Railgun not accurate!!

Discuss everything related to Shootmania.

Moderator: English Moderator

Omnixor
Translator
Translator

Re: Railgun not accurate!!

Post by Omnixor »

you simply need those 3 small dots on crosshair to be on your target, there's no randomness really. also that's why long shots sometimes are just impossible.
- staff head of ESL TM²Stadium -
Knutselmaaster

Post by Knutselmaaster »

So, within these three points, you cannot exactly know where it hits, but if the target it completely covered by the 3 points, it always hits, it is as simple as that.
When the target is so far that it cannot be covered by all 3 points at the same time, it might hit, it might not.
Quite realistic, even the best gun in the world cannot be acurate infinitely and will have a limit.
Mixteur

Post by Mixteur »

It's more about competitivity than realism.
It's not Battlefield.
rissoxx

Post by rissoxx »

Mixteur wrote:It's more about competitivity than realism.
It's not Battlefield.
Yeah I agree with this guy! The railgun should shoot exactly the same every single time. This game isnt about realism! It can destroy the competitive side of it if it dont!
zmK

Post by zmK »

WTF ?

if you want to download the replay :
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7776822/impossible%20shot.Gbx

Victim view : deu
attacker view : zmk
My ShootMania crosshair made by Frolanta :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfgorsj2g2c8y23/frolanta.zip
rissoxx

Post by rissoxx »

zmK wrote:WTF ?

if you want to download the replay :
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7776822/impossible%20shot.Gbx

Victim view : deu
attacker view : zmk
Agree on this! Have happened to me too! You guys seriously need to look at these stuffs!
zmK

Post by zmK »

Have you see the replay ? try it in slow motion in 1st person view on me. it's just impossible.
My ShootMania crosshair made by Frolanta :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfgorsj2g2c8y23/frolanta.zip
whynotsimple

Post by whynotsimple »

zmK wrote:Have you see the replay ? try it in slow motion in 1st person view on me. it's just impossible.
Nothing new to see here.

This is normal in most shooters and has been witnessed over years (since the very first railgun in games, tbh) and has been accepted by most players (and is even WANTED (!!!!!!) by players).

Explaination: The aiming is done from the center of the screen (an invisible trace is done from the center of your view to the target) and a hit on the target is calculated. Now it needs a visual representation. And then a the rail is rendered from your wrist (not the center of your screen) to the target that was calculated before.

Why is this so?

Simple and logical: In real life your arm/gun is not fixed in line with your sight. You would move your arm/gun around an edge or over a ledge to shoot where you look. Since this isn't possible in shooters they just render the visible trace through walls. The only other way to do this would result in constantly not hitting where you look/aim when you use cover or even are close to walls in a heated firefight with lots of dodging.
Oh, yes, there is another possibility: To render the visible beam from the center of the view which would fully cover it. And most players would hate that.

So in the end Nadeo just have shown that they know what they do by rendering the trace through the wall. Just as many, many other developers who are long year experts in fast paced shooters did, because it is the best solution.
rissoxx

Post by rissoxx »

whynotsimple wrote:
zmK wrote:Have you see the replay ? try it in slow motion in 1st person view on me. it's just impossible.
Nothing new to see here.

This is normal in most shooters and has been witnessed over years (since the very first railgun in games, tbh) and has been accepted by most players (and is even WANTED (!!!!!!) by players).

Explaination: The aiming is done from the center of the screen (an invisible trace is done from the center of your view to the target) and a hit on the target is calculated. Now it needs a visual representation. And then a the rail is rendered from your wrist (not the center of your screen) to the target that was calculated before.

Why is this so?

Simple and logical: In real life your arm/gun is not fixed in line with your sight. You would move your arm/gun around an edge or over a ledge to shoot where you look. Since this isn't possible in shooters they just render the visible trace through walls. The only other way to do this would result in constantly not hitting where you look/aim when you use cover or even are close to walls in a heated firefight with lots of dodging.
Oh, yes, there is another possibility: To render the visible beam from the center of the view which would fully cover it. And most players would hate that.

So in the end Nadeo just have shown that they know what they do by rendering the trace through the wall. Just as many, many other developers who are long year experts in fast paced shooters did, because it is the best solution.
Very good explanation! I understand what you say and will probably agree with you that they did the right thing! As long as it hits where its supposed to hit everything is cool! Well thanks for the very well formulated awnser!
whynotsimple

Post by whynotsimple »

rissoxx wrote: Very good explanation! I understand what you say and will probably agree with you that they did the right thing! As long as it hits where its supposed to hit everything is cool! Well thanks for the very well formulated awnser!
It goes so far that in UT2004 the beam is rendered from the foot (!!!) of the player when the player has fully zoomed his sniper-lightning gun so that it doesn't cover the sight of the payer. :)

FOr projectile weapons it is not that simple because the projectile itself checks for collisions. And that projectile comes from the gun. THat's why in a lot of shooters there is a muzzle that covers that the actual projectile at launch, because the put the projectile a bit higher more to the center of the screen, so that less missing is done with projectile weapons.

Return to “Shootmania”