Please help me get my server running (Big ask, I know)

Moderator: NADEO

yaahooz

Please help me get my server running (Big ask, I know)

Post by yaahooz »

Good day everyone,

so the story is this:

I am a father of a 12 year old handicapped boy who recently fell in love with this game. He's been playing for quite some time and like a month ago he started asking me if I could set up our own server.

Nascar style, Canyon environment, that was his wish.

What do you say to your only son who has not so many pleasures in his life, being attached to a wheelchair all his life? You say "yes" obviously...

See, the problem is I am no coder, not to mention not really that savvy with technical stuff.

After haveing read many threads and spending quite a lot of time watching youtube tutorials I though I could give it a try.

So, I installed FireDeamonPro, prepared it in accordance to this tutorial: https://firedaemon.freshdesk.com/suppor ... ackmania-2, downloaded trackmania server.exe file, installed it. I have created the config file and the matchsettings file, created some maps, included the information I thought should have been included.

And then I hit a wall.

The server I created works, however for me only. I can access it in local mode only. When I search for it online, I can find it worldwide but when I try to access it, it says "It can't be accessed".

I edited the configuration of the game so the network is forced to use local IP which is my PC's IP. I also logged into my router settings and set it to forward ports from 2300 to 2400, 3400 to 3500 and 4990 to 5010 (IPv6). No results.

I don't know what else to do. If you guys can help me, I'd appreciate it a lot. I can upload any file or log you need, my router configuration screenshot, the game configuration's screenshot, FireDeamon's configuration's screenshot. Whatever's needed. Just tell me.

Also, assuming someone can help me and it finally works, how do I implement maniakarma into the server? So it displays times, records and lap times?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Timmeh7

Re: Please help me get my server running (Big ask, I know)

Post by Timmeh7 »

Not an expert here, but maybe you are missing the "server login"? Login at this page, goto Dedicated Server accounts and create one. Copy the login and password you choose into the dedicated_cfg.txt in /UserData/Config, inside <masterserver_account>. You can leave <validation_key> empty. Restart the server, and try again.

Edit: just saw that this was covered in the tutorial, my bad

If it doesn't help, maybe post a screenshot of your router settings, and the output when you start the server. But I would say being able to find it ingame is a good sign already.

Something like maniakarma comes with so called "server controllers", which would be another executable next to the dedicated server. I think UASECO is one controller that should have it.

I hope it works out! I'll try and check this thread for your answer
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

Before twiddling with a server controller, the pure dedicated server should be running fine by itself.
Perhaps cross - check with the official documentation of Maniaplanet.
https://doc.maniaplanet.com/

I have never heard of firedeamon, perhaps this is not really suited for Trackmania?
Also do not forget to open the ports in your windows firewall and antivirus/security suite if it has such settings.
HaagseSmurf

Post by HaagseSmurf »

Sadly there are some things missing in the official tutorial how to set up a server.
My recommendation is to use the best and most complete tutorial you can find and that is Reaby's tutorial.
You will also find probably the answers on your questions regarding the setup and the network stuff.
https://forum.maniaplanet.com/viewtopic ... 61&t=43622

Good luck!
HaagseSmurf

Check Smurfen.net and / or Smurfen.nu for all info.
You can also like our facebookpage at FaceBook Smurfen.net.
Or just visit
our Smurfen.net Canyon servers,
the Smurfen.net Valley and Royalserver.
yaahooz

Post by yaahooz »

Thanks for your input guys, I'll check the firewall and antivirus settings and will come back with the info
Miss

Post by Miss »

HaagseSmurf wrote: 28 May 2020, 12:11 Sadly there are some things missing in the official tutorial how to set up a server.
My recommendation is to use the best and most complete tutorial you can find and that is Reaby's tutorial.
You will also find probably the answers on your questions regarding the setup and the network stuff.

Good luck!
Which things are missing? I reworked the dedicated server page myself a while ago. Maybe it has too much of a technical focus rather than a complete beginner focus? :)
3080 RTX, Ryzen 3700X, 32GB RAM, Windows 11
Forum moderator, opinions are my own. :thx:
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.
HaagseSmurf

Post by HaagseSmurf »

Miss wrote: 28 May 2020, 13:48
HaagseSmurf wrote: 28 May 2020, 12:11 Sadly there are some things missing in the official tutorial how to set up a server.

Good luck!
Which things are missing? I reworked the dedicated server page myself a while ago. Maybe it has too much of a technical focus rather than a complete beginner focus? :)
You did a great job already Miss !
But compare your tutorial with Reaby's and check fe the setup of the dedicated.cfg and the matchsettingsfile. How to set up the laddermode is a good example. That is not on default on the dedicated.cfg.
I dont say your tut should be the same as Reaby''s, but all i know is that it helped a lot of people already and i think that 1 is almost complete.
Dont get me wrong, yours is nice as well like i said but i think it can be even better. And yes it should be usable for everyone, experienced but also for beginners.

Greetz
HaagseSmurf

Check Smurfen.net and / or Smurfen.nu for all info.
You can also like our facebookpage at FaceBook Smurfen.net.
Or just visit
our Smurfen.net Canyon servers,
the Smurfen.net Valley and Royalserver.
yaahooz

Post by yaahooz »

So a little update is this:
I disabled windows firewall and my antivirus program completely and still I can just access the server locally.
However, it appears that my internet runs on IPv6 only (if that makes any sense) and it might be an issue since all IP forwarding rules I can add are IPv6 only. Tomorrow im gonna call them and ask them to switch it to IPv4 (or add that possbility simultanously) and see if this helps.
Meanwhile thanks for all the input from you guys, really appreciated.
yaahooz

Post by yaahooz »

Update no. 2: It's working!~:)
The switch from IPv6 to IPv4 was apparanetly what this whole thing needed, since it's up and running.
Thanks everyobody and special shout out to FNG_Thatoneguy who walked me step by step through all of the obstacles.

Return to “Dedicated Server”