The Situation in ShootMania

Discuss everything related to Shootmania.

Moderator: English Moderator

Elioda

Re: The Situation in ShootMania

Post by Elioda »

Just created an account to post this. Been losting myself on the Internet and i checked this forum.

I remember shootmania, that's in my opinion one of the best PvP game ever made. Didin't play all the classics (Quake for example) but it's Starcraft or CS:GO lvl in my opinion. The game was original, really skilled, the maps were cool even if the graphics were a little bit "cold". I only played the elite 3vs3. Yeah I talk about it in the past because the game is dead now, let's face it. It was skilled but not too much, was fast but not too much. Was cool, stressing.

I'm there because sometimes (once a mounth, i don't know) I remember about this game, because it was so cool, and then i realize that it's dead and i'm sad. I played during the beta and, bought the game.

Anyway, in my opinion the majors things that killed the game : no decent match making. I can't remember perfectly but there was something about servers, you needed to connect yourself on it and then tag for a game, right ? And the other thing is that the game was let go to die... Felt like no one in the staff wanted/meant to make this game going to its full potential. I also remember something about the maps. The maps in 2012/2013 were really great, talking about these kinds of maps /watch?v=S7OruZNc7x4 but when I checked this game 1 year later (and after), idk but the maps were kinda bad. There was kind of a hype at this time. I saw some people saying that the game came out too soon, like the world wasn't ready for it. Yeah why not, could be something. You need luck to be successful, but you also need you give yourself the opportunities to succeed...

Ok my message is a mess, i'm sorry it was like 5 years ago. Just wanted to tell you there's still people who love this game...

Shootmania could only be a niche, anyway, because of the skillcap. Well i'm sure you read a lot of comments on why the game's dead, some people saying "not noob friendly enough". But the reality is that you had something in your hand (talking about nadeo), like seeds. You just didn't fed them correctly and they didn't germinated.

Obviously today the game would need a redisgn. Too much now with Apex and Fortnite (not talking about BR huh, you follow me, just the design is so bad).

I'm sad anyway. Everyone's saying that Nadeo ignored players request. Alright you cannot always complete them, ofc, but well... You know what i meant. You can't ignore all of them, everything. Especially when everyone complains about the same things.
djhubertus
Translator
Translator

Post by djhubertus »

Elioda wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 03:06 I only played the elite 3vs3...It was skilled but not too much, was fast but not too much.
It wasn't skilled enough and fast enough because You played only elite which was designed to be mediocre at its core so new players can try their best to compete (that's why goal was open 45 secs after round starts). I think many can agree that old maps were way better and more open, recent years were about headglitches, pillar ghost peaking etc.
Elioda wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 03:06There was kind of a hype at this time. I saw some people saying that the game came out too soon, like the world wasn't ready for it.
You can put the same sentence to Trackmania fans, world just isn't ready for a pc only game with archaic mechanics and tools, where the only replayability is your imagination and competitions. Shootmania died when Ubisoft stopped sponsoring tournaments, at release I remember like 300 ccu at best, people played beta and said it's not worth 20 bucks for empty game with no future, but hey, that's what You got for turning 180°
My Gamemodes:
MP4 - Countdown, Firefight
MP3 - Reduction, Overload, Flashpoint, Territory, SM Race, Escape
MP2 - Search & Destroy, Oscillation, Instagib
Dmark

Post by Dmark »

I have a simple question: When can we expect some news about the big new secret project?
No risk, no fun!

"Now, we should focus on making things." :pop:
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

In worst case, only when it gets released.
In normal case, when game magazines write and talk about it.
In good case, when some players will be invited to closed or public beta.
In ideal case, when Hylis reads this and thinks we can get some early information already now.
;)
Vrba

Post by Vrba »

TMarc wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 08:42 In worst case, only when it gets released.
Wise man once said, a Nadeo game never leaves beta phase...
TMarc wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 08:42In normal case, when game magazines write and talk about it.
That's a solid April fools joke, magazines talking about ShootMania when the SM Community barely does itself.
TMarc wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 08:42 In good case, when some players will be invited to closed or public beta.
31st of April, my I suggest?
TMarc wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 08:42
In ideal case, when Hylis reads this and thinks we can get some early information already now.
;)
Just like with QuestMania, eh?

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K 4.20GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Strix OC
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B250F Gaming
PSU: Corsair CS550M Modular 80+ Gold
RAM: 16GB HyperX FURY DDR4-2666
SSD: 500GB Samsung 850 Evo 2.5"
Miss

Post by Miss »

Try to avoid the snarky comments, please, I don't want to have to close the thread. :thumbsup:
3080 RTX, Ryzen 3700X, 32GB RAM, Windows 11
Forum moderator, opinions are my own. :thx:
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.
Soprah

Post by Soprah »

Hey,

Please dont close this thread just because one guy isn't behaving well. If one guy doesn't behave well, please consider to just delete his posts instead of ruining the discussion for everyone by closing it :)
Miss

Post by Miss »

I'm not a fan of deleting posts, but indeed, I won't be closing it just because of 1 post. I'd only close it if it was continued. :thumbsup:
3080 RTX, Ryzen 3700X, 32GB RAM, Windows 11
Forum moderator, opinions are my own. :thx:
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.
Vrba

Post by Vrba »

Well, this thread will obviously be ignored by Nadeo anyway, seeing how it's going.

We've not been shown any positive things about ShootMania in a while, which is kinda depressing seeing there's maybe 50 people still playing if we exclude smurf accounts. They've got a core which loves the game, but even this type of player loses hope if there's no news or any devs even bothering to post a simple answer in a thread.

Trackmania is somewhat thriving due to relatively popular streams and a solid playerbase to begin with, but ShootMania... I don't know. Somehow the situation feels justified if you take into account how it's treated from NADEOs side.

And fyi, maybe it's not the most proper display of behavior, but I prefer to not lie to myself that everything is and will be fine, because boy it's going downhill for a long time already. Truth hurts.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K 4.20GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Strix OC
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B250F Gaming
PSU: Corsair CS550M Modular 80+ Gold
RAM: 16GB HyperX FURY DDR4-2666
SSD: 500GB Samsung 850 Evo 2.5"
Hylis
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by Hylis »

I read it all. It's just that there is nothing to say at the moment.

Last week an small update has been made to enable some dev. The games is 6 years old and like you said, there is not a lot of players on it. Hard to invest all our time in it. So, we move forward with what we can, try to fix stuff, not break too much others. I don't think many games have still dev after so many years with such player base. And for some players to be here, I see this as something encouraging that we have something into the way we do things, with off course many big things to address at the same time.

We can not announce things at the moment and I don't expect to do it soon : many months, a year, more, I really don't know. Discussions on a weekly basis is difficult to have in this case. Maybe something more meaningful would be done on SM Storm by then but I can not say if yes or no even if I know it would be better to have a clear yes or no.

Return to “Shootmania”