What version of PHP do you use?

Trackmania Forever public API and its open source PHP SDK.

Moderator: NADEO

What version of PHP do you use?

PHP 5.3 or newer
78%
PHP 5.2 or older
22%

Total votes: 18

gouxim
Nadeo
Nadeo

Re: What version of PHP do you use?

Post by gouxim »

Jojo_44 wrote: To add one line in the sdk we need a voting ?
It's more complicated than that. I was thinking about whether we should use 5.3 for the SDK.
As big boo pointed out, it's mostly for the use of namespaces.
So a poll like this is more a survey than a vote: I want to see what version is mostly used by people.

In the end it's not just "one line". If we add namespaces to the SDK, it won't work at all on 5.2 installations so I want to make sure people use 5.3. :geek:

Max
Please do not PM for support. Instead, create a thread so that everyone can contribute or benefit from the answer! 8-)
tcq

Post by tcq »

Isn't it as simple as:
The developer says you need this version and the user upgrade then?
If the user does not upgrade, it's his fault and to the one of the developer. Just as simple as it is.

Btw. i find it really nice to ask the users ;)
gouxim
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by gouxim »

tcq wrote:Isn't it as simple as:
The developer says you need this version and the user upgrade then?
If the user does not upgrade, it's his fault and to the one of the developer. Just as simple as it is.

Btw. i find it really nice to ask the users ;)
In the end it is indeed NADEO that takes the decision, not a vote. But bare in mind that the SDK is entirely dedicated to the community, so my goal with with project is to make you happy :)

Whether it is for SDKs, or even for the game itself, we have a strong believe in user feedback at NADEO, that is why we ask the community for opinions etc. Sometimes we have to take decisions against what the community wants for various reasons (think about the FreeZone for example), but most of the time community feedback is valuable !
Please do not PM for support. Instead, create a thread so that everyone can contribute or benefit from the answer! 8-)
Jojo_44

Post by Jojo_44 »

gouxim wrote:In the end it's not just "one line". If we add namespaces to the SDK, it won't work at all on 5.2 installations so I want to make sure people use 5.3. :geek:
I think everybody who wants namespaces can easily add at the top of the sdk file "namespace xyz", but ok, my view is mostly different from others ;) If you use multiple files for the sdk then I can understand the decision but for one file I think it´s not necessary.

Nice weekend to all,

Jojo
my english sounds very unfriendly but it isn´t ;)
TheM

Post by TheM »

I do agree with Jojo.
And: there are a lot of website hosters who still stick to 5.2 (example: my webhost is going to change to PHP 5.3 end of this year).
This would mean I couldn't the SDK anymore on my webhost (till December or so)...
Global moderator | Dutch moderator | Laddermoderator | ManiaWiki moderator
Server Manager/webmaster of Smurfen.net, join us on Canyon, Valley and Royal!
ESL (Game) Staff Head for TrackMania (Stadium, Canyon and Valley).
gouxim
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by gouxim »

TheM wrote:there are a lot of website hosters who still stick to 5.2.
That's the main issue, and it's too bad. PHP 5.4a1 just came out and some hosters are still running 5.2 :shock:
fastforza

Post by fastforza »

gouxim wrote:
That's the main issue, and it's too bad. PHP 5.4a1 just came out and some hosters are still running 5.2 :shock:
They're either lazy or have a very good reason for doing so. I do recall PHP 5.3 having major security issues and some hosts refused to update. Lack of computability? Problems with legacy code?
Mania Exchange - Share your maps!

ASUS Maximus IV GENE Z / i7 2600K 3.40Ghz QC / 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 / GTX 560 Ti

Need technical help for ManiaPlanet? Click here. :)
w1lla

Post by w1lla »

On my website: tmrankings.com i use PHP Version 5.2.17.

Alot of companies like webhosters only do this kind of 5.2.x version.

VPS, however let the user choose which version you might use.
TM² Info
SM Info
QM Info

MB: MSI 970A-G46
Processor: AMD FX-6300 3500 mHz
RAM Memory: 16 GB DDR3
Video: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280X 3GB GDDR5
KB: Logitech G510s
Mouse: Logitech G300s
Mode Creation
ManiaScript Docs
mistertl
Translator
Translator

Post by mistertl »

gouxim wrote:
Well, I work for a hoster, and we are currently running both PHP 5.2 and PHP 5.3 on our shared hosting clusters (you have of course your own choice when using a VPS, dedicated or colocated server, you can even use PHP 4.x :mrgreen:). The problem is not the hoster IMO, but the customers. We also want to migrate all customers to PHP 5.3, but that's not possible. Too many scripts, sites are incompatible with that version, so that's why we are also still running PHP 5.2.
New customers will get PHP 5.3, and the current customers stay at PHP 5.2 (but migration to PHP 5.3 on request is of course possible).
OS: Windows 10 x64 Pro | CPU: Intel Core i7 7700k @ 4,2 GHz | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 |
MB: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon | HDD(s): Crucial MX100 512 GB, WD Caviar Black 7200 rpm 500 GB | Sound: Realtek ALC1220
gouxim
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by gouxim »

mistertl wrote:The problem is not the hoster IMO, but the customers
Good point here. I think it's a bit of both: some hosters do take a long time to update their infrastructure to support 5.3 (which can be understandable in some way).

I think hosters and open source projects have a role in the migration to newer versions ; that is why we released ManiaLive as a 5.3 project, that is why ManiaLib2 is a 5.3 project ; I guess you see where I'm coming: the next release of the SDK will probably be 5.3 too !

Releasing the SDK as a single 5.2 file was kind of a bad idea; I thought that it was going to be simplier, and it was true at first ; but now we want to improve it, we want to use it in our projects, we want to use it in ManiaLive and in ManiaLib, etc. So it makes much more sense to adopt the same standards than our other open source projects.

Here are some points worth mentioning:
  • The 1.0 SDK which is 5.2 will obviously still work
  • If someone wants to update the 5.2 SDK when we release new features, I will be happy to commit the changes on the SVN and to make a new downloadable package
  • Migrating the code from the "old" to the "new" SDK will be very easy; I'll post a quick guide to do that, it'll just be a matter of renaming a couple of calls.
  • Once people use the 5.3 SDK, it will be very easy to use features from our other project ; for example ManiaLib as a cache feature that use MySQL as a cache backend ; people will be able to use that by simply including the ManiaLib namespace next to the TM WS SDK

Return to “Trackmania Forever Web Services”