Shootmania deleted outloook and documents on uninstall!!

Discuss everything related to Shootmania.

Moderator: English Moderator

karrtoon

Shootmania deleted outloook and documents on uninstall!!

Post by karrtoon »

Here is what happened, be aware when uninstalling.

I received my beta key, installed the client to the E:\ drive. I also tried to choose an directory to save my profile data, tried to choose the same folder, but it said "you cannot install to the same directory" so I chose the documents folder where all my other profile data is, such as skyrim, battlefield 3, etc.

Well, I started the game and could not login because I did not have my "user id" but I had the e-mail. It would not let me recover the user ID without contacting ubisoft, I tried to do that but still didn't work. I got fed up and decided to uninstall the game...

This went very bad, it asked if I wanted to remove all shootmania personal data, records, etc. (I didn't have any anyway and I couldn't get in the game) I clicked yes.

Well immediately after, I tried to start outlook to check e-mails, and it said PST file is missing or corrupt! So i went to the documents folder where the "outlook files" folder is, and the folder was almost completely empty. The uninstaller completely deleted all of my stuff, all skyrim save games, battlefield 3, and most importantly my outlook pst file, which has all of my business contacts. I didn't even get to play the game either. This is a HUGE problem with the uninstaller and needs to be fixed. Luckily, I have a backup from two weeks ago but still furious, lost all my save games.

Word of warning, do not choose "documents" manually when choosing where to put profile data on the installation wizard.

(also, it was definitely the uninstaller, I was using outlook not 5 minutes before uninstalling the game, not a bad hard drive, nothing like that)
Last edited by karrtoon on 14 Jul 2012, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
TMarc

Re: Shootmania deleted outloook and documents on uninstall!!

Post by TMarc »

This is very bad. :oops:
Try not to write anything unnecessary on this PC.
Get a portable uneraser tool on a different PC, extract it on a USB key, and try to restore at least your outlook folder.
Good luck!
karrtoon

Post by karrtoon »

I am running recovery program now, active file recovery.. hopefully this works.
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

Just by curiosity, the recycle bin does not contain the missing files? :oops:
maniaracer

Post by maniaracer »

To be on the side of Nadeo, anyone who installs game files to a main operating system directory is being foolish i.e. not paying attention to the installer :teub:

More info in this thread - http://forum.maniaplanet.com/viewtopic. ... 26&t=11959
karrtoon

Post by karrtoon »

Nope, recycling bin was completely empty. Also, I Did not install to main os directory as he mentions above, I installed to the E drive because I have a solid state drive that is almost out of space. During the install it gives you 2 check boxes for saving your profile data to another drive, I chose to do documents folder on the C drive for this, as all of my other profile data for other games is also there by default (skyrim, etc) I only chose documents after learning It would not let me use the same directory as E:\ManiaPlanet for profile data. i figured it wouldn't take up to much space for just profile data so chose documents as that was probably the default anyway. During uninstall it deleted all files in the C:\users\myname\documents folder. I dunno just be careful choosing the documents folder for profile data.
Last edited by karrtoon on 14 Jul 2012, 01:31, edited 1 time in total.
maniaracer

Post by maniaracer »

karrtoon wrote:Nope, I Did not install to main os directory as he mentions above, I chose to do documents for on the C drive, for the profile data only
:roflol:
karrtoon

Post by karrtoon »

I'm just trying to help ppl, stop trolling.. "PROFILE DATA ONLY". you are confused and not reading what I wrote. I said I installed the GAME to the E DRIVE.. the profile data to the C, it defaults to the c drive anyway, it is only a problem when you manually choose the documents folder.
TheGrimLavaLamp

Post by TheGrimLavaLamp »

maniaracer can be safely ignored. He's not a constructive poster.
maniaracer

Post by maniaracer »

So installing to C:\Documents is not a main OS dir. ?
I wonder who's trolling who

we are freaks./test some of the best?

old school: n|fragmasters (Steam: gimpy) :teub:
Last edited by maniaracer on 14 Jul 2012, 09:09, edited 8 times in total.

Return to “Shootmania”