ManiaPlanet server documentation

Moderator: NADEO

magnetik
Nadeo
Nadeo

ManiaPlanet server documentation

Post by magnetik »

Hi,

We just started a little guide with basic informations about the server.

http://doc.maniaplanet.com/

You can find the getting started guide here: https://doc.maniaplanet.com/dedicated-s ... ng-started

Frequent errors: https://doc.maniaplanet.com/dedicated-s ... ent-errors

A list of command line options is available too: https://doc.maniaplanet.com/dedicated-s ... mmand-line
ManiaPlanet technical documentation portal (Dedicated, ManiaLink, ManiaScript, Titles...) -- contribute!
jonthekiller
Translator
Translator

Re: ManiaPlanet server guide

Post by jonthekiller »

Nice :thumbsup: but for the command line, it's not UserData/Tracks but UserData/Maps, you write 2 times /game_settings.
oliverde8

Post by oliverde8 »

Nice, but why isn't it on this wiki : http://wiki.maniaplanet.com/en/Dedicated_servers

Having stuff all scattered around won't make it any easier for new comers :roll:
Developper for The next generation, Clean and Powerfull controller eXpansion for your SM & TM server . Working on eXpansion² with full MP4 support and many other awesome features...
Xymph

Post by Xymph »

"TitleId: the identifier of the title you want to start. Check the"... what?

Titles TMCanyon and TMStadium are missing from the table.
magnetik wrote:Command line options also available : https://github.com/maniaplanet/document ... nd-line.md
Seems to have some strange font & formatting problems.

Beyond that, it may be helpful, but I agree that its usefulness is decreased by fragmenting this info onto a different site, instead of integrating it with the existing Wiki/Manual.
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub
nocturne

Post by nocturne »

Just what I was thinking.. "isn't there already a wiki with just as much impertinent/inaccurate info..?" :roflol:

Xymph's quickstart guide is quite a bit more useful, and the wiki is already quite a bit more complete -- both just need a little updating for recent versions.

Whatever happened to the idea of opening up the wiki for community members to contribute to (in the spirit of being an actual 'wiki')? I'd love to be able to use it for quick-reference when looking up random things off-hand like methods (usually just go to Xymph's resources) or gbx infos -- but it's entirely incomplete. Open it up a bit, and I'm sure the community will straighten it out in no time flat.

Touting this as the server guide.. likely just to further confuse would-be server operators and fuel more questions.
magnetik
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by magnetik »

nocturne wrote:bla bla
I'm a little bit tired of your constantly negative attitude.

This repository on github allows user contribution via pull request whereas the wiki does not (for moderation issues, on github we can validate contribution before they are posted).

Feel free to make push request for gbx info etc: it' fairly easy.

This "basic" documentation is not meant to be exhaustive.
Xymph wrote:
"TitleId: the identifier of the title you want to start. Check the"... what?

Titles TMCanyon and TMStadium are missing from the table.
Thanks, i'll update it today.

--

I'm not sure why you seem to think that more documentation can lead to more confusion: bad or not up to date documentation will disappear (because nobody will link it etc.).
ManiaPlanet technical documentation portal (Dedicated, ManiaLink, ManiaScript, Titles...) -- contribute!
oliverde8

Post by oliverde8 »

magnetik wrote: I'm not sure why you seem to think that more documentation can lead to more confusion: bad or not up to date documentation will disappear (because nobody will link it etc.).
Yes but in this case it is on the offical wiki page, and it isn't bad it is a quite complete documentation but it is not upto date. There is more information there then on the one on github. One has all information on configuring a server but lacks the title part the other just explains the titles. individually they are useless to new comers.

Having everything on 1 wiki is much better then having them all across.

Sorry if we are pessimistic but we want everything perfect :D and at the moment documentation on the dedicated server is far from perfect.
Developper for The next generation, Clean and Powerfull controller eXpansion for your SM & TM server . Working on eXpansion² with full MP4 support and many other awesome features...
Xymph

Post by Xymph »

Thanks for the various fixes.
magnetik wrote:I'm not sure why you seem to think that more documentation can lead to more confusion: bad or not up to date documentation will disappear (because nobody will link it etc.).
I didn't say more info is bad, just that fragmenting it is.

There already is no shortage of resources for setting up the dedicated and server controllers (and for the latter, my list is limited to XAseco1/2 only). Obviously in that list, some links for the dedicated set-up are for old(er) versions, and also, Nadeo is not responsible for the variety of pages created by the community, but that doesn't mean it's a good example to follow. ;)

However, given that the TMU dedicated readme.html file was partially superseded by the official Manual wiki, which is also the single comprehensive information source for all things ManiaPlanet, it seems odd to start a second resource now with a different subset of info about the dedicated server. And your command line page also contains just a small subset of the available info, but perhaps that's intentional.

I understand your argument about differences in how users can contribute and how that is moderated. But ISTR that Nadeo also intend(s|ed) to open the Wiki for that. So for Nadeo, a better approach than maintaining two resources would be to address the contribution/moderation situation at the Wiki, and then keep all official server info in one coherent place. IMHO. :)
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub
hsz

Re: ManiaPlanet server documentation

Post by hsz »

So basically, if I want to install an elite server on a vps running debian, where is the most complete and up to date guide? Despite all the efforts from Nadeo, the lack of up to date informations is really a problem I hope to see fixed soon :)
Anyway, keep up the good work!

Return to “Dedicated Server”