Shootmania Elite Invitations [BETA]

Discuss everything related to Shootmania.

Moderator: English Moderator

Hylis
Nadeo
Nadeo

Re: Shootmania Elite Invitations [BETA]

Post by Hylis »

MrA wrote:
Hylis wrote:I suppose that your desire is that there are more and more players around with time, and we share the same one. We will continu to work on the game quality and capicities to welcome new players.
This is why I don't fully understand why we have so many modes, and separate the main ones into stations. It divides everything up resulting in the appearance of less players, even if there might be more. Why have so many modes? Is it just too many idea's and you don't want to throw them away?

I'm sure you have thought about it a lot, but it seems like SM is trying to do too many things at once, think about TM, it was rounds and time attack, then later there was platform and stunts.... Its still only four modes and it took about as many years. With SM we have about 20 modes all at once (if you include community made). I can't even begin to try and explore them all, I have no idea if modes I didn't try is better, so I just go where there is already players. In TM I only had to try rounds and Time Attack and decide which I liked.

So for SM, all these modes is too much isn't it?

It feels like you are forgetting part of the formula that made TM a hit.
There are more rules in sports of 1vs1 or NvsN than solo score based rules. Our ambition is to make the best FPS 2.0 as possible. The building is more complex, and so is the understanding. But if you look at the audience that is more aware of it's existence, in France, there is a lot of players compare to TM in it's age, really a lot. Shootmania maybe suffers of not having solo for purchase decision, but much more of not still being known abroad. And the fact that is quite unknown does not help for it to be played, with decision taken to buy a multiplayer game. And this is why making opening, while improving the game along the way, is a simple strategy in which I believe.

I think you forget the time and steps we made for TM to succeed. Demos where downloaded in millions on the first episodes, and then the free game. Shootmania is four months old. Trackmania was played by 4000 players in it's entire history, when it was four months old. On Shootmania, you have more than that in one day, in the core of summer. Since there is more competition on FPS and in gaming in general, and that the project is more complex, it is just quite coherent. But it's also because it's an FPS, that it can become quite big as well. It was 2 years and a half between the first release of Trackmania and Nations success. And I don't expect Shootmania to take as much time to succeed as much.
killer606

Post by killer606 »

Hylis wrote:I think you forget the time and steps we made for TM to succeed. Demos where downloaded in millions on the first episodes, and then the free game. Shootmania is four months old. Trackmania was played by 4000 players in it's entire history, when it was four months old. On Shootmania, you have more than that in one day, in the core of summer. Since there is more competition on FPS and in gaming in general, and that the project is more complex, it is just quite coherent. But it's also because it's an FPS, that it can become quite big as well. It was 2 years and a half between the first release of Trackmania and Nations success. And I don't expect Shootmania to take as much time to succeed as much.

That might right. But you cant compare it to the old times. You made so many advertising in TMNF and so on (millions of players saw that) so I think its more easy for you now to gain new players for new modes. You have the base now, that was different in the past.
MrA

Post by MrA »

Hylis, I hope you are right. :thx:

You have much more experience of this than me, I just observe and offer comments.
Enjoying TMOne
TGYoshi

Post by TGYoshi »

Hylis wrote: I think you forget the time and steps we made for TM to succeed. Demos where downloaded in millions on the first episodes, and then the free game. Shootmania is four months old. Trackmania was played by 4000 players in it's entire history, when it was four months old. On Shootmania, you have more than that in one day, in the core of summer. Since there is more competition on FPS and in gaming in general, and that the project is more complex, it is just quite coherent. But it's also because it's an FPS, that it can become quite big as well. It was 2 years and a half between the first release of Trackmania and Nations success. And I don't expect Shootmania to take as much time to succeed as much.
This is in my opinion a terrible comparison.

8 years ago (something like that?) games were less accessible, advertising and distribution wasn't as easy and broadspread etc. etc.
It wouldn't amaze me if TM was only sold in France (or even only parts of France?) in those first four months. Advertisement? I suspect very less due to money. Maybe some game magazines?

Right now you've got a whole community built up from the earlier TM's (which Nadeo also tries to break down?) who'll instabuy the game at release.
You've also got access to digital distribution across the whole world, advertisement across the whole world for a cheaper price, etc.

Stop relying on ancient ways of success, the world changes.
To make the best FPS 2.0 one should start going forward, not backwards to FPS 0.5 which is what it feels like for many players.
=3
Hylis
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by Hylis »

Some stuff is right, and some is wrong

People play what they know & like, and they have a much bigger offer at their disposal these days, releases and communication around. So, yes it's difficult to compare, but I don't believe the situation is easier these days, or to say it more simlpy, that players have less choice. And on SM, we just have the best studios in the world on the subject, and they are doing it since decades for some. And even some of the best gave it up in the customisable & competitive FPS.

TM2 is selling quicker than any TM before. But it lacks the 'free players' to make it look the fiesta Nations & United was. Meanwhile, Storm is played much more in France than all TM2 environment combined. It does not look like this, because in Germany, our historical biggest market, Storm is played equal or less than any TM2 environment.

But there is still road to accomplish, on both SM & TM. And success of both can help both.

First we need to be able to have the player capable to download, understand and enjoy as much as possible the games when we tell him to try.

Then, we will see what is the best thing to do to bring many people to do it.

Rome was not made in a day, and I think it's the biggest mistake I made to believe it would be feasible more quickly. But when you see the changelog & wishlist, you understand more easily why it's so long. And any developer who ever tried to move something that has been developped over years know why it takes time to do it, for the good!
Bonfi96

Post by Bonfi96 »

Do we gain planets if someone buys the game after activating a standard key or it just works with super keys?
Hylis
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by Hylis »

both keys, you win 1000 planets at the moment.
dreammyw0w

Post by dreammyw0w »

My brother ( free acc ) and me just played 2matches and he was out of planets.
Any idea how this is possible? Yesterday it worked fine.

Is it because we switched maps or something? I think its a bug.

Anyways , i love wetwork ( 2 islands , 1map , the new railpad is cool ).
Its a beautiful map, but maybe change the metal construction or make it smaller on the main island. :thumbsup:
djhubertus
Translator
Translator

Post by djhubertus »

I read this http://blog.maniaplanet.com/blog/2013/0 ... nia-elite/ and i'm really dissapointing. For what info about online cups if free players can't play on cup servers ? :D For what he need a team if he can't play on clan server ? :D
My Gamemodes:
MP4 - Countdown, Firefight
MP3 - Reduction, Overload, Flashpoint, Territory, SM Race, Escape
MP2 - Search & Destroy, Oscillation, Instagib
magnetik
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by magnetik »

dreammyw0w wrote:My brother ( free acc ) and me just played 2matches and he was out of planets.
Any idea how this is possible? Yesterday it worked fine.

Is it because we switched maps or something? I think its a bug.

Anyways , i love wetwork ( 2 islands , 1map , the new railpad is cool ).
Its a beautiful map, but maybe change the metal construction or make it smaller on the main island. :thumbsup:
Yep this must be it. Not many solutions at the moment except disabling votemap on server :?
ManiaPlanet technical documentation portal (Dedicated, ManiaLink, ManiaScript, Titles...) -- contribute!

Return to “Shootmania”