FPS drop and low GPU usage

Talk here if you need help about Maniaplanet or its games

Moderator: English Moderator

ogami

FPS drop and low GPU usage

Post by ogami »

Hello,

Have some troubles in maniaplanet since quite a time. I had a GTX 770 lightning SLI and i could render the game @4k and keep it under all circumstances above 60 fps, even creating very large maps (19000 coppers) with ultra reflection. All of a sudden the game started experiencing huge frame drop when in certain parts of a map.

I recently upgraded my gpu to a aorus 1080ti and rendering the game at my screen's native 2k resolution up to @4k still gives huge FPS drops(from 120 to 40) in some parts of the maps, on official solo maps as well as MP.

In the meantime, the GPU usage never gets above 50%.

Any idea?

I7 4770k @ stock frequency
16Gb DDR RAM
Aorus 1080ti xtreme
Windows 10
Alexey85

Re: FPS drop and low GPU usage

Post by Alexey85 »

Maybe power options changed somehow? Check that power options are set to max performance.
ogami

Post by ogami »

The are already set to max performance :)
Miss

Post by Miss »

It does sound like this could be caused by a lack of voltage to the GPU, I guess.. I'm not a hardware expert, but is your PSU strong enough for the card? (also, try different games too)
3080 RTX, Ryzen 3700X, 32GB RAM, Windows 11
Forum moderator, opinions are my own. :thx:
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.
ogami

Post by ogami »

my psu is 1000W, and other much more demanding games (Rise of the tomb raider, the witcher 3, Digital combat simulator etc..) run fine. Trackmania turbo does run perfectly fine with the same setups.

I tried to put cpu/gpu sync to "none" but to no effect.
Miss

Post by Miss »

You can always try completely re-installing (deleting all cache files & userdata as well), maybe that'll help. Upgrades could mess things up like that.
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream and tweet.
ogami

Post by ogami »

I reinstalled the game, and in canyon got great results, the FPS didn't drop and my GPU was used at 99%. I tried valley...30FPS, GPU used to 13%.
I clear all and reinstall again, try the same map in canyon...now at 30 FPS too with the GPU used to 15+%...

I don't really understand what happens here...
Miss

Post by Miss »

In-game, hit Ctrl+F7 and see if there's anything that looks off there.

You can also try Ctrl+F11 (press it 3 times, it has 3 modes)

Perhaps show some screenshots of the results of this during low performance :thumbsup: (It does sound like some hardware/driver issue rather than an issue with the game, though.)
I also stream and tweet.
ogami

Post by ogami »

Hello,
After tests, i can now better define the problem: The FPS drop steadily over time; typical test: valley A09, staying still on the start finish line, using ctrl+F11, the FPS start at 140, then over time decrease steadily and end up as low as 30. GPU/CPU frame times stay good, however the overall frametime increases and i found that it is the "unknown" item in the profiling that steadily increases its frametime. GPU usage drops steadily with that unknown increase in frametime. CPU usage is low and doesn't move.

In order to check hardware related issues, i used Hwmonitor , Open HWmonitor and Hinfo64 as well as Msi Afterburner. Temperature wise, none of the GPU, CPU, Ram, MotherBoard or HDDs get above 60° (most of them staying between 35 and 45°) so no temp problem there it seems. Voltages are also constant on GPU, CPU and motherboard.

So there seems to be no throttling due to heat or lack of power source.
I ran the same test with all of my other games (staying put for several minutes) and none of them show the symptoms of maniaplanet.

So it seems it is a maniaplanet related issue.
LuckyBoy
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by LuckyBoy »

Hello,

Could you post here some screenshots with Ctr+F7 pressed with all details (3 times), like Miss said, please ?
(post a screen when fps is ok, then some with bad fps)

You can also hover your mouse on big Cpu/Gpu usage to show part of frame details before taking a screenshot.
(top most line is GPU, line just below is CPU, colored bars give timing of different part of frame average, the time goes from left to right).

Thanks

Return to “Support & Bug Reports”