what I mean):

Projectile.
I took the screenshot right when I fired. I marked the center of the projectile red. The blue arrow shows where the projectile would have left the gun in real life.

HItscan.
It is an extreme example. The beam actually start inside the pillar (guns are rendered after everything else in the map is rendered so that it looks as if the gun is in front of walls although it would be inside the wall).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
zmK

Post by zmK »

i know all of this, but the probleme is not here. I just want to say the railgun have not a good accurate, sometimes your crosshair is on the target in middle distance and and he dont die, sometimes your crosshair is not on the target but he die, the 3 dots crosshair don't realy work, me and my mate have take some screens/vids to show it.
just one example (1080p): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpoK7yWUiBo
I think the 3 dots on target to hit is a bad idea on competitive game, mainly in Elite. Why not just to put in only in Storm ?

Sorry for my bad english :?
My ShootMania crosshair made by Frolanta :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfgorsj2g2c8y23/frolanta.zip
whynotsimple

Post by whynotsimple »

zmK wrote:i know all of this, but the probleme is not here. I just want to say the railgun have not a good accurate, sometimes your crosshair is on the target in middle distance and and he dont die, sometimes your crosshair is not on the target but he die, the 3 dots crosshair don't realy work, me and my mate have take some screens/vids to show it.
just one example (1080p): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpoK7yWUiBo
I think the 3 dots on target to hit is a bad idea on competitive game, mainly in Elite. Why not just to put in only in Storm ?

Sorry for my bad english :?
I agree. I was only pointing out the why there is an "impossible shot" and talked about about general game design, because a lot of new people are introduced to fast paced shooters with Shootmania.

I haven't looked into the 3-dot-on-target thing so far. But I would agree that it isn't the best solution for a competitive shooter. Basically it is reducing the hitbox' size (because you have to aim more to the center for a hit). So the visual representation of the model is not accurate with the hitbox.
BUt on the other it might have been a balance thing. I witness a lot of railgun hits in most matches (and fortunately manage a lot hits myself). It could be that Nadeo thought the railgun would be overpowered with only one trace instead of 3?
zmK

Post by zmK »

I think Nadeo have to put one simple dot to hit the target, only for competitive mode. Pixel shot is not an escuse, and it's hard to do it, and i think player enjoy pixel shooting. that's why they have to remove this 3 dots, imo.

agree ?
Frolanta

Post by Frolanta »

I did this some test with zmK this weekend (btw more videos and screenshoot soon) and it's like even if the 2 players don't move if the distance is more than 100/110 meters there is a part of random. We made some videos/screenshoots showing than sometime the 3 dots on the crosshair are on the player but u can touch him and if u move a bit and made the same shoot with the crosshair at the same place it hit...and we are note moving, so with movements it's like at 60/70m (like the video that zmK posted show) there is a part of random, it's not high but too high for a competitive game.
Moreover we did some shoot over 230m and at this distance the player is too small to touch all 3 dots and some people did more than 400m !

There are problem with the hitboxes and the 3 dots.
hitboxes : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gg4AUIJ5CA
it's not my video but mine show the same thing. We can see that the hatbox of the head is big, maybe because shoot a player when u only see his head was impossible with the 3 dots thing ?

So pls Nadeo just put fine Hitboxes and remove this 3 dots thing. We don't care that some players with resolution higher than 1920 will have an advantage, there are always some inequality with the hardware, mice, surface, 120hz monitor, low ping, good CG,...

At least remove it, and you will see the reactions.

sry for my english :)
zmK

Post by zmK »

Frolanta wrote:I did this some test with zmK this weekend (btw more videos and screenshoot soon) and it's like even if the 2 players don't move if the distance is more than 100/110 meters there is a part of random. We made some videos/screenshoots showing than sometime the 3 dots on the crosshair are on the player but u can touch him and if u move a bit and made the same shoot with the crosshair at the same place it hit...and we are note moving, so with movements it's like at 60/70m (like the video that zmK posted show) there is a part of random, it's not high but too high for a competitive game.
Moreover we did some shoot over 230m and at this distance the player is too small to touch all 3 dots and some people did more than 400m !

it's not my video but mine show the same thing. We can see that the hatbox of the head is big, maybe because shoot a player when u only see his head was impossible with the 3 dots thing ?

So pls Nadeo just put fine Hitboxes and remove this 3 dots thing. We don't care that some players with resolution higher than 1920 will have an advantage, there are always some inequality with the hardware, mice, surface, 120hz monitor, low ping, good CG,...

Totaly agree :p
+1
rissoxx

Post by rissoxx »

Frolanta wrote:I did this some test with zmK this weekend (btw more videos and screenshoot soon) and it's like even if the 2 players don't move if the distance is more than 100/110 meters there is a part of random. We made some videos/screenshoots showing than sometime the 3 dots on the crosshair are on the player but u can touch him and if u move a bit and made the same shoot with the crosshair at the same place it hit...and we are note moving, so with movements it's like at 60/70m (like the video that zmK posted show) there is a part of random, it's not high but too high for a competitive game.

This +1!

I really want you guys to look at the hitboxes! Cus sometimes you can shoot behind them and still get the kill! Take alook at it! All these things are a must for a competitive game! Randomness is not allowed! If there is some randomness it wont be competitive for long.
NwK

Post by NwK »

Agree :yes:

+1
zmK

Post by zmK »

one frame before the shot : Image

frame of the shot : Image

exported with replay editor 120 fps
g1ock.0ut

Post by g1ock.0ut »

Seems like most of this stuff can be attributed to lag. especially the shots lining up behind people.

Not excusing it, just offering some insight. They need to come up with a way to force the hitboxes and the rendered player to be in the same pixels. There's definitely some disconnect currently...for example when I use a rail gun I almost always aim just behind someone.

This makes jump and mid air picks even easier since you just aim where they've been rather than trying to lead them or hit them exactly.

Return to “Shootmania”