[TitlePack] EliteAlternative

Talk about avatars, crosshairs, mods, skins and share them !

Moderator: English Moderator

fleo

[TitlePack] EliteAlternative

Post by fleo »

(Topic en Français par ici).

Hi folks, I'm here to introduce the new titlepack I'm currently developing. Tthe pack is still in beta but it's now available in the store ingame.

[maniaplanet=elitealternative]Image[/maniaplanet]

I think this project is going to delight quite a few people because it consists in playing elite with some different parameters (I insist on parameters and not rules, so it's still 1v3 with a pole). It offers new possibilities thanks to new weapons, unlike the very repetitive old elite, with well hidden defenders and a running attacker trying to dig them out and getting smashed when he comes too close...

There is what you're all waiting for, the differences with elite:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- The attacker has 6 armours,
- Defenders have 2 armours each,

- The attacker has 1 laser and 1 grenade-launcher,
- Defenders have 4 rockets and 1 shotgun,

- A headshot with the laser removes 2 armours,

- Rounds are 60-seconds long (instead of 45s), then the pole can be captured for 20 seconds (instead of 15s),
- Capturing the pole takes 3,5 seconds (instead of 1,5s),
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the thing. Now is time to adjust parameters to make this pack wonderful :D

There is how custom weapons work at the moment, with the other considered options:

- Attacker's Grenade-launcher:
Grenade exploding at the first impact (arrow-like),
or Grenade exploding after a while (1 sec) and so which can bounce on walls and ground.

In these three cases, this weapon would work as follows:
+2 for a direct hit, +1 for AOE (Area Of Effect: if the projectile explodes close to the target).

- Defender's Shotgun:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
We have to adjust different parameters of the weapon:
- The range (around 10m),
- The number of projectiles (somewhere between 4 and 8),
- The dispersion (some angle between 10 and 30°).

This weapon can work in some different ways:
- A first solution would be: each projectile hurts at some point (somewhere between 25 and 100 damages, knowing that 100 damages = 1 armour). The more projectiles the target gets hit by, the heavier are the damages (+1, +2 on him). This solution seems quite logical but can seem quite random as well (depending of the dispersion). Moreover that's troubling to hit the target with for example one projectile (i.e.: 50 damages meaning 0,5 armour rounded to 0) and doesn't get a +1...
- A second solution would be: damages are dependant to the hit distance. For instance: +2 at short range (3m or less) and +1 between 3m and 10m.

These are the points to discuss. The SSM nicely opened 4 servers !

maniaplanet://#join=storn9@EliteAlternative@fleo
maniaplanet://#join=eliteal2@EliteAlternative@fleo
maniaplanet://#join=eliteal3@EliteAlternative@fleo
maniaplanet://#join=eliteal4@EliteAlternative@fleo

I'd also like to have opinions on some complex points like "is it better to have a weapon reloading while the other is equipped? (like in combo)" or "is it better to be able to switch to the custom weapon even on railpads or in undergrounds?". These questions can seem pretty useless but there are absolutely not! The answers of this kind of questions make the whole interest of a title or another.

Before forgetting, there is the link to download the title ^^ you just have to type elitealternative ingame.

For the ones who want to be part of this project (I mean by doing more than giving your opinion which is still a very important thing to do!), do not hesitate to share your custom weapons, create new weapons icons, or anything else.

You can find all the files used in the project (some custom weapons examples, templates of the images of the station, scripts, ...) in this folder.

This time I think I've talked about everything, hopefully you're still alive after reading all this (if you read everything!). You can find every changelogs on dropbox, in the folder Pack.
Last edited by fleo on 22 Jul 2014, 20:12, edited 6 times in total.
Follow me on my maniaflash. Try the new elitealternative! Feedbacks on this post. :thumbsup:

♫ I need αεяø. I'm holding out for αεяø 'til the end of the night. ♫
novationx

Re: [TitlePack] EliteAlternative

Post by novationx »

I think having a shotgun ( very strong close range weapon ) when the enemy is forced to come close range ( = capturing the pole ) is a little bit OP.
I do , however, like ur idea of a new Elite. I suggest the name : Elite Pro Mod :D

Question : Is this meant to be a fun mode or something more serious?
The neverending waiting game has to stop.
dovahk1n

Post by dovahk1n »

Yeah but don't forget the attacker have a grenade launcher, so it's hard for the defence to stay pole ;) Moreover, the cooldown of the shotgun is 4sec, so if u miss your shot, its too long to reload, the attacker can reload his weapon faster. And its not that easy to hit the attacker near the pole, because on 6 bullets (for exemple), u need to hit with at least 2 bullets to do a damage, and if the attacker is dancing around the pole, its quite hard. And don't forget too that the attacker has 6hp ;)
But we really need a server to test it, i'm still waiting answers from Krazy, Paragon and SSM. It will be better then, to improve this mod.
fleo

Post by fleo »

You have to test, you'll see that you can't really hide behind the pole anymore when the attacker has a grenade. And as dova said, the attacker has 6 armours, so that's not so easy to eliminate him even with a shotgun. I'd say it becomes easy when 2 or 3 defenders are still alive when the attacker try to cap, but that's the same as before, we intend to keep this balance.

