Revival of Shootmania

Discuss everything related to Shootmania.

Moderator: English Moderator

Would you be interested in a Revival of Shootmania?

Yes, but keep everything like it is!
6%
Yes, but with the changes listed in this thread!
48%
Yes, but with different changes!
12%
Yes, but take only the concept of the game and the good mechanics and put them in a new game!
24%
No, Shootmania is dead and has no potential on surviving even with a makeover!
9%

Total votes: 33

plopp

Re: Revival of Shootmania

Post by plopp »

Oh, Monk suddenly agree with the thing I said about Rocket league like 3 months ago. Nice 8-)
mine3

Post by mine3 »

I most certainly bet, if they release "Shootmania+", for free, that has couple new blocks, new gun, or something like that.
The game will stand up on its feet under 3 months. Even without advertizement, the word will spread and its all good again.

Old players come back. New players can play for free on the servers and fill the gaps and numbers.

Let everybody play on the servers for free, it work'd just great in MP3 free system and we can end the discussion of player thing :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ED0BYsWG8w
Miss

Post by Miss »

mine3 wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 11:24 I most certainly bet, if they release "Shootmania+", for free,
When you say something like "for free", you need to also say how Nadeo is supposed to make money from this.
3080 RTX, Ryzen 3700X, 32GB RAM, Windows 11
Forum moderator, opinions are my own. :thx:
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.

Post by 745 »

Miss wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 15:52
mine3 wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 11:24 I most certainly bet, if they release "Shootmania+", for free,
When you say something like "for free", you need to also say how Nadeo is supposed to make money from this.
Maybe 1 environment = 1 free mode, in a system like Tm Nations where players buy the game to get access to all other modes, share avatars, skins, etc.

Royal used to be very popular before it became a titlepack apart from the other modes and it has the "Storm", literally.
Miss

Post by Miss »

For what it's worth, that's probably a fine idea - after all, I only bought TMUF after playing a lot of TMNF and loving it. :D
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.
HYPE

Post by HYPE »

Monk9443 wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 14:45 What are those numbers, is this some sort of a conspiracy against me.

I do not endorse bullying.

Signed by: Monk1337
I corrected it. I thought I'd know your name after such a long time. Turns out I don't. Please forgive me for my cruel mistake.
Monkey wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 06:49 1.1. Esports

What are Esport Tournaments about?

Esport Tournaments are about showing people which Player/Teams are the best of the World. No matter what game you take as an example, Esport Tournaments are purely skill based events between truly skillfull players.

Yes, if you look at CoD, there are factors which make the game not totally skill based since there are so many different weapons, armors, skills and gadgets you can choose from and all of them have different stats and make it easier for you to be better in the game. This is totally true and not neglect able at all but if you take a look at the Pro player games you can see that all those gadgets don't really matter anymore since all of these Pro Players mastered the game and now it's just a fight between the top tier of the world totally depending on each players skill.

I used CoD for an example because it shows that if a game like CoD, which is usually not only skill based, can get such a huge game in the Esports industry then so can Shootmania and furthermore the entry into Esports should be much easier for Shootmania since it is a only skill based game from the beginning so the people don't have to master tons of different things before they can actual focus on being good at the game without any help of ingame advantages.

Shootmania is one of the only totally skill based fast paced first person competitive shooters available. The closest modern games get to Shootmania is Quake but even Quake has different Weapons and Gadgets which reduce the actual skill needed.

Manage to make Shootmania a thing in the Esports World and it's popularity will increase on it's own. People are going to want to increase their skill levels if they have role models/ pro players they can look up to and learn from. Seeing people do impressive things will make other people want to be able to do these things to, that's just basic psychology.
Here's a summary of the discussion on Discord about this topic:

- Most of us disagreed that eSports is just about skill, but also strategy and random factors can make good eSports. We do agree, however, that ShootMania is made for eSport and could be big.

- We were aruging about which gamemode might have the most potential for eSports and came to the conclusion that any gamemode could do the job, if it just has the audience. Team-based modes like Siege, Elite or Speedball are yet more likely to get such an audience.

- Nadeo can certain help a gamemode to become big in eSports, but in the end you need an audience first. People that would view eSports tournements, are mostly players themselfs, that want to spectate the pros and cheer for their favorit team/player. So ShootMania would need to have a bigger playerbase first, before it could become big in eSports (again).

As a happy surprise Hylis did join the discussion yesterday and revealed new information along the way:
Hylis wrote:So, the strategy is now different.

