Improve blocks & gameplay/movement - Post Suggestions

Discuss everything related to Shootmania.

Moderator: English Moderator

HubbleSM

Re: Blocks Limiting Movement/WJ's Improvements/Suggestions h

Post by HubbleSM »

One thing i never understood is the edgde of healpads:
You can do a high jump on the edge of the block. This is very useless and makes some maps glitchable. I don't think this is intended by nadeo? ^^

Admin: ManiaCalendar
Member: http://www.smurfen.net/

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M
UrinStein

Post by UrinStein »

Livert wrote:I actually like that the bumpers give you a certain direction. Look at those ground jumppad blocks which you can use from every direction.
I don't know if we're thinking about the same thing here. I to like that the bumper SENDS you into the same direction every time.What I don't like, is that you cannot USE that bumper from every direction.
I want that you always land on the same spot when using the bumper, but there are many situations in a game, in which you might want to use the bumper, and therefore you will come from differernt direction to take it.
When you come to it from an angle, the things on the sides are sure to stand in your way.
Livert wrote:What bugs me about the bumper is that for some reason you fly further when you use it the right way and when you come from the opposite direction you don´t jump as far.?
I never thought that was the case. When I want to jump just a tiny bit further, I make sure I land on the rear end of the bumper, and it'll bump me accordingly further.
Maybe when you approach the bumper from the opposite direction, you just just a tiny bit shorter, because you don't press W/ don't look into the direction you're jumping.
kadaz wrote:> That's where I disagree, cause the truth is, the truth is, weather you agree to disagree or not with liking it.
> I know I speak intelligent English
novationx

Post by novationx »

How will you SEE where the bumper will take you if it has no "visual indicator"? Currently its very easy to understand where the bumper will take you. Im not saying its a bad suggestion, but it never ever bothered me once in almost 3years of SM.

What I do hate is indeed that pit in front of the jumppad & the "metal balls" at the side that block you sometimes.

I wonder how much time it would take to edit the jumppad ( remove pit & metal balls at the side )? I'm just curious about what we're asking is realistic or not.
I really want these things to be 'improved'.
The neverending waiting game has to stop.
Livert

Post by Livert »

novationx wrote:How will you SEE where the bumper will take you if it has no "visual indicator"?
That´s basically what I wanted to say in my post^^ I know that it somehow limits the creativity of a mapper because he can´t use the bumper in any way he wants but I like to see it as a challenge to find a way to place it, so that it can be used smoothly. I only build Elite maps so I don´t know how difficult this is in other game modes. In Elite there shouldn´t be more than 2 or 3 bumper per map anyway so I don´t see the need to fix this (at least not regarding to the Elite mode).

Still I would agree to the rest of the changes although I can´t remember having the problems that you guys mentioned. But I can understand that they would piss people off if they happen...^^
UrinStein

Post by UrinStein »

novationx wrote:How will you SEE where the bumper will take you if it has no "visual indicator"? Currently its very easy to understand where the bumper will take you.
Good point for sure. Again I wanna argue that Nadeo has already taken care of that problem.

And btw, I do have a map, with only two "level one" bumpers (the weakest ones), and you basically never appraoch them from the direction that makes it easy to use them. It's always a chore, but it's the places where they need to be...
3v3 modes with symmetric gameplay, unlike Elite mode, have much back and forth, more spam, more strafing and running, more fighting in the middle of the map... all in all it's a bit more of a mess than Elite. Routes will get used in many different way and both teams might think about using a move with a different goal. So in my mind, bumpers should be as versitile, as easy to use in many different situations, as any other block.

Elite has more of a direction, so the mapper can often predict, that a bumper will only be used by the attacker in ceratin situation and ways.

One could maybe make an own thread for bumper discussion. Together with the tramplines and stuff, one can go very deep into this.
kadaz wrote:> That's where I disagree, cause the truth is, the truth is, weather you agree to disagree or not with liking it.
> I know I speak intelligent English
novationx

Post by novationx »

Imo they can stay how they are now with the 2/3 changes I mentioned earlier. That would already be a very good improvement.

1. Remove the "pit" on the frontside of the jumper (and as a consequence maybe make the jumpable area bigger?)
2. Remove those "metal balls' ( what a name :D ) on the side of the jumper

3. Maybe some extra variations such as: A jumppad placeable in the air or one for the water.

Who needs new blocks? Seriously :D So much possibilties with what we have now.
Livert

Re: Improve blocks & gameplay/movement - Post Suggestions

Post by Livert »

Why is the marked part of the pole formed like a triangle? Depending on the direction from which the attacker comes it´s really hard to hide behind the pole. It would be a lot easier if the pole-pillar would be formed like a circle using half the length of one side of the triangle as its radius...
Cuts

Post by Cuts »

Livert wrote:Image

Why is the marked part of the pole formed like a triangle? Depending on the direction from which the attacker comes it´s really hard to hide behind the pole. It would be a lot easier if the pole-pillar would be formed like a circle using half the length of one side of the triangle as its radius...
Think about that for a minute, the flat pole is better for hiding not worse, a circular pole would not allow players to stand as close and so would be more exposed to run by rails / pixel fragging.

The dimensions of the pole are pretty much deliberately chosen to hide players almost entirely bar a sliver of the head hit box, and using a circle would leave the defender more exposed.
Dommy
Translator
Translator

Post by Dommy »

Dimmy, look closer at the bumper arms:
http://www.domino54.pl/static/ScreenShot49.jpg

The amount of light-things on sides represent power and their angle to ground show height.
So there is an indicator :roll:
Ryzen 7 2700X, GTX 1070 Ti, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Insider Build
FORUM MODERATOR • CREATOR OF SHOOTMANIA GALAXY & TRACKMANIA² PURSUIT

Contact me via GALAXY & PURSUIT DISCORD
novationx

Post by novationx »

domino54 wrote:Dimmy, look closer at the bumper arms:
http://www.domino54.pl/static/ScreenShot49.jpg

The amount of light-things on sides represent power and their angle to ground show height.
So there is an indicator :roll:
Read.

I know this. But what if we remove it... Thats what I m saying :teub:

Return to “Shootmania”