Linux support

Discuss everything related to Shootmania.

Moderator: English Moderator

dewid2

Linux support

Post by dewid2 »

I was asking myself about Linux support for Shootmania. I found nothing on this. Would it be very complicated to port it or do you just lack the proper person? There are companies/people out there wo can do a port easily, and it will likely be compensated by the linux sales alone. You also get a fresh start resulting in a new wave of players.

I almost exclusively use Linux, and if you're no hardcore gamer there are also enough games: Every Valve game including Dota, CS, HL, Portal, but also some from other Publishers, e.g. Schadow of Mordor, Tomb Raider 2013, Borderlands 2 and pre-sequel, Metro, Bioshock Infinite. As long as youre not picky and focused on a specific games its fine. I would love to see Shootmania there, and happily buy it again (lost email to my 2012 account).
Miss

Re: Linux support

Post by Miss »

dewid2 wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 14:26 and it will likely be compensated by the linux sales alone.
As someone who's released multiple games on Windows + Linux from day 1, no. Very unlikely. Especially if you're releasing Linux support way after your initial release day.

I'm not saying Linux support isn't worth it, it's just probably not worth it financially. :(
3080 RTX, Ryzen 3700X, 32GB RAM, Windows 11
Forum moderator, opinions are my own. :thx:
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.
dewid2

Post by dewid2 »

There is this list of games Feral Interactive, a company specialized on porting:
[link not allowed, google "feral interactive linux games"]
There are a lot of games there, not indie ones but triple A, made by companies who theirselfes only cared about windows first. Would all these ports happen if its not worth it financially? Are all the Publishers like WB Games, Valve, Square Enix in fact linux fans that put money into linux support only out of good will? They are simply smart enough to outsource the port to someone very experienced who can do it efficiently.

Besides, I've heard the servers run under Linux anyway. Its probably worth to have someone check the client code, porting may be much easier than expected for other games with lots of specialized additional software.
Miss

Post by Miss »

ManiaPlanet is not AAA. Especially ShootMania.

As for the dediservers, it's a bit of a different scenario, as it doesn't have to bother with windowing, rendering, sound, etc.

Sure, if maybe 1 developer only has to spend 1 month on porting the game, that might be financially doable, but you also have to think about maintaining the port. It can get pricey.

(For the record, I'd love to see ManiaPlanet come natively to Linux, I just don't see it realistically happening unless Nadeo is making some big secret moves we don't know about yet :P )
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.
dewid2

Post by dewid2 »

I'm with you there. They also should'nt blindly follow some opinions on the forum, but if they take the suggestion and consider it honestly, that would already be a good sign.
I use linux almost exclusively, simply because it's superior in any regard. would like to play shootmania here, its the most skilled shooter i have encountered and its a shame its limited to a commercial OS only still exists because of retailer contracts and the laziness of people to switch.
Miss

Post by Miss »

I'd argue maintaining a Linux machine is something 90% of people on this forum wouldn't know how to do. (Or wouldn't want to bother doing, like me :P), but that's besides the point.

Have you tried playing the game with Wine yet? TrackMania always worked extremely well for me on MP3, and I've been told it works perfectly with MP4 as of the latest Wine updates.
I also stream and tweet.
dewid2

Post by dewid2 »

What maintaining do you mean? you have 1 tool that maintains every software on your pc, with 1 click, no need to restart. nothing compared to windows. otherwise everything works right out of the box if you take ubuntu for example.

but i may give wine a try, if i get my old account back. do you know a way? i lost pw and email (the whole account), but i still have the paypal account if i paid with paypal (which i dont know fo sure, but likely since no credit card). also know the account name of said account.

Post by 745 »

It may be not worth the cost of developing the entire game for Linux, but Nadeo could check what isn't working on Wine and give an alternate setting that'll emulate well.
maxi031

Post by maxi031 »

You might want to try proton on steam, i did trackmania on it and its working nicely.
My specs:
MOBO: MB AM3+ 970 Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P
CPU: AM3+ AMD FX-8320E
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX750-Ti ASUS 2GB DDR5
RAM: DDR3 8GB 1866MHz Kingston HyperX
SSD: SATA3 120gb SanDisk
TY MICMO

Return to “Shootmania”