mpbc 0.1.9.1: custom block creation tool

Talk about the track editor here

Moderator: English Moderator

arc_

mpbc 0.1.9.1: custom block creation tool

Post by arc_ »

This tool is obsolete and is no longer being updated. Nadeo has now implemented native object importing.

mpbc, short for ManiaPlanet Block Compiler, is a new tool that allows you to create your own blocks from scratch and import them into TrackMania 2. Currently it supports the following:
  • Custom meshes with LOD's (from .dae files)
  • Custom textures: diffuse, normal and specular maps with optional alpha (from .dds files)
  • Builtin ManiaPlanet textures: make your block work with mods
  • Collision meshes
  • Clips: indicate that a block is connectable to others
  • Drawable roads
  • Checkpoints, start and finish lines
  • Surface types that affect driving, like Dirt and Turbo.
  • Distribution of custom blocks via ManiaCode
There is a detailed manual to get you started.

One restriction is that to use the blocks ingame, you need TM2Unlimiter (version 0.2.2 or newer). This includes the person creating the blocks and anyone who wants to play a map that contains the blocks. The reason for this is a limitation in ManiaPlanet: .gbx files in the Personal folder are not allowed to reference external files, which is required for blocks (e.g. models need to reference their textures). TM2Unlimiter lifts this restriction.
Changes in the XML format since 0.1.5:
  • The <environment> should now have a namespace and a "title" attribute, see manual for details.
Last edited by arc_ on 28 Sep 2012, 20:40, edited 20 times in total.
banjee

Re: mpbc: custom block creation tool

Post by banjee »

Mindblowing, can't wait to see what people will do with this! Especially the RPG scene...

Great work arc_! :thumbsup:
Last edited by banjee on 15 Apr 2012, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
CoastKid
Translator
Translator

Post by CoastKid »

WOW! this will revive me from the dead sleep! :twisted: :pil :thumbsup: :3
Big thanks to you arc_ ! You are Super !!! :thx:
Last edited by CoastKid on 15 Apr 2012, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
tcq

Post by tcq »

Awesome work, great job man :)
riolu

Post by riolu »

Great stuff, now we need a little tutorial how to use 3dsMax (how to form a model, how to apply collision stuff, etc.) :P
I'm looking forward to the first tracks with custom blocks :yes:
banjee

Post by banjee »

I guess I have to get tm2 unlimiter now... :? I wonder if it would be possible to make locators for blocks becasue otherwise it would get really annoying really fast.
seeba

Post by seeba »

You're ingenious!

I have to try it out soon (probably I won't find time doing so until june though :( ).
However, another masterpiece of you.
I am really looking forward to see maps being built with custom blocks, it will be really awesome :D
Last edited by seeba on 15 Apr 2012, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
kripkee

Post by kripkee »

Why you don't work for nadeo ?
I love you :D :1010
CoastKid
Translator
Translator

Post by CoastKid »

I think that it is not necessary to create the petition, NADEO should add this feature without any petitions, as well as it was promised from the very beginning, in this case the petition is humiliation of dignity of the undersigneds.
The whole idea to obligate creators to use custom soft to make game different and bring more fun, is wrong in root.
Maybe it was planned to add this feature in ManiaPlanet2, i don't know, but i hope so.
Anyway it is the BEST NEWS :3 since beta release. (imho)
eyebo
Translator
Translator

Post by eyebo »

When Nadeo first announced Custom Blocks I thought it was an awesome idea. Then they decided to hold off on doing it and it gave me a chance to contemplate what custom blocks could actually mean for the game. I decided that I personally didn't want them. I like the idea of having a finite number of blocks in the game, both as a builder and as a driver. If custom blocks were allowed, there's not really any kind of quality control with them, other than with the authors of the maps themselves and what they choose to use. But considering the fact that many people can't even figure out how to use signage with the correct aspect ratio, I don't believe they're capable of using custom blocks responsibly. So, even though it very much has the possibility to expand creativity, I hope Nadeo never natively adds the ability to use custom blocks in-game.

All that said, this is tremendous work! I never imagined that this type of feature could or would be added by a 3rd party. I have the utmost respect for what you've accomplished here arc_ and I'll no doubt play around with this tool myself. I think the fact that it's a 3rd party tool and that it requires unlimiter to play these tracks will mean that tracks made with this tool won't be mainstream... and I'm fine with that. It seems like a good compromise. People still get the ability to use custom blocks without it being something that's actually part of the game and could potentially impact the quality of the game.

I also think there are some incredibly talented people out there that will use this to make some really complex and beautiful blocks and completely design their own set of matching blocks to transform the game into something totally unexpected. *ahem* rumpelbube *ahem* I'm curious to see how far people take this.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Good work! :thumbsup:
Former QC Manager at Ubisoft Nadeo.
My tracks on: Mania Exchange (TM2) | TrackMania Exchange (TMUF)

For the devs: Ryzen 7 1800X / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 (477.22) @ 3840x2160 / Win10 64bit

Return to “Track Editor”