DEAR DEVS, we really need better anti-aliasing options

Talk here if you need help about Maniaplanet or its games

Moderator: English Moderator

tm2_stadium_beta

DEAR DEVS, we really need better anti-aliasing options

Post by tm2_stadium_beta »

As was previously anounced, DX11 64-bit version of the game engine is coming with update 4. This will improve load distribution on multi-core/threaded CPUs, which is what I was waiting to be fixed for quite a long time.
But today I want to talk about the anti-aliasing in Maniaplanet, or rather the lack of it. As we all know, on "Nice" and "Very Nice" shader quality the game has only one anti-aliasing option - FXAA. I'm not sure what exactly forced devs to stick with FXAA for those higher shader quality variants, but while FXAA has very small performance impact on modern GPUs, it also doing quite a poor job in removing jaggies and shimmering in motion. :( We need something like TXAA but with support for both GeForce and Radeon. :thumbsup:

I noticed that in some other popular multiplayer games, like World of Tanks, for example, apart from FXAA, there is also TSSAA.

Here's the information from reddit about the differences:
FXAA = Nvidia's first post-process anti-aliasing. Examines the rendered frame, finds where there are spots where the colors shift rapidly (I.E. model edges), and then applies a median filter over those spots. Technically the least impactful, but looks the worst (has a tendency of smearing over texture detail).
SMAA = Crytek's earliest temporal anti-aliasing (Tiago Sousa used to work at Crytek before they went to shit); cleaner than FXAA and the same performance impact, but can create some shader aliasing.
TAA = Bethesda's own temporal anti-aliasing. Same AA that was used in Fallout 4; same image softening, same performance impact.
All of these cost about 1 frame of performance.
There are also +1TX (an extra temporal pass) options of each of the above; slightly better IQ, at the cost of another frame.

Then there's id's own TSSAA (Temporal Super Sampling) in which the game takes samples from the past 8 rendered frames and applies them as anti aliasing. Absolutely zero aliasing artifacts, zero shader aliasing, a five frame performance impact, but it's EXTREMELY soft looking (it doesn't smear over texture quality like FXAA does, but it does create an almost "filmic" softness around the edges [which is probably why film grain, chromatic abberation, and the admittedly EXTREMELY high-quality motion-blur implementation were added in])
So, if possible, please add TSSAA support to Maniaplanet (or any other AA type which will almost completely eliminate aliasing and shimmering with minimal performance impact).

PS: And, dear devs, thank you for this awesome game! Trackmania 2 Stadium is the game that forced me to keep a discrete GPU in my PC for all these years. :pil
tm2_stadium_beta

Re: DEAR DEVS, we really need better anti-aliasing options

Post by tm2_stadium_beta »

DF Documentaries: The Making of Onrush! Building a Multi-Platform Engine From The Ground Up!

If only Maniaplanet had an antialiasing solution similar to that one... Such a great result with the performance penalty of only 10%...

Return to “Support & Bug Reports”