The Teleport Block : A closer look

Discuss everything related to Shootmania.

Moderator: English Moderator

novationx

The Teleport Block : A closer look

Post by novationx »

PowerUp is great initiative and I like the fact that NADEO wants to improve what we have now instead of adding new stuff. So today im taking a look at the teleport blocks ( = TP's )

------------------------------------------------------------

VISUALS:

So, is it me or does it look like NADEO wants us to make a chain of teleports? In the last 3months ,when the TPs were added to the game, I've never seen TP's linked to eachother.
Also the sides are just in the way, limiting movement.

In the jumppad screenshot you can see how the sides of the jumpad connect with the ground which looks 10x better.

--> Redesign the TP or create an alternative. Connect the TP's with the ground please.

(Also , now that I think of it... Linking 10 TP's to eachother would look bad. Would be cool if it could become 1 giant TP instead of 10 indiviual TP's. )

GAMEPLAY:
VIDEO : http://www.twitch.tv/dreammyw0w/b/558170455

1. Why cant I click the entire TP to teleport myself? Why can I only click on the blue/purple "energy"?
2. Doesnt this just look rediculous? I actually clicked 10-20x to teleport myself.
I admit, I should have aimed better, but my crosshair was on the TP the entire time.
3. In a game where movement is crucial, why does using the TP feel so slow?
4. Because the TP is turned 90° the actual clickable area is too small. The exit is maybe 25-35m away from me?
Is this really the best we can do?

--> Make the entire TP clickable

AUDIO:
We can not hear it when somebody teleports.
A walljump costs stamina. Powerjumps cost stamina. Jumping makes sounds. Shooting costs energy.
All actions are balanced ingame.

So why is the TP still unbalanced? The teleport sound should be 30-50% louder at least. Its a trade-off: you get somewhere faster, but you give away ur position.

A personal suggestion
-I still prefere a 2-way-teleport. Why does there need to be a start & exit? Im not happy with this.
-Wabbitface: Freedom
- Syzygy : Dont lose stamina when you come out the exit-TP.
- Titisu : 45° TP

All of these items together would create, for me, the perfect TP.
Comments below please.
Last edited by novationx on 18 Sep 2014, 13:20, edited 5 times in total.
The neverending waiting game has to stop.
Wabbitface

Re: The Teleport Block : A closer look

Post by Wabbitface »

Yes.

Sorry I can't add anything to this as Novationx has already thought of everything I could view on teleporters. Players should get rewarded for moving around without using these cheats, and punished somehow for using jumppads/teleports.

Maybe if teleporters are two-way, the mapper can link them through the map editor, this in itself creates more possibilities of what can be done. Freedom!
Liam 'Wabbitface' Watson
ShootMania Shout-caster
Specs | Intel i5-3570k @ 3.80GHz | 16GB 2400MHz | Nvidia GTX 780 | Win10.1 64bit | Asus Maximus V Formula
TitiShu

Post by TitiShu »

I like the way how TP are in game.. it need some skills and you can choose where you will go...

The only thinks for me to add are more variants :
- a 45° TP as it said before (not always easy to use them with the armature/structure)
- a fly TP : something without ground under the TP... now if you place both sides far in heigh but close in horizontale axis... you can't target the TP area because of the block under the TP

But i think it's possible to create custom blocks/items with TP properties as there is a TP physID... have to try
CPU: i5 2500k
RAM: 2x4Go G.Skill Ares
GPU: MSI GTX570
Board: Asus P8Z68-V LX
HDD: WD Green + WD Black
SSD: Crucial M4 64Go
Sound: Realtek (onboard)
Peripherals: Mouse G700 - Keyboard G19 - Headset Roccat Kave
novationx

Post by novationx »

so you say :D :

"I like to ---only--- click the blue/purple energy because It takes skill to do it?"

What was ur reaction when i finally teleported in the video?
"wooow this player got dem skillz?" :lol: :lol:

Im joking sorry :D

Isnt it just mega-normal to click the entire TP? Or is it just me?
I think this discussion shouldnt be about skill, but more about user-friendlyness & usability. Using a simple teleport isnt skill. I think using it in various situations, timing ur teleport, etc etc = skill.

The fact HOW u use it = usability... and atm the usability is bad.

