TM2 Could not contact server

Moderator: NADEO

savage24x

TM2 Could not contact server

Post by savage24x »

Hello,

I moved addresses and had to switch internet providers from Verizon to Optimum. I have heard of issues with Optimum hosting servers. I have forwarded all ports as set in my server config file under UserData. These ports are 2351, 3451, and 5001. I am running TM2 Stadium. My server is hosted on another desktop in my house, rather than the one I am playing the game with.

These two desktops are connected to the same unmanaged hub, but this setup has worked for almost a decade in the old house. The only thing that happened was me moving houses. The config files haven't changed. The ports are open in the new router. Port Checking tools are able to connect to the ports without issue. I just can't connect to the server. What could I be missing?
232910_screenshots_20200408162733_1.jpg
232910_screenshots_20200408162733_1.jpg (345.28 KiB) Viewed 2061 times
Feel free to check if you have the same error on my server. The server ID is gravedig2142x.

Thanks all!
oliverde8

Re: TM2 Could not contact server

Post by oliverde8 »

That was a loop back feature of your old router; that the new must not have.

Basically what happened with your old router
- the computer asks the router connect me to "24.185.XXX.XXX"(so that's the internet IP of the server) at port 2350
- The router knows that "24.185.XXX.XXX" is actually himself;
- The router knows that it should handle the connection as an external connection, and therefore looks in the port forwarding to decide which computer to actually connect.
- The router redirect's everything to the proper computer in the LAN

The new router doesen't do that properly alot of routers have that issue.

What you should do:
- Check if you can join from another connection (mobile phone) or ask a friend to see if he can connect. If the ports are configured properly he will be able to.
- Don't connect throught the Internet part of the game; but go to the Lan menu and connect to your server that way. You are the only one that needs to do this.
Developper for The next generation, Clean and Powerfull controller eXpansion for your SM & TM server . Working on eXpansion² with full MP4 support and many other awesome features...
savage24x

Re: TM2 Could not contact server

Post by savage24x »

oliverde8 wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 21:43 That was a loop back feature of your old router; that the new must not have.

Basically what happened with your old router
- the computer asks the router connect me to "24.185.XXX.XXX"(so that's the internet IP of the server) at port 2350
- The router knows that "24.185.XXX.XXX" is actually himself;
- The router knows that it should handle the connection as an external connection, and therefore looks in the port forwarding to decide which computer to actually connect.
- The router redirect's everything to the proper computer in the LAN

The new router doesen't do that properly alot of routers have that issue.

What you should do:
- Check if you can join from another connection (mobile phone) or ask a friend to see if he can connect. If the ports are configured properly he will be able to.
- Don't connect throught the Internet part of the game; but go to the Lan menu and connect to your server that way. You are the only one that needs to do this.
Duh, should've tried out LAN before posting a whole thread. Looks like LAN is working. Now I just need a buddy to get online and test it out! Guess I will look into getting a public domain name to bypass the loopback feature missing from my router. Unfortunately, it's rented from the provider. I can not install something simple like DD-WRT to manage it manually.

Appreciate the quick reply!

Return to “Dedicated Server”