Analog game controllers.

Discuss everything related to Trackmania 2.

Moderator: English Moderator

TheDoctor

Analog game controllers.

Post by TheDoctor »

Is there a list of tested game controllers?
In particular I am talking about steering wheels and joysticks. I have a Microsoft Force Feedback Racing wheel. It is getting very old and is falling apart after all these years playing Trackmania. I have been trying to find a suitable replacement but I am having trouble finding a new one that works as well.
I have tried Thrustmaster RGT Force Feedback Clutch but it doesn't center at all well. The steering is excellent but if it doesn't center it makes it difficult to go off jumps at an angle. This wheel should be selectable for centering itself or letting the game do it. Auto center by the wheel is a joke it doesn't even get it anywhere close.10 degrees off either way. The game won't center the wheel at all like it did with the MS wheel.

Bottom line:
Is there a reference list of acceptable hardware that will be supported for Mania planet?
jamie_macdonald

Re: Analog game controllers.

Post by jamie_macdonald »

Nope, there will not be any support documentation until release,

Having said that, i'm pretty sure that all modern USB controllers will be fine with it.

I would reccommend for steering wheel the logitech g25 or g27 (quite expensive but very adjustable), for joystick i use a Logitech Extreme 3d pro and pad for me is Logitech chillstream for PC, (alot of people dont like that pad, but it's my fav of them all, Zooz recommended the Joystick and it's very good for noslide).
RunSlingan

Post by RunSlingan »

Most TM players use the Xbox-360 usb controller.
Im thinking of buying it.
Swe.ad'Runslingan

TM 2 Canyon PRO!
Boumsong

Post by Boumsong »

Lots of players (me included) use the Xbox pad. However, the very best players use Joysticks because they are a good balance between a pad and a wheel.
Image [CMC]Boumsong Image
RunSlingan

Post by RunSlingan »

I use my keyboard. but im gonna buy me a xbox controller :P Hopeing i get better at TM :D
Swe.ad'Runslingan

TM 2 Canyon PRO!
Knutselmaaster

Post by Knutselmaaster »

TheDoctor wrote: I have tried Thrustmaster RGT Force Feedback Clutch but it doesn't center at all well. The steering is excellent but if it doesn't center it makes it difficult to go off jumps at an angle. This wheel should be selectable for centering itself or letting the game do it. Auto center by the wheel is a joke it doesn't even get it anywhere close.10 degrees off either way. The game won't center the wheel at all like it did with the MS wheel.
Just an idea:
Raising the deadzone ingame doesn't solve your problem?
Tuta
Translator
Translator

Post by Tuta »

I usually play with a xbox360 controller but have a Logitech driving force GT wheel that will work if you install the software for wheels from here: http://www.wingmanteam.com

DFGT isn't in the lsit but it worked great, centers correctly and everything :)
Haven't actually translated anything...

GTX 670 Windforce
I5 3570k
Corsair 8GB 1600mhz
XFX Pro Series 650W
1TB 7200rpm HDD

Edit: More like school laptop nowadays..
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Excellent replies gents! Thanks. I'm most likely taking this wheel back to the store Monday. The store has a G27 in stock for almost $100 more. I don't like that Idea. No Saitek wheels either.
But before that I will try raising the dead zone and re-installing the latest driver. I am also migrating from 64bit Vista to Win7. Maybe that environment will be better to this Wheel. I am going to pull out an old Sidewinder joystick and try that too. I love no slide Island. ;) A game pad isn't working for me yet.
But I have still yet to determine if this one is just a lemon.

Update----------------
I tried most everything that is possible to change. I still get no adequate centering. Expanding the dead zone helped a bit but it made for excessive play that made the steering too slow in technical situations. I found the acceleration issue was caused but the analog mode( single axis,double axis or three axis.) If you have a single axis slider the game expects you to use it for both acceleration and deceleration thus it goes in reverse at the start if you don't don't have the gas pressed half way down. Changing the launcher input settings in conjunction with the controller settings resolved all the acceleration issues.
I took back the wheel and tried another new one and still no centering. I have found a G27 Logitech for $230(ouch) and it is on order.
more Later-----------
SpeedBean

Post by SpeedBean »

I tryed using an xbox controller, but I've used the keyboard to play since I was 9. So using anything else just feels weird.
Knutselmaaster

Post by Knutselmaaster »

if steering is too slow you can try raise the analog sensitivity to compensate.

Now, lets get back on topic as we are talking TMF instead of TM2, which has it's own forums, full of people who have already experienced these kind of things. ;)

Return to “Trackmania 2”