Announcing the 10th Anniversary Creative Competitions!

Discuss everything related to Trackmania 2.

Moderator: English Moderator

pmanacas

Re: Announcing the 10th Anniversary Creative Competitions!

Post by pmanacas »

Johkr wrote:
pmanacas wrote: The push fwd rule is plain ununderstandable... period . Give me one good reason why that would make the competition more fun or more creative and not less?
I understand you and many are upset by this. We had to consider a broad range of players from beginners to advanced since the winning tracks will be available to all. However, think of it as a creative challenge! When life gives you limitations, find creative ways to extend beyond those!

*This daily inspiration is brought to you by Johkr* :roflol:

PS: Please don't boycott, I like you guys. :3
I understand what you are saying, we do this every month with the MX MTC, a theme to inpose limits and see how creative people can be within those limitations. its just a question of not finding it adequate for the ocasion in question here.

But to be honest i don't care too much. my community in MX not the nadeo forums. I like to spend my time mapping and playing other peoples tracks. I don't even own Stadium2. so never mind my opinions!

see u
Hello! I am pfm
MrA

Post by MrA »

Johkr wrote:This definitely was not our intention. We want people to take their time and be creative. I will personally try to see to it that if anyone submits placeholder content or spams entries, they will be disqualified.

Great questions and concerns. I know many of you feel this way. Unfortunately, now that the contest has started, we are unable to change the rules due to legal reasons.
Legal reasons? For the limit on entries I seriously doubt there is a valid legal reason. In any case you won't be able to tell what a 'placeholder' is, and while the 'legal stuff' might let you delete it, I doubt you would get community support to disqualify people even if you could spot them bending the rules. (and actually you would have caused it by your rules)

People should be entitled to modify their maps until the deadline.... 60 places does not work with a deadline. If its a race, then have 60 places, if its about doing the best you can then open up the places. Pls decide which it will be quickly so that if we need to, we can modify our front page news to tell people to post maps as fast as they can because of your stupid rules.

There is no need to worry about unmanageable numbers, it will be fine.

Its not a difficult choice to make, pls don't make a mess of this for reasons that don't exist. :shock:
Last edited by MrA on 28 Oct 2013, 19:20, edited 14 times in total.
Enjoying TMOne
osaka-san
Translator
Translator

Post by osaka-san »

Johkr, the first block in all of my tracks post 2011 is a turn. I have a fancy Fun Trackers tag which means that I spend most of my TM time either mapping or testing maps, and I'm probably decent at it too. I just can't build a PF start, I don't like them anymore. And as I said, replayability is a KEY factor on a track, and a PF start reduces replayability to nonexistence about 99% of the times. It might even affect judging, because you can't judge a track properly with your first run and you don't want to see a 15 second intro to a 35 second track each and every time you restart it, which means less testing, rushed judging and even more subjective results if possible. It's a gamble I can't take.

In fact, I took gambles making tracks for contests that weren't good on the replayability department. Let's just say I didn't do too well. In fact, I ended dead last in one of them. Granted that I made what could be considered a trollmap, but it still validates my point - it was too hard to even finish within a reasonable amount of time, so it was brought down. I didn't mind then and I don't mind now, because I know that the map was the craziest piece of block connection I could come up with. I wouldn't be able to finish it if I tried it now, and I built it myself.

I'm saying this trying to help you, honestly. There's nothing that would bug me more than a 10th anniversary contest with 2 entries. And in a close second is a 10th anniversary contest with a healthy amount of tracks that are sub-par and similar to each other. And sadly, this ruleset kind of encourages that, because after a rolling start of 10/15 seconds it's hard to build a proper 25/40 second track. I don't know if you noticed, but the stadium car is FAST, and after 10 seconds of PF it gets to a point where either the PF has been so utterly boring you give the entire track a 0/10 or you're too fast to do anything outside of generic FS. And I wouldn't want to judge 30 generic FS tracks.

I'm asking you to seriously reconsider the PF start issue. It's not of any help to judges, mappers or drivers. It can work the first run or if you're an easily impressed little kid. And after 20 consecutive PF starts you begin to wonder why did you actually put PF start in the rulebook. I've done that whole testing tracks with PF starts thing. It sucks. Big time.

But this game's been around for 10 years now, there aren't many of those easily impressed little kids around when you look at the bigger picture.

I can't even recognise the kid that took TMS the 19th of January of 2006 as myself, even if the machine I used back then is sitting at the right of my laptop. And that probably happens to a lot of the (young) OGs, who are the ones actually excited for the 10th anniversary. Or do you really think that these new players that got TM² Stadium with a box of Smacks even knew what TM was back in 2005? Or 2010? Most of them are just happy to get a free game, and it happens to be one of the most amazing ones on earth. And they get the news that the game is 10 years old and they think "10 years? Never seen it anywhere! I got it on these Smacks because it was free! I think they're lying" and move on with their lives. And I know because I showed this to a classmate (Computer Science, btw) and he thought it was a new indie game around.

And there are plenty of other ways to give my tracks to the new drivers. I have a couple of them that aren't impossible. I even have one in a 100k server and it's not a league track, so people notrain it for WORLD RECORDS. It can't be that hard.

