What happened to my favourite shooter when I was gone?

Discuss everything related to Shootmania.

Moderator: English Moderator

orlin614

What happened to my favourite shooter when I was gone?

Post by orlin614 »

Hi all,
I'm orlin614, some of you (especially long-time players) may recognise my nick because I used to play this game a lot some time ago (mostly rocket-based modes like royal, battle and joust). I had a long break because of lack of equipment and because of some things happening in my life. Yesterday I launched the game again. I already spent most of my planets because I needed stations to play bunch of new modes but also, for some reason I had to install those which I've had already played in the past (like Battle and Elite). But that's not the worst part. The worst part is the fact that most of the servers are gone. I couldnt find my favourite servers (e.g. Search Battle 100k and Joustice League). Today I went to play some Joust and it turned out that, for a 1v1 mode, there are only four servers, two of which are password protected. So if there were 5 people wanting to duel at the same time, they would not be able to do that because there just arent enough servers for it. Shootmania Storm is one of the best games I have ever played and it hurts me to see it in this condition. It made me very sad. I was planning to try to get some friends into the game but it seems there is no place for us to play. Anyway, I'm back and I have some questions.

Why did the servers get deleted?
How did we let that happen?

and most importantly

Is there a way to fix it and restore the servers?
undef.de

Re: What happened to my favourite shooter when I was gone?

Post by undef.de »

orlin614 wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 19:40 Why did the servers get deleted? Is there a way to fix it and restore the servers?
The servers were community driven and I guess because of the very small amount of players some of the admins decided to stop running servers.
Developer of UASECO, a controller with support of the Modescript Gamemodes for TM².
Visit the official website for more: UASECO.org

Developer of various plugins for XAseco/XAseco2 and MPAseco, visit my lab: www.undef.name

You like what I do? Then award a ManiaStar.
djhubertus
Translator
Translator

Post by djhubertus »

orlin614 wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 19:40 Why did the servers get deleted?
Because paying for empty servers is pointless.
orlin614 wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 19:40 How did we let that happen?
You, and other people stopped playing due to lack of updates and lack of competition nature that was the main selling point for shootmania, back in 2012.
orlin614 wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 19:40 and most importantly
Is there a way to fix it and restore the servers?
Unless they make a sequel with completely redesigned mechanics to invite casual players to grind, there is no chance.
My Gamemodes:
MP4 - Countdown, Firefight
MP3 - Reduction, Overload, Flashpoint, Territory, SM Race, Escape
MP2 - Search & Destroy, Oscillation, Instagib
HaagseSmurf

Post by HaagseSmurf »

You should check out what is going on with the Shootmania community at the Shootmania discord,
and that they are still active despite what some people think here on the forum ;)

The Shootmania DIscord: https://discord.gg/SFpbE5

You can ask there which servers are still alive and kicking, and which people are still active in Shootmania.

Upcoming cups for example:
- Elite ZODIAC: 14-7, 21-7 (More info on the Paragon League website https://league.paragon-esports.com/cups)
- Smurfscup Royal. Each sunday at 20.00 cest
- Battle Discord: To organize and host Battle matches you can find a lot of info on the Battle Discord https://discord.gg/72uZ2B
- Obstacle Cups You can find more info on the Obstacle Cup server

etc etc, (Most info is gathered from the Shootmania Discord)

So inform yourself on the shootmania discord and have fun!

Greetz,
HaagseSmurf

Check Smurfen.net and / or Smurfen.nu for all info.
You can also like our facebookpage at FaceBook Smurfen.net.
Or just visit
our Smurfen.net Canyon servers,
the Smurfen.net Valley and Royalserver.
HYPE

Post by HYPE »

First of all: Welcome back orlin! I still remember you and I'm always happy to see old players coming back! :thx:

Now, one of the reasons why you might not find your old favorit servers anymore, is that with the big mp4 update all servers needed to be set up again by the server hosters. And I can imagine that server hosters that weren't active in the game anymore already before the update, didn't borther to set them up again. For example the Joustice League servers.

What undef and djhubertus said is sadly not completly wrong. The amount of players has shrunken and so did the amount of servers running.

However this doesn't mean its all bad. As Haagse pointed out there's still a lot of events going on in sm. We're far from being dead! ;) As Haagse already did I would also gladly invite you on the ShootMania Community Discord server: https://discord.gg/w6cpS3R (That I'm hosting btw^^) There you will get updates about events or game updates and you will be able to chat with a lot of other players.

For your favorit gamemodes I can give you the following suggestions:

Battle: Battle has a new tp since mp4, however there's not much activity on a public server these days. BUT there is a Battle program by ziyx running on the Channel which is the most active sm program of them all and its running quite often. You will find a lot of the old battle players there again I believe. Check this for the Channel: https://www.maniaplanet.com/channels/shootmania/grid

Royal: Same as battel there is no real actvity on public servers during the week. Here as well you can join the Royal program or (and thats what Haagse also suggested already) join the Royal SmurfsCup every Sunday at 8pm CEST. I remember you played the cup back in the old days already, so I'd be happy to see you there again! :)

Joust: Now, Joust is a bit tricky. Unless you find someone ingame or on discord who wants to play with you, it could be hard. Luckily Soprah is currently working on a big Joust tournement. More infos about that are on his discord: https://discord.gg/GZN5pg3 (Yes Discord has become an important platform of the ShootMania community. I suggest you to check it out ;) )

I hope I could help you with this. See you ingame and hopefully on discord! :thumbsup:
HYPE Smurf

Professional QuestMania-Player since 2022

When you get sad, stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.

ShootMania Community Discord Server

Return to “Shootmania”