Laggy replays

Discuss everything related to Shootmania.

Moderator: English Moderator

caspa

Laggy replays

Post by caspa »

Was thinking about making another little video but pretty much all of the replays I've saved over the past two months have this sort of weird lag effect. Its as if the game is speeding up then slowing down again. I double checked with older replays on the same maps - despite having the odd replay with this problem, the majority are fine. I've heard that it could be fps drops but I've tried turning my settings down further (which are already pretty low) and nothing changes.

The laggy effect is quite subtle, i think a lot of people might not actually be able to notice it but for me I just can't see past it. I'll add an avi/webm later on tonight to demonstrate my problem

However, if anyone has experienced this before, could they tell me what causes it and how it can be fixed? Thanks
TMarc

Re: Laggy replays

Post by TMarc »

is it already while simply watching the replays in the editor, or only in the shooten (unsure about correct word here) videos?
caspa

Post by caspa »

While watching it in the editor yes
plopp

Post by plopp »

I have the same problem. It only started happening recently.
Cerovan

Post by Cerovan »

Can you post a video please? Thank you :)
Online Programmer & Meme Master ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ

Access to your Player Page

You have troubles, please contact the Ubisoft Support

Maniaplanet Documentation (Editors, Scripting, Title Pack, etc...)
Cuts

Post by Cuts »

Turning game settings down after replay is record will not change any "problem" that is already record in replay file. If snap is high, then replay can lag, and that lag record into replay GBX file and I don't think is relate to GPU or editor, it simply is what the data in file say. But if you are not playing with "teleport" or "lag" from high snaps in the match I not expect to see any such lag in replays.

Have you used custom camera? Sometimes, the place of "free camera" or place of keyframe can make it look like certain sections of replay have speed up or slow down when move between one key to next. This should not be seen in FP or 3P camera, but I not know what camera you are using.

Have you tried using replays from other players, do the replays do the same thing? Or vice versa, can you upload a replay to dropbox, etc and give times that lag happen and get some other player to test for you? This would confirm if lag in replay file.

What detail setting used in launcher? (for both play and replay view / render, second I think would be higher) What are your connection settings in launcher and what FPS do you play at in game, how much does this go up and down (English translate is "vary" says Google...) "How much does this vary?"

Lastly, do you have SLI graphic cards? There are many, many graphical glitch in game, replay editor and replay video if you have SLI enabled and play with 2 (or more) GPU; many of which are relate to nvidia (I don't have AMD card for test). Always render replay with SLI disabled as replay go crazy with SLI...
caspa

Post by caspa »

I've not used any custom cameras - just loading up the replay and clicking play. I've recieved replays from other players and they don't have the same problem. I've posted a video here, I'll upload the corresponding replay too. I have some replays which are REALLY laggy but this one was just the latest one i had. You can see the effect mostly in the first 20 seconds.

Launcher I've got 2x AA, Shadows High, Textures High, Filtering Bilinear and then everything else on the lowest. Resolution I play with is 1268x960 but changing the resolution doesn't seem to fix anything. Connection settings DSL 20mb. My fps is locked to 250 but as always with shootmania, with whatever cap you use the FPS will always fluctuate (thats another seperate issue which still persists two years after I started this game). Its generally dropping from 250 to around 220 on most maps.

I don't use SLI, I have a single ATi 7850 1gb. This is only a problem which has been happening recently but now on a consistent basis. Occasionally I would get a replay like this (maybe one in fifty) but now it persists in all of them..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4m2Glv ... e=youtu.be
http://www.speedyshare.com/k9bNr/2014-1 ... Replay.Gbx

Apologies for the video quality, I have terrible upload speed so I wanted to keep the filesize down. You can still see the "stop and start" effect though
Cuts

Post by Cuts »

Definitely lag in the replay file. Maybe reduce your FPS slightly (I think 120hz / 144hz monitor, try 150 cap?) that might help. I have not had this problem with replay at all, besides the some laggy game.

Though, not sure if Nadeo engine send data for each frame like unreal engine does to the server. Maybe nice Nadeo people can confirm? Also, how the client side replay record might not be the same as I think.

On the better side, it is barely seen in youtube 30fps video. When I render your replay at 120fps the stutter is more obvious.
caspa

Post by caspa »

Would you be able to render and upload it to youtube for me? Would be much appreciated, and then people can more clearly see whats happening
Cuts

Post by Cuts »

I rendered it as follows:

30fps replay, 1.0 playback
120fps replay, 1.0 playback (youtube cuts this down to 30, but still look more smooth than 30fps)
120fps replay, 0.25 playback

In both 30fps1.0 and 120fps1.0 it can be seen barely.

In 120fps x0.25, there are more obvious stutter.

The stutter it seem to relate to your character only, I did not see rocket or other player stutter. Maybe not enough lag for you to see in game...

Also, I think Nadeo maybe fix PhysX bug, where replay only render particles on first, 3rd frame... I render this with SLI enabled and did notice particle appear / disappear on alternate frames....

link: http://youtu.be/oJ84C1B8Pmc

Return to “Shootmania”