Factors that can cause high "ping"

Moderator: NADEO

Mikael74

Factors that can cause high "ping"

Post by Mikael74 » 31 Aug 2019, 23:07

Hi,
I'm looking for factors that could explain a high ping of a ManiaPlanet dedicated server.

I launched a ManiaPlanet server instance on a rent dedicated server and according to htop statistics, CPU and RAM are not fully used (40% of the target core CPU, 25% of RAM). The network card is a 1 Gigabit Ethernet Card shared with others clients.

But when there are more than 40 connected players, the ping increased to more than 1000 ms which makes experience difficult for the players.

What could explain this increasing ping ? Is it a network issue of my provider or is it a problem with trackmania configuration ?

Could the server be "cpu limited" even if the cpu doesn't reach 100% ?

Any help would be appreciated ! :D

TMarc

Re: Factors that can cause high "ping"

Post by TMarc » 01 Sep 2019, 09:37

You wrote: a shared 1GB interface. This alone could be the reason.
You don't know how powerful the whole system is really.
While for regular webbased operations, like shops, some delay is acceptable, for online gaming the ping is always critical.
And the more ports are used, the less the indivudual connections have bandwith, and the more the system load rises, including rising delays in the computation.
A cause can be a bad implementation of the tcp/ip stack, a bad or inappropriare configuration, like buffer sizes.

Do you have possibilities to analyse / monitor the load of the different parts?

Otherwise you could restrict the count of simultaneous players to avoid an unacceptable rise of ping.
maniaplanet forum global moderator

Link list with FAQ, Support, Wiki, Tutorials, Community activities, and much more.

System specs: Intel i7-970 12GB RAM, nVidia RTX 2060 6GB, Creative SB X-Fi, 2xSSD 1xHDD

Mikael74

Post by Mikael74 » 01 Sep 2019, 09:59

Thank you for your quick answer !

I think I can check the load of the different parts with the mtr command but I doubt that I will have a complete view of the network.

To make diagnostics easier, I'm also interested with this topic and launch custom stress test :
viewtopic.php?f=261&t=46136

Mikael74

Post by Mikael74 » 01 Sep 2019, 18:49

Do you know why are there 2 ManiaPlanet launched processes for one server instance ? Is it multithreading ?

Return to “Dedicated Server”