Planets

Discuss everything related to Maniaplanet.

Moderator: English Moderator

Hylis
Nadeo
Nadeo

Re: Planets

Post by Hylis »

yes, it is in Maniaplanet 2.0

really sorry, like I said for the delay, we do our best but have many topics to move forward at the same time, and the economics was a big one that requires big tests as well.
om23

Post by om23 »

Hylis wrote:yes, it is in Maniaplanet 2.0

really sorry, like I said for the delay, we do our best but have many topics to move forward at the same time, and the economics was a big one that requires big tests as well.
is it in or is it going to be tested in mp2?
═╦═╔╦╗LAN-Party »»» :pil :pop: :pil
FrivolousSam

Post by FrivolousSam »

I'm not really seeing the POINT of this whole planets deal. This seems like a silly limitation on a scene that is supposed to revolve around community sharing and stuff like that. Why should I need to pay virtual money to use a modded car skin someone made? Why should I need to pay virtual money to make a "group" or have a private match with some friends? There's also some costs for sharing stuff through manialink, but I really have no idea what that's about, as far as I know all community modding and file sharing is done through maniapark.com, I'm assuming the manialink is something they plan to bring forward more later but it doesn't look particularly interesting or useful.

There are two possible scenarios with this planets business, either

a) you sometimes don't have enough planets to do what you want to do

In this case it's a retarded and pointless limitation on the players, or

b) you always have enough planets to do what you want to do

In which case the existence of planets is nullified, they don't factor into anything so they are just wasted computation.

I've never spent any of the 6000+ planets I've accumulated, but I've always been slightly confused and bothered by the fact that they are there. Also what the hell is an "official try" in solo mode? I'm like half way through the third set of solo mode levels and I hit the restart key on average like 20 times before getting the run that gives me the gold medal and I have no idea what an official try is supposed to be.
Find me in game as "Tobias"
tcq

Post by tcq »

FrivolousSam wrote: Why should I need to pay virtual money to use a modded car skin someone made?
Maybe to reward that person and acknowledge the amount of time and creativity this person invested to make something you think is good?
Nearly each racing game uses this kind of system. You need to invest the game currency to pay for better cars. In some games this means faster cars (e.g. NFS, GT) in other games this simply means that you are able to customise your car (e.g. TrackMania) or your character (which costs money in games like BFH or in MMO-games).
In the end effect it comes out to the personalisation of the game. You can earn planets (lottery games, solo mode, earning LP)and then invest them again. The only difference to other games is, that it doesn't make your car faster.
Remember that this community is designed for a "create" and award "creativity".
om23

Post by om23 »

FrivolousSam wrote:as far as I know all community modding and file sharing is done through maniapark.com
not all, just for example, I don´t share my creative works at skins, horns, maps and game-customs on maniapark or mania-exchange.

for the players it is easier to get a car from a manialink, becouse it is automaticly downloaded in right folder!

don´t bother about the planets you have, if you do, there are several possibilities to have less.
donating on servers is a good choice I think ;)
FrivolousSam

Post by FrivolousSam »

tcq wrote:Maybe to reward that person and acknowledge the amount of time and creativity this person invested to make something you think is good?
Nearly each racing game uses this kind of system. You need to invest the game currency to pay for better cars. In some games this means faster cars (e.g. NFS, GT) in other games this simply means that you are able to customise your car (e.g. TrackMania) or your character (which costs money in games like BFH or in MMO-games).
In the end effect it comes out to the personalisation of the game. You can earn planets (lottery games, solo mode, earning LP)and then invest them again. The only difference to other games is, that it doesn't make your car faster.
Remember that this community is designed for a "create" and award "creativity".
But planets aren't actually worth anything, so giving someone planets for a car skin isn't really rewarding them in any meaningful way. This again begs the question, why do they exist at all?
om23 wrote:not all, just for example, I don´t share my creative works at skins, horns, maps and game-customs on maniapark or mania-exchange.

for the players it is easier to get a car from a manialink, becouse it is automaticly downloaded in right folder!

don´t bother about the planets you have, if you do, there are several possibilities to have less.
donating on servers is a good choice I think ;)
Where do you even go to find players manialinks? They seem to be extremely obscure and well hidden, because I've never seen or used one, and I play TM2 quite a bit.
Find me in game as "Tobias"
om23

Post by om23 »

at first there was a sub menu where you could browse registred manialinks.
don´t ask me why nadeo removed this, this was the first place to see all!!

a second solution was ported from tm1, maniapub,
it lets manialink owners advertise for their manialinks.
you can see the ads in the right-bottom corner,
it changes when you change the menu.

but for now it is only activated on canyon and maybe storm, but not in the maniaplanet thing at the left side (after start).

for quick check, go to my manialink :) it´s lolzone, just write it in the address bar on the top.

happy planetary whatever, of course planets are worthless for the world, but they are not worthless in the game.
oiram456

Post by oiram456 »

U can buy Title packs like Platform mode etc in Maniaplanet with Planets in the future.
Specs: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 | Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz | 4,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24) | ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68-V (LGA1155) | 1920x1080@60Hz|2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
AlexKF

Post by AlexKF »

oiram456 wrote:U can buy Title packs like Platform mode etc in Maniaplanet with Planets in the future.
Source?
fyem

Post by fyem »

AlexKF wrote:
oiram456 wrote:U can buy Title packs like Platform mode etc in Maniaplanet with Planets in the future.
Source?
-> on maniaplanet 2.0 pull everything done to see all the available titles.
-> click on the plus
-> click on "edit" for create new titles
-> click on create new

There you can see an input field called "price"

I would assume that nadeos created titles will be mostly free, but player created content will be purchaseable

Return to “Maniaplanet”