Level cap

Discuss everything related to Questmania.

Moderator: English Moderator

mikepurdy1234

Re: Level cap

Post by mikepurdy1234 »

or do away with the whole idea of levels and spells... and make it a hack-n-slash like zelda... maybe easy to go from SM to QM by simply doing knife fights.

do a SM game with knife fights only, then the knife becomes the sword.
Trackmaniack

Post by Trackmaniack »

Nah...magic has got to be a part of it. I -love- magic type stuff...but it would be a good idea to make it somehow faster paced than; (click attack, slash. Enemy clicks, slash)
WIP
mikepurdy1234

Post by mikepurdy1234 »

fast paced like the latest few final fantasy games (popular games, but the style might be too much copy)

real-time turn based attacks, where you could speed up or slow down the pace
Chris92
Translator
Translator

Post by Chris92 »

I'd really like to see a Lvling like in League Of Legends...
Your personal Overall Level would give you more "spells" like heal your char, transport it to somewhere or sth like this...
Then every Map you have to level your in-game char, so every player starts at Lvl 1, same chances for everyone :D
Here you need the skill to know, how you really lvl up fast and which items you have to buy to be better than other players :D
So there should be a Overall-Level-Cap (like the maximum LP in TMNF/TMUF)
but a ingame-lvl-cap should be decidable in the editor, when you build the map
Check out my Personal Twitter account!
Solon001

Post by Solon001 »

I Reckon it should play a bit like this. The levels are infinite There should be a levelling system. but only for stats such as ATK DEF Magical ATK DEF, Ranged ATK DEF (for projectile weapons) HP MP Elemental weakness/streangths etc. The experience needed to reach a level will always be 100. Then when it comes to playing on maps on levels. every enemy should have a base EXP.

EG Living Tree | Level 5 | Element Wood | Base EXP 30

When it comes to working out EXP you consider the level of the enemy compared to the level of the player.

For every level you are over the level of the monster you subtract 5 exp from the base value.
For every level you are under the level of the monster you add 5 exp to the base value

Example

A party of 2. Bob, A Level 4 and Mike, a level 8 Defeat a level 5 Living Tree

Bob Gains 35 EXP
Mike Gains 15 EXP

So you see the lower level player will get more experience than the Higher level player. Allowing him to reach his level goal of 1000 quicker than the higher levelled player.

This stops higher level players picking lots of easier levels and getting base experience for everything. It'll get to the point where going to such easier areas will cause higher level characters to gain no exp at all.

Example

A level 11 player beats a level 5 Living Tree. He gains no exp as 11-5=6 (difference in levels) 6X5=30 (working out for exp to be taken off) 30-30 = 0 (base exp - exp to be lost)

however. If a group of lower level players attacks a monster that's designed for players 20 levels higher than they are. then can easily obtain 100 exp plus the monster's base exp. however if a player has only 20 points left and attacks a monster with base exp of 30 for players with 20 levels higher than it and beats it. normally that would be 30 + 100 = 130. that'd make his points go over 200. however you may only level up once per battle. this will stop players boosting.

As for skills, magical or otherwise. those depend on the weapon. However depending on the class of character you pick. you may only equip weapons based upon your warriors class. for instance, Barbarians can't use a mage's staff. twin blade can't use halberds and mages wont be very proficiant with giant claymores. But weapons contain their own spells. or can have synthesis used on them to add spells.

For the average blade/axe user. Magic will be less powerful and cost more. Mages get higher magical attack and defense and have lower mp costs for spells/summons. however the opposite applies for physical skills.

Also if a character is good with the wood element. Wood spells and skills cost less and are more effective. however the opposing element, (probably earth) will have the opposite effect. Earth skills and spells will cost more than usual and will be less effective.

Thus making it possible for all players to interact with in the same map. making skill obtaining fair. as weapons and items can be found in all relative maps (except possible "event" items) or bought in the store or synthesized. But also making every character more unique. for instance 2 level 20 characters which are the same class and weapon and armour Would still be different because of the element that they chose when creating their character affects the stats for that player. for instance an Earth attribute orientated player would have increased HP and higher defense. but lower attack and speed etc. A fire attribute orientated player would have increased Speed and Physical stats, regular magical stats and lower ranged stats where the opposite would be the case of the wood attribute
See car Race, See car overtake, See car drive over boost, see car rocket towards ramp, see car fly through the air, see conveniently placed building, see car hit building, sorry car.
Trackmaniack

Post by Trackmaniack »

I like every part of your post except the "100 exp per level" bit. Unless I've read it wrong (which is entirely possible) You're saying that it should take a player 100EXP points to go from, say, level 5 to level 6. Or level 10 to level 11. Or level 99 to level 100. While you have something of a fix in place for high level players to not ease their way up the levels by just beating on level 2 monsters, I think the reverse option should be true: Have each level have more exp points to get up in level, and have the exp points for killing a beast be fixed.
WIP
Solon001

Post by Solon001 »

I like every part of your post except the "100 exp per level" bit. Unless I've read it wrong (which is entirely possible) You're saying that it should take a player 100EXP points to go from, say, level 5 to level 6. Or level 10 to level 11. Or level 99 to level 100. While you have something of a fix in place for high level players to not ease their way up the levels by just beating on level 2 monsters, I think the reverse option should be true: Have each level have more exp points to get up in level, and have the exp points for killing a beast be fixed.
You did indeed read my post right. And I suppose you could do it that way too. Pretty good IMO. But isn't that what most RPG's have done since the dawn of the industry? It could very well work that way. Y'know, "If it aint broke don't fix it." It's just I was trying to implement something different. A unique system that people could help advertise and bring in new people to the scene. But yeah it could work either way.
See car Race, See car overtake, See car drive over boost, see car rocket towards ramp, see car fly through the air, see conveniently placed building, see car hit building, sorry car.
Trackmaniack

Post by Trackmaniack »

Solon001 wrote:
You did indeed read my post right. And I suppose you could do it that way too. Pretty good IMO. But isn't that what most RPG's have done since the dawn of the industry? It could very well work that way. Y'know, "If it aint broke don't fix it." It's just I was trying to implement something different. A unique system that people could help advertise and bring in new people to the scene. But yeah it could work either way.
This is true. And the mania-series always has been about breaking the rules, and so maybe a change of the guard is indeed in order... :)
WIP
Mifune013

Post by Mifune013 »

Has anyone ever played Neverwinter Nights? Sure you could just farm for XP on your own map, or even set your level to the cap, but that only works if the game you enter lets you import that character. There might be a limit to your starting level to the game you enter, or maybe even force you to make a game specifically for that map.

Return to “Questmania”