MapEdit - A blockmixing tool for Maniaplanet games

Moderators: Xymph, NADEO

totoph

Re: MapEdit - A blockmixing tool for Maniaplanet games

Post by totoph »

A very thanks Yoshi, for your work here !!
How many time i've been waiting for a tools like that !!

A suggestion for future update : do you think possible, when we select one bloc, to have near the tools, a window who show us a representation of the bloc ? to be sure, select the good one ;)

I've seen a bug, but i'm sure you know it : water can't be editing, isn't it ? when you try to edit it, maniaplanet crash ever... :( but maybe it's an error from me ???

BTW : again thanks a lot and to be continued !! :D :thumbsup:
TGYoshi

Post by TGYoshi »

totoph wrote:A suggestion for future update : do you think possible, when we select one bloc, to have near the tools, a window who show us a representation of the bloc ? to be sure, select the good one ;)
Issue with graphical representations are that you need the graphics in first place. They're stored somewhere in a .pak file in %programdata%. It's a pain to get the graphics out of those files so I will unlikely add support for graphical representations.
There is some plugin for the editor in-game which shows the block name (as it appears in MapEdit) in the editor while you have the block selected, though. It might help.
totoph wrote:I've seen a bug, but i'm sure you know it : water can't be editing, isn't it ? when you try to edit it, maniaplanet crash ever... :( but maybe it's an error from me ???
It should just work, I see no reason why it shouldn't work :P.
=3
totoph

Post by totoph »

Thx for your answers ;)
I'll try again for water and tell you.
Great job !
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

TGYoshi wrote:Issue with graphical representations are that you need the graphics in first place. They're stored somewhere in a .pak file in %programdata%. It's a pain to get the graphics out of those files so I will unlikely add support for graphical representations.
There is some plugin for the editor in-game which shows the block name (as it appears in MapEdit) in the editor while you have the block selected, though. It might help.
WhiteStart did a huge job to make small images from the game, perhaps you can use those:
Easier way to insert block images in forum ;)
TGYoshi

Post by TGYoshi »

Even though I appriciate his work, it isn't suitable since the images are scaled by Nadeo's UI system, are screenshots, thus have borders and are slightly inconsistent.
Maybe if I'm bored I might parse the full-resolution rendered images from the .pak files to show, but it's certainly not planned.
=3
Fix
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by Fix »

Icons are stored inside the .gbx of the blockinfos now.
For TMO to UF I did all icons by hand (screenshot in the edtior, create mask and additional infos in photoshop, save as .tga , drop into the blockinfo, etc...) .
Now it's more powerfull to update them (helpers changes, textures changes, etc...) because they are directly done in the editor like the macroblocks, but it's internal.
TGYoshi

Post by TGYoshi »

So far I've been unable to locate those gbx file (as a result I simply suspect they're in the environment its .pak file), but decoding the binary data can be pretty time consuming as well.
Might be possible to save every block as macroblock, then parsing the macroblock for the icon produced by the game, though. But that's so much work to do manually :P.
=3
Whitestar

Post by Whitestar »

Thanks again for this tool, I love it! :thumbsup:

I have a request: Would it be possible to make the Open dialog always point to "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\ManiaPlanet\Maps\" or wherever the OS places that folder? Or alternatively make an option where you can specify that folder yourself?

Would be a lot more comfy if I didn't have to paste the path myself all the time. :)

Oh and how about a search and replace function? Search for for instance all StadiumMainRoad with elevation 10 and set their elevation to 8. For example. Not sure if it can be done, but it would simplify things. :)
TGYoshi

Post by TGYoshi »

Whenever I get onto it again I'll strongly consider adding a preferences file with such things (recently opened files, saving file open/save dialog folder....) for sure, thanks for the suggestion.

Search and replace will not come since that's just not how it works :P.
Multiselection will allow you to select some amount of blocks and using relative position modification you can move them all -2 on the Y axis, for example. At least, that's how I currently imagine it working :P.
=3
TGYoshi

Post by TGYoshi »

Quick update for Valley support.
Same download link.
=3

Return to “General Tools”