1. We will do a system update in November that will open some doors.

2. We are working on something long term to give our best shot for shoot.

3. Once we have done it, we intend to put ourselves totally dedicated to improve and update what we will have released, for a very long period of time until it is a success or a mega success if it was already a big one at release.
HYPE Smurf

Professional QuestMania-Player since 2022

When you get sad, stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.

ShootMania Community Discord Server
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

Thanks for sharing this information :thumbsup: :thx:
Miss

Post by Miss »

HYPE wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 14:17 As a happy surprise Hylis did join the discussion yesterday and revealed new information along the way:
Hylis wrote: 3. Once we have done it, we intend to put ourselves totally dedicated to improve and update what we will have released, for a very long period of time until it is a success or a mega success if it was already a big one at release.
Interesting but very risky decision, in my opinion. Hope it works out.

(Of course less risky if there's plenty of budget for it & perhaps other projects at the same time.)
I also stream and tweet.
djhubertus
Translator
Translator

Post by djhubertus »

Miss wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 15:52
Right now they are earning 0 because nobody is buying shootmania. There is nothing wrong in redesigning a structure to create f2p title, or at least enable server browser for free players, so I can actually make a throwback tournament series That I want to do.
My Gamemodes:
MP4 - Countdown, Firefight
MP3 - Reduction, Overload, Flashpoint, Territory, SM Race, Escape
MP2 - Search & Destroy, Oscillation, Instagib
HYPE

Post by HYPE »

Monkey wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 06:49 2. Difficulty for Beginners

Since most of the people reading this probably gonna be those who played and loved SM since the beginning I don't really have to tell you that the Start in SM can be quite frustrating from times to times. SM has no mercy on those who haven't mastered the movement and aiming techniques in the beginning.

2.1. Frustration through Gameplay

Starters get almost constantly killed in the beginning of the round and have to sit there and watch the remaining players having fun actually playing the game. They are lacking experience which results in spraying their bullets random around and using all of their stamina at once, they don't know how everything works yet and they don't have any source which will show them what to do and what not to do except of spectating better and more advanced players then themselves which can get quite boring and frustrating since even though you see someone do it doesn't mean that you can do it yourself the next time you try to copy it.

Nadeo used to have beginner servers were only players could join with a rank/skill cap which was set so low, that only beginners were playing against each other till they learned the basic mechanics and after discovering and training in those servers for a bit players could start joining to actual servers with a mix of players in it.

My Idea would be to bring back those beginner servers and construct them after a own elo system were the top players are allowed to proceed into the next step which would be playing on actual servers. In the picture below I tried to visualize how such a server/system could look like.
Maniaplanet doesn't let me upload any pictures. If anyone knows how to do it please let me know!
Since I can't upload any pictures I will just rely on basic typing..

The Beginner servers should be they only servers new players can join into as a player. On the beginner server all the newbies play against each other till they achieve a certain Elo score, lets say 1000 Points for example.

The players have a couple of tasks they have to do which is supposed to teach them all the things they can do.
Example:
- Capture a pole 0/1
- Kill 10 players 0/10
- Gain a score of +50 0/1
- Win a game by killing the last person alive 0/1

The players gain/lose Elo points for every hit, kill, minute survived, pole captured and game won after each round.
Those who manage to achieve the 1000 Elo Points will recieve a massage that they are now ready and able to play on the actual server from this moment on they wont be able to join the beginner servers anymore.
Here's a summary of the discussion on Discord about this topic:

- Beginner should be able to play against players of their skill level. Either on beginner servers or in Lobbies.

- The first gamemodes for beginners should be rather simple and with less frustration. Melee and Battle would work the best in our opinion.

- I personally liked the idea of having a task system that evolves with the player. You always have something to work towards and it can be adapted to every gamemode. As a reward you could get lp, planets or tips. Lp and Planets have no real value but for beginners it should do the trick to keep them motivated.

- It was once again mentioned how important tutorials are. The Maniaplanet system, the rules of each gamemode, weaons and movement needs to be explained to the players. I personally think that tutorials stop you from a fast start in the game and can already ruin the fun before the player even started. I would much more like small tool tips giving you the info you need one by one. They could appear as a reward after you completed a task.

- Some players said that a humble bundle would bring a lot of new players to the game.
HYPE Smurf

Professional QuestMania-Player since 2022

When you get sad, stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.

ShootMania Community Discord Server

Return to “Shootmania”