New game, Trackmania-like with speed boats?

Discuss everything and more.

Moderator: English Moderator

Insomnia

New game, Trackmania-like with speed boats?

Post by Insomnia »

Hey guys,
really interested in your opinion: Would you like a Trackmania-like game, with speed boats instead of cars?

Common concerns I get in response to that question are about physics. Well yes, a boat is a boat, but with all available influence on the coding of the physics, it could be possible to make it behave a little more like a car, e.g. implement drifting, etc. Consider the physics to be fun, not realistic. :-)

Also, slopes and jumps can be possible via ramps and flow/streaming. We just can't have loopings, of course ;-)
The game should have a track editor, and you can configure flow/streaming per block (like boosters and anti-boosters, but also sidewards).

Possible environments could be: Amsterdam, Venice, an Arizona/Canyon River environment, an Arctic environment, a swampland environment, a beach/ocean environment.

Would you like to play such a game? Would you guys buy, back (Kickstarter) or greenlight (Steam) such a game?
What features would it need to have to compensate on the little physics drawbacks? E.g. Weapons? Collisions? Moving obstacles? What would you like?

Really looking forward to some opinions :-)
Last edited by Insomnia on 10 Jun 2017, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
tcq

Re: Trackmania with speed boats?

Post by tcq »

Actually, something like micro machines with boats sounds like a lot of fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA6KaRm_EPY
If you fancy more a 3D style: Ever heard about Wave Race 64 for the Nintendo 64?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi-Kz4Y-8Lw
About buying, probably not due to time constraints on my site, but if it is well executed it might be a chance for a niche community. It should be as much as arcade as possible in my opinion.
A cool thing would also be if you could drive an amphibious vehicle that could be used for street and water driving. Imagine a racetrack in a town setting where you could switch from sliding through the canals into small driving between the buildings?
And about the looping, what about something like this?
You could create an entry into tubing system with something like this
adamkooo2

Post by adamkooo2 »

You can create a tp in lagoon ;)
/\rkady
Mandark

Post by Mandark »

Used to play Riptide GP on my phone a few years ago, it would be pretty neat to see something like that on PC with better graphics^^
Specs
Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Formula
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti
RAM: 16GB
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
Insomnia

Post by Insomnia »

Yeah I know Riptide GP as well, even though I played it on the Xbox. :-)
I liked the way it introduced the third dimension (which is always difficult with water) with the slopes.
But this did not have a track editor, right?
Also, it's a little bit too Carrera, I'd like to have more variety and a good selection of blocks. But I'd certainly do the slopes similar.
Nerpson
Translator
Translator

Post by Nerpson »

Just play the Trump Card 2
https://youtu.be/XKaQcWsT0jE
ImageImageImageImage
Insomnia

Post by Insomnia »

Guys,
this is about the development of a professional new game. I am evaluating a game concept and trying to get some input and ideas.
We don't want to create Trackmania mods or packs or content, or anything Trackmania/Maniaplanet related, but a complete game.

Question is if you're interested in such a game, if it came out soon and is well done, and what are your concerns or ideas to make this really cool.
Demented

Post by Demented »

Your topic header suggests (literally) a new environment for trackmania. If this is about a new game separate from TM you may want to change the title to something like "New boat racing game; Ideas" or something.

If you like a boat that can drift in turns but is also amphibious why not a hovercraft? I would love a well done hovercraft game.
It has even been suggested as an entire environment designed for Hovercraft in the topic What new Environment would you like to see?. This lets you race on water and land and could make for some fun tracks. Of course people who don't like drifting would not likely enjoy this but people who do would love it.
CPU: Intel I7-4770 64Bit @ 3.4Ghz.
Ram: 32GB DDR3
GPU: Geforce GXT 1060 6.2GB DDR5
Windows: 7 Pro SP1 64bit
Mandark

Post by Mandark »

I'd play it personally. Go for it :3
Specs
Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Formula
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti
RAM: 16GB
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

Actually there is already a boat game, Virtual Skipper :lol:

The Trackmania principle with fast editable maps can be brought to a big variety of games actually.
Perhaps one day the tools will allow the community to do it under the hood of Maniaplanet.

At the moment I doubt that Nadeo will be able to create a completely new game,
since they are full busy with Maniaplanet, Trackmania², Shootmania.
And do not forget Questmania which is on hold for uncertain time...

Return to “Off-Topics”