Speedpad change since last update, weird feeling

Discuss everything related to Shootmania.

Moderator: English Moderator

AurelSM

Speedpad change since last update, weird feeling

Post by AurelSM »

Hey,

Since the last update speedpads have changed, now they work like the magnetic blocks and in my opinion, the feeling with aim is really weird.
For me, magnetic impact is different than Trackmania where we can have a better feeling.
In Trackmania, your position stay the car, a fix point without depth.
In Shootmania, you have position player and also an aim that we need control. This aim have a depth and when you take a magnetic curve when need adjust it permatly.

In obstacle mode i don't really have problem to play with this dimension, cause we don't really need aim long range.
But for other mode, it's really annoying when we want shoot players. And further players are, further the correction is important.

Now speedpad is something i don't want to use when i see it in a map for this reason, i fear it :D

Apparently this has been a choice done in the last update, i don't know if it's to resolve some bugs with magnetic existing or to have a set of block more homogeneous but i told you i have a really weird feeling with this change.

Maybe the solution could be to have 2 versions of speedpad to find a good compromise.

I would like to heard other players on this point.

Thanks.
HYPE

Re: Speedpad change since last update, weird feeling

Post by HYPE »

Yes, this is indeed an important issue. Let me clarify the issue a bit more.
First of all. We are talking about this blocks:
Before the latest update this blocks were not magnetic and this way also the camera angle didn't change. I understand that you decided to change that with the latest update. Now they are magnetic so you won't fall of anymore when having a diffrent gravity. This change was needed I belive but it brings a bad point with it and thats the change of the camera angle.

Let me explain you why this is important: While walking on this blocks its almost impossible to keep your aim locked to your target. This way you become an easy target to your oponents. This issue makes this blocks a place where you don't want to go. Like Aurel said, you almost fear those blocks :D. Its the same for the blocks which change your gravity by 90° but in this case there is no other chance I belive but the blocks I showed above has been fine before, so I belive we can find a way to get the normal camera angle back for this blocks as well.

I see two possiblities how we can achieve this:
1. (Probally not so easy to change): The camera angle stays the same as it was before eventhought they are magnetic.
2. (Like Aurel suggested): Give us two types of this blocks. A magnectic version and a not magnectic version.

I hope we can find a good solution toghter! :)
HYPE Smurf

Professional QuestMania-Player since 2022

When you get sad, stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.

ShootMania Community Discord Server
Alinoa

Post by Alinoa »

Hi,

Since the last update, all powerpaths became blue with the physical effect of the black ones (magnetic effect).
So the magnetism provokes a modification of the automatic aim. In gentle slopes, the aim was stable and now the aim goes up and down.
Ubisoft Support
Your Player Page

More information about maniaplanet, support, contents, community activities: useful links

ManiaPlanet technical documentation portal (Dedicated server, Mediatracker, ManiaLink, ManiaScript, Titles...)
HYPE

Post by HYPE »

Alinoa wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 12:34 Hi,

Since the last update, all powerpaths became blue with the physical effect of the black ones (magnetic effect).
So the magnetism provokes a modification of the automatic aim. In gentle slopes, the aim was stable and now the aim goes up and down.
Yes, we understand the reason for this change, but we hoped there would be a chance to either...

- ...change the blocks so they are still magnetic but without the camera change or...

- ...give us two versions of this block. One which is magnetic and changes the camera angle and one version like it was before (not magnetic and normal camera angle)

To show you why this is quite important I made a small video where I show how hard it is to aim while running on this blocks: https://streamable.com/pgjsy

The map is one of the most played Speedball maps. But same goes for many other maps ofc. One could say that it is not so important if you can't aim that well on one block. You could just fight on other places of the map instead. But in ShootMania you always need to fight at every point of a map and espically the point I showed in the video is a very urgent place of the map.

I hope you understand what we want this time and why it is an urgent topic for us. Hope we can find a solution toghter. :thx:
HYPE Smurf

Alexey85

Post by Alexey85 »

just would like to add another video. i don't touch the mouse, yet the aim changes significantly:
https://streamable.com/sv7jf
Zeraxex

Post by Zeraxex »

What about this for magnetics:
Camera stays the same on every magnetic block until you reach the point of 90° aiming up/down?
Like this:

Blue represents the player and the way he's standing. Green is the direction he's aiming.
1. Normal running player watching straight.
2. Player running 45° upwards but camera stays the same, so basicly he's aiming 45° down from his perspective.
3. Player running 90° upwards but camera still stays the same. At this point he's aiming 90° down from his perspective. This is the maximum of how much he can aim downwards, which leads us to 4:
4. Since the player is now starting to run upsidedown ("135°" if you know what I mean) the "Aiming barrier" moves with him. But then the camera would be behind that barrier so the camera has to move with the barrier. The result would be that the player is still aiming 90°.
5. Basicly the same thing happens here as in 4.

Don't let the game aim for the player. The players have to aim for themselves otherwise it becomes uncontrollable. They have to aim upwards when running up such a block in my opinion.
Misa
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by Misa »

Hi,

We are currently working on the aim on magnetic paths. But this implies other modifications, that's why it takes us some times.
HYPE

Post by HYPE »

Ok, good to know that you are taking care of it. Also Congratulations to your first forum post! :clap:
HYPE Smurf

keeth

Post by keeth »

Misa wrote: 12 Jun 2017, 09:50 Hi,

We are currently working on the aim on magnetic paths. But this implies other modifications, that's why it takes us some times.
Personally i belive that theres is no right answer as to how the aim should work on the magnet blocks. I think it would be best to have some sort of system that lets the player decide how he wants the aim to be controlled while on the magnet path.

But as you may know, the trajectory from when you get off the magnet paths can be manipulated during the aim corection phase to alter your trajectory.
So in order to have the user deciding on wether or not the aim should be automatically corected or not really depeds on if you can manipulate both or neither during the transitions. Because if one ends up being supirior to the other, the point is lost.

Welcome to the comunity Misa :thx:
Ò enny here! find me on: YouTube
ShootMania's nr 1 Buzy, English Youtuber
Zeraxex

Post by Zeraxex »

First of all: Great improvement in my opinion on the aiming on the ramps! Works so much better and I can even shoot where I wan't to shoot when running up a 90° Ramp! So Thanks for that, Nadeo!

The only problem that remains for me is that I'm used to the old Powerpath, those who are/were non-magnetic and now it feels weird when running them up sidewards. They should be kept as they've been before in my opinion.

Return to “Shootmania”