We aim to create a competitive mode and thanks for your name proposition, we'll consider it :thumbsup:

The SSM nicely opened 4 servers !

maniaplanet://#join=storn9@EliteAlternative@fleo
maniaplanet://#join=eliteal2@EliteAlternative@fleo
maniaplanet://#join=eliteal3@EliteAlternative@fleo
maniaplanet://#join=eliteal4@EliteAlternative@fleo

I'm working on some glitches, let me know if there is something wrong.
Follow me on my maniaflash. Try the new elitealternative! Feedbacks on this post. :thumbsup:

fleo

Post by fleo »

[Update v0.3] There is the last changelog:

->New stuff:
fixed the big glitch which prevented to switch weapons, kill someone and cap pole
head-shot sound played for the shooter and the victim
weapons icons are nucleus for shotgun and arrow for grenade (just next to the reload bar)
new grenade with a lower bouncing speed (BouncingGrenade2.Action.Gbx)
new shotgun with a lower speed, and new visuals: the tail is now bigger and of the colour of the team (Shotgun3.Action.Gbx)
continuous mouse scroll enabled by default (the other option is disabled for the moment)

->I'm working on:
fix hit messages for custom weapons ("player1 hit player2" and "player1 eliminated player2" instead of "player2 has been eliminated")
+1 messages for custom weapons displayed for spectators
head-shot sound played for everyone
head-shot and weapon switch sounds included in the pack
weapon switch sounds played with less latency
bringing back the alternative to continuous mouse scroll (scroll-up for a weapon and scroll-down for the other)

->I need help for:
shotgun and grenade icons
shotgun and grenade hit icons (one for +1 and a different for +2)
cross-hairs for the shotgun and the grenade
design of the station
a hit sound for +2 different from the one for +1

Pack, scripts, weapons, sounds, images and templates here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2sa2hktd9jc2 ... ofIzNc9ZCa

fleo

Post by fleo »

Thanks to Nerpson, we finally have a design!

Station (still image) :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fcrousk3s8zb ... .17.14.png

Menu (replay on a map) :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qima1ul0bpk4u ... .18.23.png

Thanks very much dude :clap: It's included in the last update, I'm waiting for your feedbacks ;)

PS: I'm still looking for people specialized in picture creations to make custom weapons icons.

fleo

Post by fleo »

[Update v0.5] I don't know if anyone is interested but there's the last changelog :yes: I'll spread the update tomorrow

->New stuff:
fixed the big glitch which prevented to switch weapons, kill someone and cap pole (improved solution)
fixed the reloading sound loop really annoying!
fixed hit messages for custom weapons ("player1 hit player2" and "player1 eliminated player2" instead of "player2 has been eliminated")
fixed the sixth hit icon wasn't displayed
fixed aoe of the grenade sometimes didn't make damages
fixed possible +3 with the shotgun (so now it makes a +1 as soon as one bullet hits and a +2 if all the bullets hit)
added a setting the choose between 4, 5 or 6 bullets shot by the shotgun (temporary)
+1 messages for custom weapons displayed for spectators
headshot sound played for everyone
weapon switch sounds played with less latency
brought back the alternative to continuous mouse scroll (scroll-up for a weapon and scroll-down for the other) always display at the top left of the screen
added a link to the forum on the top right of the screen
new shotgun and grenade icons (more in shootmania spirit)
shotgun and grenade hit icons
crosshairs for the shotgun and the grenade

->I'm working on:
weapon switch sounds played with no latency
different (bigger?) hit icons for +2
different sound for +2
Finding any other glitch and balancing the game, I need your help about that ^^

->I need help for:
better shotgun and grenade icons
better shotgun and grenade hit icons (one for +1 and a different for +2)
improved cross-hairs for the shotgun and the grenade
a hit sound for +2 different from the one for +1

Pack, scripts, weapons, sounds, images and templates here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2sa2hktd9jc2 ... ofIzNc9ZCa
Last edited by fleo on 06 Jun 2014, 01:05, edited 5 times in total.

novationx

Post by novationx »

Keep it up mate ;)
Ill check this out real soon.
The neverending waiting game has to stop.
fleo

Post by fleo »

Thanks for the feedback, that cheers me up :thx:

I hope to release the final version soon :3

fleo

Post by fleo »

[Update v0.6] Big change in the gameplay, see the first point ;)

->New stuff:
weapons now reload only when they are equipped
fixed the reloading sound loop really annoying! (improved)
remove the possibility to play with nucleus and arrow
fixed when weapon switch stayed stuck for a short duration (not sure)
colored hit icons for +2
weapon switch sounds played with no latency
persistent data to keep the mouse wheel setting
grenade crosshair mixed with arrow crosshair (test)

->I'm working on:
add practice mode (to play 1v3 with only 4 players on the server)
add weapon switch during warm-up
add descriptions of the new weapons in the rules
fix a little bug display of crosshair and weapon icon when switching weapon

->I need help for:
balancing weapons (number of projectiles, reload times, ...)
different shotgun and grenade hit icons for +2
different hit sound for +2

[Quick update v0.62]:
fixed weapon switch sounds played twice
added cooldown to custom weapons (when switching)

Return to “Workbench”