[suggestion] Respawn at checkpoints

Discuss everything related to Shootmania.

Moderator: English Moderator

insomnia-yamyam

Re: [suggestion] Respawn at checkpoints

Post by insomnia-yamyam »

PapyChampy wrote: To clarify this a bit : the goal of TA in Storm was to have a race on simple maps (and usually short ones) that could be finished multiple times.
Dude, you must be kidding, right? :roll:
Stop making jokes please, thats not funny!

You won't tell us, the users, how long or short, hard or easy, colored or black/white or how to create and build our own maps in any way, ok? :roflol:

Thanks.

I am really sick of such kind of behaviour of blind game developers! :teub:
Then do not even think about doing BETAs and asking for FEEDBACK for your games, if you anyway won't react on critism and stop tormenting your players please. Else you really do not need to wonder why games, which are basically excellent - like trackmania 2 and shootmania, are failing on market because the game creators are blind and deaf to their community!

Fact is: TimeAttack Mode is useless without a working checkpoint respawn!
And please never again tell us that nadeo only wants TA-Maps taht are 10 seconds long and so easy that a 5 y.o. can master it in 2.8 seconds! WE are the creators of the Maps and WE are deciding how they look and feel like. Not nadeo. Thanks
GermanINSOMNIAClan!
Multigaming Fun-Clan since 1998!
» www.I-N-S-O-M-N-I-A.de «

Visit our TM2 and SM Clanserver or download the INSOMNIA TM2-Trackpack or SM-Mappack !
You also find us at both Mania-Exchanges - search "German INSOMNIA Clan"
PapyChampy

Post by PapyChampy »

I was just explaining why this mode has no CP respawns, to help you understand. I don't get why you react so violently.
I don't say it's a good thing or a bad thing. I'm in no position to judge about that. What I know is that there are some good reasons behind this choice (technical, accessibility of the mode, etc), otherwise it probably wouldn't be that way.

If you (or anyone else) want to create expert/hardcore parkour maps, go for it. :thx:

By the way, the last sentences of your post are a bit harsh, and it's probably not the better way to have a constructive debate.
insomnia-yamyam

PapyChampy wrote: By the way, the last sentences of your post are a bit harsh, and it's probably not the better way to have a constructive debate.
I just can't stand wrong acting and reacting game developers who think they can dictate how their players play their games and cut the creativity and possibility of players where it is not necessary, logical and comprehensible at all.

Just react to the criticism and listen carefully to the (sadly small enough) community and everything is fine.

Back to the point and my statement and the believing of a lot of players:
TimeAttack Mode without checkpoint respawn possibility is just useless and frustrating the players!
GermanINSOMNIAClan!

Visit our TM2 and SM Clanserver or download the INSOMNIA TM2-Trackpack or SM-Mappack !
Omnixor
Translator
Translator

Post by Omnixor »

true, true, true.
- staff head of ESL TM²Stadium -
insomnia-yamyam

Omnixor wrote:true, true, true.
Indeed! Absolutely, but i think even if 1000 (instead of 10) players would agree with us, nadeo won't wake up :(
I sometimes think (even more since TM2 has been released one year ago) that nadeo is living in their own "reality". :roflol:
GermanINSOMNIAClan!

MrSunshine58

Post by MrSunshine58 »

Respawning at Checkpoints is a MUST in Time Attack, in my opinion. As well as the ability to set the timelimit, rather than keeping it to 6 minutes. This way, Time Attack can have an enormous depth, i just don't understand why Nadeo would keep it from us. I mean, I have a few friends who just love to explore maps, practicing difficult jumps till they master them, helping the other players who have difficulties with the map, etc etc....This all can make a game a very social happening, where the goal is not fixed to winning, but just to being of a part of the game.
As if you would go mountain climbing with a bunch of friends.

Especcially because in Shootmania you are a person, and not a car, this all would be very cool. I liked the RPG elements in Trackmania, but i missed the freedom of movement (being a car). Now we have Shootmania, but strange enough we must miss the crucial elements Trackmania had. That is pretty paradoxal.

And what i don't understand is: if it will be possible to create your own game and set of rules with scripts on one hand, shouldn't it be able to create a script that mods the current Time Attack script?

The only reason for me to buy the game is the Time Attack mode because I prefer that much better then the superfast nonsense shooting in the other shooting modes. Time Attack has all the ingredients to make superb RPG maps, who will be great fun for the insiders (provided checkpoint respawns and matchlength are implemented) . If Nadeo is afraid that difficult maps will chase the players away, why would they? I mean, i -on my turn- am being chased away from Royal servers because of the superfast gameplay inthere, same thing. Nadeo should realize that RPG maps have their own pace and rythm, and joiners are clever enough to determine if they like a server that hosts these kinds of maps, or not.

So, Nadeo, let the PLAYERS (or better: the buyers) decide what they want, not you....
Eole
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by Eole »

Eole wrote:It's not because the respawn is not implemented in the Time Attack mode that it's not possible at all. As you pointed out, it would be relatively easy to edit the TA mode and convert it into a RPG TA mode. With a spawn block associated with each checkpoint you could restart from there (just as in Siege). But you could also add a lot more features that doesn't really belong in the TA mode but would do really well for RPG.
Quote from earlier in this topic. It's possible to create a game mode that allows to respawn at the last checkpoint. And it's already possible to change the default duration of the Time Attack mode in the server settings.
ManiaScript offers several ways to mod an existing game mode, by example with labels. So players can definitely create a RPG mode like in TrackMania if they want. And we would be really glad to see game modes like that, we don't have anything against it.
Contribute to the ManiaPlanet documentation on GitHub
A question about ManiaScript? Ask it here!
MrSunshine58

Post by MrSunshine58 »

Tx for the reply man, i overlooked your previous post. So, i appologize for my redundant post. I pre-ordered the game now, knowing that the game will offer the stuff I am looking for.
However, I can't find any documentation on how to make or alter (and include) game mode scripts. Is there some link?
Much obliged.
Eole
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by Eole »

There's no real complete tutorial about game mode creation in english for the time being as far as I know. It will come with the release of the game I suppose. You can find a lot of informations about game mode creation on this post: http://forum.maniaplanet.com/viewtopic. ... 79&t=12644

It's possible to generate a documentation of all functions/variables usable in ManiaPlanet: http://forum.maniaplanet.com/viewtopic. ... 02&start=0.

To edit a mode you have to start an ingame server with the script of your choice. After that just press F12 to open the script editor and fiddle with the mode. (Melee is the easiest script to start on)
ManiaScript is still a big work in progress, so a lot of new possibilities will come with time.
Contribute to the ManiaPlanet documentation on GitHub
A question about ManiaScript? Ask it here!

Return to “Shootmania”