A way to add "auto clips" to a custom item ?

Moderator: NADEO

GeP

A way to add "auto clips" to a custom item ?

Post by GeP »

Hi,
Is there any way to add clips to a custom item ?
I've tested the "clip removers" provided by Eybo, and honestly i don't really understand how this work under the hood... But if we could add clips to an item so it just ...well, clips nicely to the standard items, that would be very nice.
Thinking of this about my "Bank to Bank' custom items, for example (and if you happen to know them).
Possible ? Not possible ? Any hint ?
niebo26

Re: A way to add "auto clips" to a custom item ?

Post by niebo26 »

Hi GeP,

First of all, let's explain what clips are. They are part of geometry in a block on the sides (horizontal and/or vertical) that are here to "hide" the base part of the block. They're like "bottle caps" if you want. If you connect 2 blocks with the same kind of clips, clips "cancel each other" (like putting 2 bottles facing each other)
When you make an item from a block, it takes the clips and fuses them with block, the whole item acts as a whole and doesnt have the clips technology behind it.
The only custom geometries that keep use of clips are Custom Blocks : you only edit the base part and it adds clips depending on how the base block behaves in the game data. But you cant add clips that didnt exist in the first place.

Now, on your particuliar case and what eyebo said, if i understand well, you want to make a "bank left to bank right".
It's possible to do so but it's a bit tricky : like eyebo said, you're gonna need what the community calls a clip remover. It's a custom block that contains no base part. And it's normal because we want to connect it to a normal bank block to cancel its clip. If you cancel both of the clips you wanted, you can then put an item in between cleverly acting as a block (witht he Placement Parameters)

Hope it helped !
Niebo
"Don't mesh around !" - ® Haagse, 2019

SUPER SONIC SPEED !

Look for niebo26 in TMU & in TM² :)
GeP

Post by GeP »

Yes, thank you Niebo, it's much clearer now.

About the Bank to Bank items, these are custom items i made and which are already used in many maps : http://www.maniapark.com/ressource.php?id=4186, but the way i did them leaves marks on the road at each borders. I wondered if there was a way to avoid this, or at least to make them compatible with the "clips removers" from Eyebo (which they seem not to be as it).
Have a look and tell me, if you have a little time (i can send you the file, if it's not editable from download). :)
I'm always eager to make more "pro" items...

Thanks again.
niebo26

Post by niebo26 »

Hi GeP,

i'll try to describe a situation on how to use a clip remover in your case. I started with the same situation pictured on the Manipark page

In your case, you'll need to make a clip remover from 1-6-1 block : just create a custom block from it and delete everything (you may need to add a flat ground for the ground variant though !)

After creating it, you'll need to activate mixmapping in the experimental tools (hammer icon in the bottom right of your screen) then place them in that mode so you can do this : (for the sake of illustrating, i kept base blocks ^^)

Now it's all set up for you to place your item ^^
Hope it helped

Niebo
"Don't mesh around !" - ® Haagse, 2019

SUPER SONIC SPEED !

Look for niebo26 in TMU & in TM² :)

Return to “Mesh Modeler”