Page 1 of 1

Some general remarks

Posted: 16 Jun 2011, 18:37
by Electron
I am no PHP developer. Out of curiosity, I've had a look at the SDK.

1. The three examples have worked immediately. Only the response times were rather long (about two seconds).

1.1. Yesterday the Player example has worked, although the option "Request access to TMF game data" was not activated. All access rights were still listed under "View available ressources".
Today only the access on "foobar", "manialive" and "maniahome" is listed there. The activation of "Request access to TMF game data" changes nothing (the group "Tmf pub" is indicated). And the Player example returns always "Forbidden"...

2. I have had a look at the documentation. All input parametres were documented. But only the response structure of the class "TrackMania_Manialinks" was described. Also the PHP library itself supplies no information to the structure of the returned objects. To see what you can do with the SDK, it would be nice if you could get a complete overview of all returned values.

3. For some features (Manialinks, ManiaHome), I have no idea what you practical can do with it. Perhaps someone can give me a few suggestions.

4. During writing, I've forgotten remark number four... :?

Re: Some general remarks

Posted: 17 Jun 2011, 10:11
by gouxim
Electron wrote:Yesterday the Player example has worked, although the option "Request access to TMF game data" was not activated. All access rights were still listed under "View available ressources".
Today only the access on "foobar", "manialive" and "maniahome" is listed there. The activation of "Request access to TMF game data" changes nothing (the group "Tmf pub" is indicated). And the Player example returns always "Forbidden"...
There's a cache on users' rights ; i guess I forgot to invalidate the cache when you change that. I may fix it if I have some time, but it's no big deal since the cache lifetime is aound 1h I think.
Electron wrote:2. I have had a look at the documentation. All input parametres were documented. But only the response structure of the class "TrackMania_Manialinks" was described. Also the PHP library itself supplies no information to the structure of the returned objects. To see what you can do with the SDK, it would be nice if you could get a complete overview of all returned values.
Yes indeed. If someone wants to create a topic to document the response types, I'll be happy to copy his work in the code comments :lol:
Electron wrote:3. For some features (Manialinks, ManiaHome), I have no idea what you practical can do with it. Perhaps someone can give me a few suggestions.
Okay, let's take an example: ManiaPub
- When you create and ad, you give a Manialink ; I use the Manialink service to check that it actually exists
- When stuff happen regarding your ads & campaigns, I use the ManiaHome services to send public and/or private notifications to player

Another hypotetical example: I would love to see services like Dedimania post notifications when a player beats a record !
Electron wrote:4. During writing, I've forgotten remark number four... :?
Shit happens :lol:

Re: Some general remarks

Posted: 17 Jun 2011, 13:14
by Jojo_44
gouxim wrote:Another hypotetical example: I would love to see services like Dedimania post notifications when a player beats a record !
I am a little bit confused concerning this. To send a notification from a server you need a manialink ? So I just created a "dummy" manialink to send my server notifications about this. In my view it would be better to use the serverlogin instead of a manialink.

btw what I have always wondered, what´s the differnce between the "normal ingame messages" and "privatenotifications" ?

Edit:
My manialink Bookmark image url has changed, so nobody sees the image furthermore. If I change the url and click on the bookmark button, is the url updated for all or just for me ?

best regards, Jojo

Re: Some general remarks

Posted: 17 Jun 2011, 14:31
by gouxim
Jojo_44 wrote:I am a little bit confused concerning this. To send a notification from a server you need a manialink ? So I just created a "dummy" manialink to send my server notifications about this. In my view it would be better to use the serverlogin instead of a manialink.
IMHO Dedimania itself should send notifications, not the dedicated servers.
Jojo_44 wrote:btw what I have always wondered, what´s the differnce between the "normal ingame messages" and "privatenotifications" ?
It's short, it has no subject, it's free, and most importantly it has an API so that you can automatically send PMs.
Jojo_44 wrote:My manialink Bookmark image url has changed, so nobody sees the image furthermore. If I change the url and click on the bookmark button, is the url updated for all or just for me ?
I think so, although I'm not 100% sure. If it does not work you can also remove it from your bookmarks and bookmark it again (or just wait untill someone bookmarks it).

Re: Some general remarks

Posted: 17 Jun 2011, 15:54
by Jojo_44
gouxim wrote:
Jojo_44 wrote:I am a little bit confused concerning this. To send a notification from a server you need a manialink ? So I just created a "dummy" manialink to send my server notifications about this. In my view it would be better to use the serverlogin instead of a manialink.
IMHO Dedimania itself should send notifications, not the dedicated servers.
Yes, sorry my quote was out of the context. If I use the ManiaHome Client from Manialive, I have to enter a manialink. And then if I send a notification to a player, the player sees that this notification comes from the manialink. That´s what I mean.

Thanks for your response,

Jojo

Re: Some general remarks

Posted: 17 Jun 2011, 16:57
by gouxim
Jojo_44 wrote: Yes, sorry my quote was out of the context. If I use the ManiaHome Client from Manialive, I have to enter a manialink. And then if I send a notification to a player, the player sees that this notification comes from the manialink. That´s what I mean.

Thanks for your response,

Jojo
I see. We actually had this very debate with farfa a while ago : "what if a server wants to post a notification?" On the one hand you can create a Manialink for that server, and use ManiaHome as is ; the problem is that it will be a "fake" Manialink unless you actually host a small page that links to your server (a lot of teams do that for theirs, btw). On the other hand we could introduce the possibility to post from a server login, but it would increase the complexity of the database, the requests, etc.

In the end we chose -for now- to leave it as is ; if you want to post notifications from ManiaLive, you need to create a manialink for that ; it's much simplier for us, and the "fake manialink" problem is not so much of an issue if you consider how many manialinks there are that can't be accessed because of various errors, and considering that there's no official list of all manialinks (so you won't have those fake manialinks in some list...)

Re: Some general remarks

Posted: 20 Jun 2011, 14:38
by Jojo_44
Yep I just wanted to know that. Thanks a lot for you answers.

regards Jojo