I also like your other suggestions.
45° TP --> Hell yes!
TP's in the air --> Yeah baby!
TitiShu

Post by TitiShu »

I've condused myself and didn"t see the video xD

When i said that i like the way how there are actualy and the skill... i mean about 1wayTP instead of 2WaysTP

So yes the structure of the block is really big but it should be solved if there are 45°TPs
CPU: i5 2500k
RAM: 2x4Go G.Skill Ares
GPU: MSI GTX570
Board: Asus P8Z68-V LX
HDD: WD Green + WD Black
SSD: Crucial M4 64Go
Sound: Realtek (onboard)
Peripherals: Mouse G700 - Keyboard G19 - Headset Roccat Kave
Alexey85

Post by Alexey85 »

novationx wrote:[...]GAMEPLAY:
VIDEO : http://www.twitch.tv/dreammyw0w/b/558170455

1. Why cant I click the entire TP to teleport myself? Why can I only click on the blue/purple "energy"?
2. Doesnt this just look rediculous? I actually clicked 10-20x to teleport myself.
I admit, I should have aimed better, but my crosshair was on the TP the entire time.
3. In a game where movement is crucial, why does using the TP feel so slow?
4. Because the TP is turned 90° the actual clickable area is too small. The exit is maybe 25-35m away from me?
Is this really the best we can do?

--> Make the entire TP clickable
[...]
Requiring to click at an energy field seemed logical to me. I didn't even expect it to work at all while aiming from aside. I am fine with how TPs currently work.
novationx

Post by novationx »

A teleport is to get somewhere faster than normal?
So this 30m teleport is barely clickable & you're happy with that?

You can barely use a TP without 'problems' when its --only-- at 30m & turned 90°.
So you dont even think that my suggestion can possibly be better?

There is a difference between being happy with the current blocks & acknowlediging a better solution.
Alexey85

Post by Alexey85 »

novationx wrote:[...]
There is a difference between being happy with the current blocks & acknowlediging a better solution.[...]
There are obvoius ways to make it easier to use, for example to make it like a cylynder, so it would be same from any angle. If devs did it like it is now, then that was their deliberate choice, and I respect that.
If to look at current block, then clicking on energy feels "realistic" in some sense. In SM world the energy field was invented to teleport, but it is impossible to teleport with any piece of metal, that is why clicking at metal around teleport doesn't work.
Wabbitface

Post by Wabbitface »

I have another solution that will fix all problems in this topic, make the teleports rotatable in the editor, that way there is no need to remodel them massively and when this map editor feature is added, add the functionality to jumppads too.

If this is done well you wouldn't need to have 48 bloddy versions of the exact same jumppad. Yeah seriously, there is that many versions and they are the exact same thing. (three versions - grass, platform and tunnel)

- Place Jumppad
- Rotate it (remodel it into a round base so there's no model clipping with the ground)
- Adjust the height
- Adjust the power (Say a power value of 1-100, 1-33 is low, 34-66 is medium and 67-100 is high power)

Jumpads are made for this customisation, and I think teleports will at least benefit from it too.

Oh I'm on a roll here - have a version in which an exit teleporter is combined with a jumppad, seen some authors mixmap this and it is a very cool thing indeed.

"but Wabbit! Wouldn't that make them even more overpowered?", Me: "no you little shit - when a user takes a jumppad they will be forced into the air and their movement is extremely predicable to other players"

Problem's solved.
Last edited by Wabbitface on 16 Aug 2014, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
Liam 'Wabbitface' Watson
ShootMania Shout-caster
Specs | Intel i5-3570k @ 3.80GHz | 16GB 2400MHz | Nvidia GTX 780 | Win10.1 64bit | Asus Maximus V Formula
UrinStein

Post by UrinStein »

Wabbitface wrote:If this is done well you wouldn't need to have 48 bloddy versions of the exact same jumppad. Yeah seriously, there is that many versions and they are the exact same thing. (three versions - grass, platform and tunnel)

- Place Jumppad
- Rotate it (remodel it into a round base so there's no model clipping with the ground)
- Adjust the height
- Adjust the power (Say a power value of 1-100, 1-33 is low, 34-66 is medium and 67-100 is high power)

Jumpads are made for this customisation
:*******

Jumpad's the shittiest block of them all (excluding deco). They need rework.

Regarding TPs:

An idea by Tom.K: When standing on a port, all exits in sight should be highlighted, so you can easily spot them through fog, between blocks and far away. Make em glow or sth.

When so. exits somewhere, give more sound feedback like novation says, but maybe also more visual feedback. Again, when so. just ported, let the exit glow for two seconds, to make him easily spottable.
kadaz wrote:> That's where I disagree, cause the truth is, the truth is, weather you agree to disagree or not with liking it.
> I know I speak intelligent English

Return to “Shootmania”