Car shininess - failure?

Talk about the car skins/models, mods and share them !

Moderator: English Moderator

c0ntrast

Car shininess - failure?

Post by c0ntrast »

I just made my first car to Trackmania 2, and in my opinion, it turns out great. But just one small fail, it seems like I can't change the shininess on the cars or rims? Everytime I do that after I've put the car in the right directory, it just change back to a total black car. From start its veryvery shiny, so the black i have on the car is totally chrome, which I really dont want.

Is there someway to change the shininess in some config file or something?
knaveskye

Re: Car shininess - failure?

Post by knaveskye »

i use a program called dxtbmp when finishing a skin and it allows you to load a custom Alpha layer or just edit the current one. If you take your Skindiffuse.dds and open it with the program, you will see the alpha channel in the top right. This controls the level of shine on your car, Pure white is most reflective, Black is no reflection. So if you want a little shine to stay, just edit the alpha to be a dark grey box. To be safe make a backup, and make sure you choose the correct format when you save it, i beleive it was DDS 5(or close to that). Hope this helps you.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia ... TBmp.shtml
Knave Skyes' Custom Skins for TM2:
Check them out!

blinky77

Re: Car shininess - failure?

Post by blinky77 »

knaveskye wrote:i use a program called dxtbmp when finishing a skin and it allows you to load a custom Alpha layer or just edit the current one. If you take your Skindiffuse.dds and open it with the program, you will see the alpha channel in the top right. This controls the level of shine on your car, Pure white is most reflective, Black is no reflection. So if you want a little shine to stay, just edit the alpha to be a dark grey box. To be safe make a backup, and make sure you choose the correct format when you save it, i beleive it was DDS 5(or close to that). Hope this helps you.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia ... TBmp.shtml
This really helped me out. I do painting on a Macbook, and the DDS plugin for Photoshop is Windows only so being able to edit alpha layers this way is great. Now all I have to worry about is painting and making sure everything looks right!

Return to “Workbench”