So I think we should wait for a week in order to collect best gameplay feedback. Some players requires deepness and gives their oppinions in less than 5 hours of play.
Some things are obvious, like the fact that Nucleus are less powerful in Siege. The reload time can be tweeked by players themselves and I invite them to do so at the moment if they need to. The charge of the bouncing rockets is also quite long since we wanted to avoid too much of change by making it too small. It should be a parameter for the script in the future. The rocket vs laser is something that is disturbing and we may have to put an original lifetime of rocket before they can be denied etc.
Some other things are not done yet. For example, the ambiant sounds should have a separate sound balance, which would make hearing some sounds more easily. The jump sound was too loud before, maybe it is to quiet now, but it also takes time and maybe the previous feature to determine it. We know that we still have work to do on the balance.
All in all, we are in a beta and I prefer to be able to test new things than to get stuck without being capable to experiment more extreme evolutions. The progressive jump is a good example of this. There is nearly 40 people working on the project and some feedbacks of longer time of play can also be made by people here since they play since more than a month with it. So, I think that to ask for a week or two to see more clearly the impact is not too much. Our goal is the same as your, to have the best game as possible.
So, I would say that we should jump to conclusion in a more progressive way ^_^
First comment after one week
I have read everything and will continue
first suggestions would be:
1. Test with a lifetime before the rocket or Nucleus becomes de-activable. Before this time, the laser would go through. I would not suggest to remove this feature who brings some sort of diversity and a way to parry an older rocket as well as making a little wall for defender if anticipated for this. I will also change the color of the +0 which was introduced to give more feedback, like asked by various players.
2. Enable to bind a key with full jump. It will not remove some of the negative feedbacks, but there are some positive as well. So, I suggest to try with a key. I can accept this key since it is an optional one and is not required to be used by new players.
3. Some rare comments are against and many are for reducing the time before people can use them. I will reduce time of charge of bouncing rocket by 20%. Better to go slowly and carefully with this.
4. Sound: maybe we will have to make it louder until we can split the ambiance sound and gameplay sound in the volume settings.
5. For the menus, the server browser will improve, with filters, and always display servers of public modes. If a player does not have the title installed, it will prompt him the option to install it at that moment. It is a big work and we will still do big work on it. Making a 2.0 system, where modes can have their own space, own rankings and community while making it not a trouble for players of Storm in general is a big work. I care less about naming vehicle to character than doing that, it is true.
Some gameplay are also done with some future evolution in mind, like the charge laser. So, the balance can be seen only when the various elements and parameters are in place. It takes time to do, test and adjust, and I hope players are happy that we are trying to make the game richer and better thanks to this. I truly believe it is better that we try to do this instead of doing nothing during the beta on these points.
There are other comments here in the topic that I have read and noted down. I was answering on the most common ones.