Suggestion+Complaint: Map sizes and lightmap quality in 2020

Discuss everything related to Maniaplanet.

Moderator: English Moderator

Harest

Re: Suggestion+Complaint: Map sizes and lightmap quality in 2020

Post by Harest »

TMarc wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 10:35 That's not true. In France they have had gigabit optical fibre to the homes much earlier than in Germany for example.
Of course it depends where you are living and which backbone is available.
Currently I for example can only have DSL with 50MBit/s, no fibre, no cable. And this not very far from a big city. It's just an old outskirt town part.
Fibre will be available soon in the next street, but surprisingly not ours...
I live in France. Do you want to talk about the %age of coverage with that "gigabit optical fiber"? :lol: Spoiler: It's ridiculous.
You're overestimating Internet access in France WAY too much. The fiber i've for instance is a poor FTTB 100/5Mb. This upload is trash. Even the few lucky ones that have VDSL2+ are able to get a better upload. Sure, the download is okay.
A lot of people still have an ADSL connection without much more than 1-10 Mbits download.

The grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence.
oliverde8

Post by oliverde8 »

Well what needs to be taken into consideration with the internet that evolved over the years is that:

- people that used to have crappy internet have now an even crappier internet for today's standard; best case scenario they went from a theoretical 10mbit to a 20mbit connection.
- people that had a great connection for the time still have a great connection but for today's standards. They went from having 20mbit adsl to 500mbit fiber.

This is something that most website don't take into consideration as well.
Developper for The next generation, Clean and Powerfull controller eXpansion for your SM & TM server . Working on eXpansion² with full MP4 support and many other awesome features...
MatheusKS

Post by MatheusKS »

As far as maps are still files, not streamable packets and not having 9798279793279479278942473297 maps downloaded (like I have :roflol: ) I totally agree with all this. ManiaPlanet needs a graphic overhaul (on engine level)

(As curiosity regarding connections, where I live 50-100 Mbps or more are sold only for companies usually, ISPs don't sell these kind of connections to consumers. Wireless networks are common, with fibre/DSL only on few selected places. A friend living in Australia said there's worse).
CPU: Ryzen 7 2600; Video: GeForce 1070; RAM: 16GB; also known as The Lil' Electricity Bill Booster. In-game as <MATKS95>
bobbotheclown

Post by bobbotheclown »

In my opinion it really begs the question; why are light maps the standard in the first place? Why aren't the highest quality ones default? Also file size restrictions have been an issue literally since the launch of custom models, and I think anyone who has worked with models at all will agree it bottlenecks the idea of having the feature to a point where it's unusable.

This isn't even a standard of 2007, in 2007 there were games with way larger map sizes downloaded from host servers. For example, counter strike source, counterstrike 1.6 even. Where that is a regular thing that occurs, to this day and I think highlights the potential of a game with these kinds of restrictions removed.

The main factor really appears to be that people are willing download larger maps, as long as its not fucking ridiculous. I have a 20mbps utter trash dsl connection. Basically it was never an issue for me in the prior mentioned games as long as the maps weren't over 50-60 mb. Quick bottlenecking your products nadeo.
roughly translated: the book of the dead.
McBain

Post by McBain »

For me its great that in tm the file sizes are so small. Still I agree with the above opinions that a bit more would be acceptable without any issues for anyone.

Return to “Maniaplanet”