API rates for iOS app

Trackmania Forever public API and its open source PHP SDK.

Moderator: NADEO

zakspeed

API rates for iOS app

Post by zakspeed »

Hello,
I am creating an iOS app that I would like to deploy. I realize now that the 360/hour will not work if I get just a few people using the app. :) How should I handle this? Also, it would be nice to get multiple data returned. The API as it exists now will require many requests just to get some simple information to the user.

Thanks

Mike Bergamo (zakspeed)
steeffeen
Translator
Translator

Re: API rates for iOS app

Post by steeffeen »

hey zakspeed,

i'm curious to see the app :)

even though i'm not used to the tmf web services i would guess that you can't retrieve more than the usual scope with one request
are you using you own backend? performing the request client-side would lead to too much use of the network rate and battery life i guess

i hope that they can increase your rate limit so that your app works properly
(we just had to stop our own project which was using maniaplanet web services because we wanted too much and overworked them :? )

in case it's working fine you may will be able to support maniaplanet stuff as well, don't hesitate to ask me if you would like to get some help for that :)

regards,
steff
    Game Mode and Title Pack Creator, Developer, ShootMania-Player & more

ManiaControl, FancyManiaLinks
    zakspeed

Post by zakspeed »

One option I am thinking about is to require the user of the app to register for the API, therefore they would need to manage the rates, which should be under control. This is not ideal since the app would be useless unless they register. I am thinking of other options, but wanted to see what Nadeo had to say first.

zakspeed
    jonthekiller
    Translator
    Translator

Post by jonthekiller »

The best will be first to use a cache system before ask to up the limit. All information will be the same for 1 day.
    zakspeed

Post by zakspeed »

A cache system might not even work. The API seems to restrict the length to 10 when getting things like zone ranks. I don't think there is enough API rate to cache the data to my servers. I knew this was going to be an issue, but was hoping it would not be so difficult. :?
    jonthekiller
    Translator
    Translator

Post by jonthekiller »

What do you want to make like app? I don't see why the cache can't work. If you want to have the basic scope, the cache can work well.
    zakspeed

Post by zakspeed »

Assuming my app will work across the world, like Trackmania does, I would need to cache all the players in all the zones. I could do this daily and cache the data, but I don't see that I have enough API calls to do this. Any thoughts?

Thanks

zakspeed
    Jojo_44

Post by Jojo_44 »

zakspeed wrote:Assuming my app will work across the world, like Trackmania does, I would need to cache all the players in all the zones. I could do this daily and cache the data, but I don't see that I have enough API calls to do this. Any thoughts?

Thanks

zakspeed
    Let every user creates his own access to the maniaplanet api ? (it´s easy isn´t it )

regards, Jojo
    my english sounds very unfriendly but it isn´t ;)
    jonthekiller
    Translator
    Translator

Post by jonthekiller »

You need to put in cache only players who use the application. Maybe make the application with this limit and a cache and after see if the limit need to be change.
    zakspeed

Post by zakspeed »

Having the user create the username/password is possible. I would need to create an interface to access the pages, ugly, but could work.

I want the app to show any player in any zone. If a user chooses to browse through the zone rankings, I could quickly use up the API calls since I can only get 10 ranks per request.

I would also want to cache everything (assuming I provide a server), since I don't know ahead of time which players the user wants to see.

I see other web sites supply ranks, I wonder how they do it and whether they are affiliated with Nadeo.

zakspeed

Return to “Trackmania Forever Web Services”