(Stadium,Canyon) Visual Texture Guide Mod - modders aid

Talk about the car skins/models, mods and share them !

Moderator: English Moderator

Balmung

Re: Visual Texture Guide Mod - Resource for modders

Post by Balmung »

Another problem: how can i modify(!) normal maps and save it correct again? Google do not really help, only find how to create one but not how modify a existing one.
HawkGer
Translator
Translator

Post by HawkGer »

I didn't know this myself since I never modify my normals after having them actually saved. What I tried just now was to save the Normal map that was saved in the 3dc-format with the "DXT1 RGB 4bpp I no alpha" format. There doesn't seem to be any change in the RGB spectrum when saving that way and opening again. I just don't know if the game recognizes that format. Maybe I will try it later.
Edit: I overlooked the fact that DXT1 no alpha saves only with half the quality compared to the 3dc-format. So probably not a good thing to do in the first place.
LuckyBoy
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by LuckyBoy »

NormalMaps were using a DXT5 swizzled format in Stadium.

With ManiaPlanet, this is no longer the case:
NormapMaps use ATI's 3Dc texture compression, the size in memory is the same, but the compression quality is slightly better.
This format is identified in DirectX9 by the fourCC 'ATI2' (2 components are effectively stored).
Shaders won't work if you mod ManiaPlanet with old swizzled DXT5 normal maps !
To compress an RGB (=XYZ) .tga normal map in the 3Dc format, you can either use

a) AMD Texture compression tool:
http://developer.amd.com/tools/compress ... fault.aspx

b) NVidia Texture compression tool: (in DDS Utilities)
http://developer.nvidia.com/legacy-texture-tools

Thanks
LuckyBoy
Balmung

Post by Balmung »

Thx, that was useful, because the NV DDS Plugin with Photoshop CS5 can't load this normal Maps correct, they are much too bright. The ATI TheCompressonator load it correct and when i save it as TGA i can modifying it correct in Photoshop. :thumbsup:
HawkGer
Translator
Translator

Post by HawkGer »

Yep thanks for that information LuckyBoy. Not going to use that software though, sounds a bit time consuming. But good to know it works :)

I updated my first post with a template mod and a "template track" that loads the mod automatically so that one can analyze the blocks more easily. If something is not working correctly let me know ;)
Balmung

Post by Balmung »

Are this Directory Listing of files in a mod.zip all possible files? Any chance to change files like DirtMarks.dds or DirtSmoke.dds?
HawkGer
Translator
Translator

Post by HawkGer »

No of course they are not all the files that you are able to modify. It's just a low quality mod with the most important textures. As far as I know you can modify all the textures in the Image, Moods and TextureDecal folder except the clouds.tga file in the moods folder atm ^^ Plus the icon.dds and a few menu textures you can modify. I don't even know where those textures you mentioned are in the HD pack...I don't think they are modifiable.
Trackmaniack

Post by Trackmaniack »

HawkGer wrote:No of course they are not all the files that you are able to modify. It's just a low quality mod with the most important textures. As far as I know you can modify all the textures in the Image, Moods and TextureDecal folder except the clouds.tga file in the moods folder atm ^^ Plus the icon.dds and a few menu textures you can modify. I don't even know where those textures you mentioned are in the HD pack...I don't think they are modifiable.
Dunno about smoke, but I did stumble across a skidmarks-looking DDS a while back... :? This TM should sure keep Crusard busy :lol:
WIP
Friction

Post by Friction »

where do i put files for them to show up in game :/
i've tried everything i can think of I have tools for editing and i know how to edit but i can't find the folder to put them in when im done :(
HawkGer
Translator
Translator

Post by HawkGer »

I don't understand why it is so hard to find that folder: {your custom folder default being Documents}\ManiaPlanet\Skins\Canyon\Mod
Or just download the track version, then the mod should donwload automatically...

Return to “Workbench”