[SOLVED] Dedimania outage 2019-07-31

Moderators: Xymph, NADEO

Xymph

[SOLVED] Dedimania outage 2019-07-31

Post by Xymph »

Server admins may have noticed that Dedimania is not responding, website nor API etc. The reason is that the server did not return after the weekly reboot early this morning. Slig has been notified, but because he is on vacation it takes longer than usual until he can look into it and bring the server back online. Your patience is appreciated. ;)
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub
ItsPhenom

Re: Dedimania outage

Post by ItsPhenom »

And thats why you should have more than just one guy with access to fix problems on such a project, just in case something crashs and one guy alone isn't enough to maintain it. :P But hey, stuff like this can happen from time to time.
nighthawk4571

Post by nighthawk4571 »

Thanks Xymph. A very rare occurrence in what has been an excellent service for the community over the years. :thumbsup:
Getting old, forgetting most of what I ever learned !
My name is Nighthawk. The 4571 used to be my IQ. :shock:

Admin: http://bagracing.freeforums.org/portal.php
U-tUbe: https://www.youtube.com/user/bvnighthawk
Chris92
Translator
Translator

Post by Chris92 »

While this basically has never happened before, this just goes to show how crucial a single point of failure (in this case Slig being on holidays) can be. I know it's a free service to the community, but obviously it doesn't run itself without some proper maintenance here and there (or even development of new features / re-working the system?)

I'd suggest once its back that Slig thinks about recruiting one or two trusted people to also have access in case something like this happens again in the future.
Check out my Personal Twitter account!
Miss

Post by Miss »

Oof.. hope it goes back up soon.

Indeed, I have to agree with everyone here. Without any disrespect towards Slig, I think he should've accepted help and support from multiple members of the community a long time ago. (I know several people have offered their help, Toffe being one of them.) That way the service would be more reliable and probably faster. (Even before today, it has always had reliability issues!)
3080 RTX, Ryzen 3700X, 32GB RAM, Windows 11
Forum moderator, opinions are my own. :thx:
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.
Xymph

Post by Xymph »

FWIW, I have server access (for backups) and database access (for maintenance); just not console or control panel access to deal with this particular kind of problem. Because, as observed, long(er) outages were very rare and have never before coincided with Slig's vacation. That's bad luck, but could become a lesson learned.

As for system improvements/reworking, that's an entirely different subject, and one where being tired of TMF/TM2 factors in as well.
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub
resetas44

Post by resetas44 »

Nice people
Nice project
Nice attention

thanks for all

Resetas
Harest

Post by Harest »

ItsPhenom wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 14:13 And thats why you should have more than just one guy with access to fix problems on such a project, just in case something crashs and one guy alone isn't enough to maintain it. :P But hey, stuff like this can happen from time to time.
To be fair, the service offered by Dedimania should be integrated in the game by default and managed by Nadeo. I was a bit shocked when i discovered how it was managed. Edit: Rereading i thought it could be misleading. I meant it without any offense. I meant it in the way that it was sad to see it wasn't integrated by default in the MP dedicated server.
Miss wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 15:13... (I know several people have offered their help, Toffe being one of them.) ...
I'm not sure Toffe would have the time for any of this. There's already a lot with PyPlanet and other stuff aside.

In any case, such problem has to be managed with the hosting company and if i was in his case, i'm not sure i'd be willing to give access to the web host customer area & e-mail address attached.
eyebo
Translator
Translator

Post by eyebo »

I think for a lot of people Dedimania is this thing in the background. Servers run it. The service is always there, and it's not fully appreciated until it's gone, even if only temporarily.

I would hope the outage would make people more cognizant of its importance to the game, and driven to donate more to it. It really keeps the online competitive aspect of the game alive, knowing that no matter what server you go on, you can compete against some great Dedimania records, whether the local records are that good or not.

Best of luck getting it back online. Thanks to you Xymph, and the work of slig, and anyone else involved. :thx:
Former QC Manager at Ubisoft Nadeo.
My tracks on: Mania Exchange (TM2) | TrackMania Exchange (TMUF)

For the devs: Ryzen 7 1800X / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 (477.22) @ 3840x2160 / Win10 64bit
Xymph

Post by Xymph »

Xymph wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 13:47 Slig has been notified, but because he is on vacation it takes longer than usual until he can look into it and bring the server back online.
Service has been restored.

Return to “General Tools”