ManiaPlanet server documentation

Moderator: NADEO

oliverde8

Re: ManiaPlanet server documentation

Post by oliverde8 »

Basically I think Xymph's tuto is the best : http://www.gamers.org/tm2/quickstart.html but maybe not good for a noob in linux.

But to get the title name right you need to look here : https://github.com/maniaplanet/document ... r/basic.md

The documentation in the official wiki is very nice but it should have 2 parts, Creating a server easy & Understand your server configuration. Big explanations will always scare people.
This is what I believe must be done in the wiki
Developper for The next generation, Clean and Powerfull controller eXpansion for your SM & TM server . Working on eXpansion² with full MP4 support and many other awesome features...
nocturne

Post by nocturne »

hsz wrote:So basically, if I want to install an elite server on a vps running debian, where is the most complete and up to date guide? Despite all the efforts from Nadeo, the lack of up to date informations is really a problem I hope to see fixed soon :)
Anyway, keep up the good work!
If you're on *nix, should already know most of the basics.. Create a user account and log in (never run anything as root!), wget the most recent server version and extract where wanted (or being on debian, check out the apt repo thread if you want something a bit more 'manageable'), give execution rights to the user for the 'ManiaPlanetServer' executable, and then.. it's a matter of configuration.

The guide linked at the top of this thread will give you the basics of what titleid to use (admittedly, this info has been sadly lacking until now), but I would refer to the wiki for most of the configuration (ded cfg file along with matchsettings). There used to be a readme included in the server package.. but, well.. it was never updated, and seems to be entirely missing from recent server versions.

As far as the OP goes.. just think it's highly unprofessional to include server documentation on a separate site such as github -- especially when you have a wiki on your own site, which is already entirely capable of accepting edits from the community with several levels of moderation to ensure the info is kept clean and concise.

And as far as my negativity goes.. can hardly blame me. So many resources are continually wasted on pet-projects like this and silly things like 'trust circles' -- while we really just wish for a solid game and a reliable dedicated server. Most recently, a charter for server admins..? You can't be serious..
magnetik
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by magnetik »

- It's on github for collaboration purpose (what is lacking on the wiki today), when the content is mature enough, it will be put on a maniaplanet website
- The article of the wiki is more complete on useless parts (for instance all details about MatchSettings file)
ManiaPlanet technical documentation portal (Dedicated, ManiaLink, ManiaScript, Titles...) -- contribute!
hsz

Post by hsz »

Matchsetting files a useless part? :o
I finally got to install my server btw, had to find the informations on a couple of webpages but it works now. I still need to fine tune it but as there is close to zero documentation, I'll have to wait..

I find it sad that a game with so much potential has so many difficult aspects to it (install a custom horn, skin, server, find out the official server configuration and maps used in tournament etc..).

I'm really looking forward to some updates though :)
nocturne

Post by nocturne »

magnetik wrote:- It's on github for collaboration purpose (what is lacking on the wiki today), when the content is mature enough, it will be put on a maniaplanet website
- The article of the wiki is more complete on useless parts (for instance all details about MatchSettings file)
Useless..? :roflol:

I'm guessing you have absolutely no idea how daunting a task it is for an absolute newbie to get a server running.. Really, it's stupidly simple -- but only to those of us that have been doing it for years. To all others.. well, not too simple without at least the most basic documentation.

Back in the good ol' days, we at least had a relatively concise readme file included with the server package, covering all the basics from config options to matchsettings settings (everything needed to get a server running). Now.. no readme. Would-be server operators are left to fend for themselves, trying to wage the relative completeness of the outdated wiki documentation vs the absolute vagueness of the documentation you posted -- hopefully ending up with the magical combination where it simply works.

In the meantime, us members of the community are burdened with the task of educating those with the most basic questions -- purely due to the lack of any complete and reliable info.
magnetik
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by magnetik »

Does an user need to understand all parts of the matchsettings to make his server running ? Nope. He can tweak all the little settings by trying to modify a value, get back to the default and try another one etc.

Back in the good ol' days setting up was far more simple because there wasn't lot of titles, modes etc.

The basic guide may be bundled with the dedicated if we judge that it's good enough (and it is not now).

If you do not feel like helping other, just don't. By the way your contribution to the current documentation is welcome on github.

Should I remove the article from the wiki so you stop saying that it's outdated?
ManiaPlanet technical documentation portal (Dedicated, ManiaLink, ManiaScript, Titles...) -- contribute!
TheM

Post by TheM »

magnetik wrote:Should I remove the article from the wiki so you stop saying that it's outdated?
It would be nice if you would use the wiki as well, because it's "the official place" (or at least mentioned on the website and in-game) for the documentation of the dedicated servers. So maybe instead of making a new place somewhere on a Github site, you/we could update that article... ;)
Global moderator | Dutch moderator | Laddermoderator | ManiaWiki moderator
Server Manager/webmaster of Smurfen.net, join us on Canyon, Valley and Royal!
ESL (Game) Staff Head for TrackMania (Stadium, Canyon and Valley).
nocturne

Post by nocturne »

It really comes down to this:

wi·ki -- /ˈwikē/ - Noun
A Web site developed collaboratively by a community of users, allowing any user to add and edit content.
(stolen from Merriam-Webster.. as if they know anything)

The possibility of opening up the wiki has already been discussed, far before *the*nameless*intern* showed up. The powers-that-be already have absolute power over what is published -- all you have to do is allow community members the ability to offer edits to be approved by the given moderators.

Adding a third-party site into the mix... with unreliable info on both ends.. you can't seriously think this is any sort of a reasonable solution.
TheM

Post by TheM »

nocturne wrote:It really comes down to this:

wi·ki -- /ˈwikē/ - Noun
A Web site developed collaboratively by a community of users, allowing any user to add and edit content.
(stolen from Merriam-Webster.. as if they know anything)

The possibility of opening up the wiki has already been discussed, far before *the*nameless*intern* showed up. The powers-that-be already have absolute power over what is published -- all you have to do is allow community members the ability to offer edits to be approved by the given moderators.

Adding a third-party site into the mix... with unreliable info on both ends.. you can't seriously think this is any sort of a reasonable solution.
I'm with you that the wiki should be used to combine all available documentation, or at least NADEO(Live)'s documentation. But you are going too far here, please remain friendly to one another, because this doesn't help...
Global moderator | Dutch moderator | Laddermoderator | ManiaWiki moderator
Server Manager/webmaster of Smurfen.net, join us on Canyon, Valley and Royal!
ESL (Game) Staff Head for TrackMania (Stadium, Canyon and Valley).
nocturne

Post by nocturne »

I'm sorry.. I know I tend to be a bit combatant.. Said all I needed to say in my first post, only to be repeatedly called out. When somebody is just begging me for an argument.. can't help myself! :lol:

I guess overall, I'm just frustrated over the continuance of all these half-baked projects, while we have yet to see a solid dedicated server or client since the release of ManiaPlanet with TMCanyon. Can't recall having any of these problems with TMS/TMN/TMF..

Edit: Suppose all this discussion is rather irrelevant.. Probably should just add a link to the wiki in the top post, then delete all of our disdainful comments and lock the thread.

Return to “Dedicated Server”