And this sounds elitist (which I am), but I don't really want the newer players to play my tracks, because they took 4 years of building crap before they started to look decent. It kind of discourages you to see so many good maps around and you can't do the same. And (I Apologize in advance for this expression) they're ass in this TM.

tl;dr:
  • PF STARTS AREN'T GOOD FOR YOU BECAUSE:
  • They become boring over time
  • Which affects the judging
  • Which affects the results
  • Plus they end up being lower quality tracks
  • And too generic as one
Best regards, the undercover Spanish
eyebo
Translator
Translator

Post by eyebo »

As Johkr said, there will be more contests in the future.

This contest isn't just about the contest, but also the LAN event at the end of it. So I understand why a single environment was chosen. Stadium is actually a decent choice if you had to pick one. It has brought in the most players to the TM universe.

I like restrictions for contests. They force you to be creative and build differently than you normally would. This is why the Monthly Track Contest on TMX always has a different theme with certain restrictions or requirements.

Instead of continuing to complain about the 10-15sec PF rule, I'm going to embrace it and do my best to build a Stadium track within the rules.

As Johkr said, these weren't his decisions. They were made before he joined the team. But I do appreciate his very proactive approach to the community in the short time he's been here so far. I want to support his continued efforts and not give him more grief than is necessary.

Let's show him & Nadeo how we, the community, can rise to the occasion and do some awesome and creative stuff!

Gogogo! :pil

Also, we should bear in mind that this isn't the only way the community will be celebrating the 10th Anniversary. So I don't think we should get overly upset over some rules we're maybe disappointed in.
Former QC Manager at Ubisoft Nadeo.
My tracks on: Mania Exchange (TM2) | TrackMania Exchange (TMUF)

For the devs: Ryzen 7 1800X / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 (477.22) @ 3840x2160 / Win10 64bit
meuh21

Post by meuh21 »

eyebo wrote:
Contest Rules wrote:Videos may only use footage related to TrackMania2 titles. This includes clips from trailers, in-game play, or any community created video content directly related to TrackMania.
Only TM2? I can't even imagine creating a video about the 10th Anniversary of TM and leaving out TMN or TMUF, not to mention some of other games that helped get us to 10 years.
Just use french rules... : "5. Les vidéos peuvent seulement utiliser des images provenant des jeux TrackMania ou TrackMania2. Cela inclut les images des bande-annonces, des images du jeu, ou de toute vidéo créée par la communauté et ayant un lien avec TrackMania.
6. Les participants ne peuvent soumettre qu’une seule vidéo et peuvent éditer celle-ci une fois soumise."
http://blog.maniaplanet.com/fr/2013/10/ ... -officiel/

My contest entry : http://youtu.be/4KH0VJ4bqnk

Thanks to the video makers community for his huge contribution in TM story :thx: .
Sorry also because i don't use videos of everyone but with "10 years in video makers eyes" show the skill of the whole community. For example Crusard videos are not in but planes sequence is directlys inspired by him.

Maybe could be interesting to have a special topic for video contest ;) :pop:
Last edited by meuh21 on 28 Oct 2013, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

meuh21 wrote:Maybe could be interesting to have a special topic for video contest ;) :pop:
Great idea! :thumbsup:
Done: 10th Anniversary Creative Competitions: Videos :)
tm2massa

Post by tm2massa »

Johkr wrote:
killaprodtm wrote:Why are only a few countries allowed to participate?
SapphiroN wrote:I wont lie: super disappointed to not be able to participate because of my nationality. What's the reason behind this?
I just checked on this and we published an incorrect version of the official rules. Please note that the contests are open for:

Legal residents of the fifty (50) United States (and the District of Columbia), Brazil, Canada, France and Germany, Italy, Spain, Benelux, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Poland, Romania, England, Austria, Switzerland, Portugal, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Serbia, Russia, Turkey, China, South Africa, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Australia and New Zealand.

My apologies for the confusion! :pil

All documents are now updated.
Wait i can't enter to competition because im form Croatia? please answer i already started to edit video so if this is true i don't want to work for nothing :/

btw If Serbia can enter competition why Croatia can't i mean really weird.... :? (if its true)
Alinoa

Post by Alinoa »

The countries list may be incomplete. All nations represented in TM1 and TM2 should be listed so contests should be open for Croatian players as well. I will keep you informed as soon as possible.
Ubisoft Support
Your Player Page

More information about maniaplanet, support, contents, community activities: useful links

ManiaPlanet technical documentation portal (Dedicated server, Mediatracker, ManiaLink, ManiaScript, Titles...)
Omnixor
Translator
Translator

Post by Omnixor »

why didn't you say this earlier? :(
- staff head of ESL TM²Stadium -
Alinoa

Post by Alinoa »

Hey don't worry you have still time to take part into contests ;)
Actually I informed you as soon as possible :oops: And I'm sorry for not being able to provide you with this information sooner :oops:
Ubisoft Support
Your Player Page

More information about maniaplanet, support, contents, community activities: useful links

ManiaPlanet technical documentation portal (Dedicated server, Mediatracker, ManiaLink, ManiaScript, Titles...)

Return to “Trackmania 2”