Tutorial for converting maps from MP3 to MP4

Talk about the track editor here

Moderator: English Moderator

pt_maps

Re: Tutorial for converting maps from MP3 to MP4

Post by pt_maps »

BestNoob wrote: 15 Jun 2017, 20:49 - So it is not doable per CMD / Batch via Steam Version ?! You have to install MP/Retail Version to update Maps ?!
the maps should be the same; just login to maniaplanet, download the client, install him and convert your maps.
BestNoob wrote: 15 Jun 2017, 20:49 - i saw Black Blocks on a few maps from a server does this mean they havent updated it ?
you can't play MP3 maps with MP4
BestNoob wrote: 15 Jun 2017, 20:49 - is there a difference between the script way or the manual single via Editor ?
you have to validate the maps again if you using the editor and the ID will change.
with the batch tutorial here, the map ID doesn't change.
Demented

Post by Demented »

pt_maps wrote: 18 Jun 2017, 23:05 you have to validate the maps again if you using the editor and the ID will change.
with the batch tutorial here, the map ID doesn't change.
That's not necessarily true.
I've converted about 340 maps in Canyon, Valley and Stadium to MP4 (Ultra) using the map editor and only had to re-validate 4 of them and that was only because they had blocks with geometry changes that made the maps unplayable.
CPU: Intel I7-4770 64Bit @ 3.4Ghz.
Ram: 32GB DDR3
GPU: Geforce GXT 1060 6.2GB DDR5
Windows: 7 Pro SP1 64bit
eyebo
Translator
Translator

Post by eyebo »

Big thanks to haagse for creating this topic! :3

I just wanted to share my own process for batch updating maps, as it may vary a little from others in this topic.
I don't claim this is the best way, but it's worked for me over the past couple months, while updating thousands of maps for Project GPU on Mania Exchange. So I thought it might be worth sharing.

Disclaimer: this is for the non-Steam version of ManiaPlanet.
  • 1. Move all your maps out of your maps folder except the maps you want to update.
  • 2. Open ManiaPlanet normally, like you are going to play.
  • 3. Open each of the titles and/or titlepacks that the maps will be updated in.
  • 4. Exit ManiaPlanet.
    Be aware that your game settings will affect the quality of the map thumbnail in your upgraded maps.
    So set your game to highest settings first if your PC can handle it.
    Also try to make sure you have local copies of all texture mods the maps use, so they show correctly in the thumbnail.
  • 5. Run the batch command.
    There are several different ways you could run the batch command:
    For option d, you only need to create the shortcut once. Then you can use it for all future batches.
    But if you're only doing one batch, option a might be the better choice.
    If you're going with option d, follow these instructions:
    To create a shortcut, right click on your desktop and choose "New -> Shortcut".
    When asked for the location, paste in this (or wherever your game is located):

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\ManiaPlanet\ManiaPlanet.exe"
    Click "Next"
    For a shortcut name, write: Upgrade Lightmaps
    Click "Finish"
    Right click the shortcut you just created and choose "Properties".
    In the area called "Target", erase everything and copy in the full batch command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\ManiaPlanet\ManiaPlanet.exe" /computeallshadows /upgrademaps /useronly /fullcheck /LmQuality=High
    Click "OK"
    Now double click on the shortcut to start the batch!
    Note that I do not use the /titles= parameter in the command.
    This lets the game to use whatever titlepack is needed when converting the maps.
  • 6. When the batch command launches ManiaPlanet, it gives you 4 options:
    Connect, Silent, Offline, or Select Profile.
    Choose Offline!
    This ensures the game doesn't try to look for updates for all of your installed titles and titlepacks.
  • 7. ManiaPlanet then has a dialog box that says:
    Load titles.
    Search of matching collections.
    There's an "OK" button. You don't have to press it.
    The game will take a moment and then move on to upgrading your maps.
    If the game closes while doing a batch, you can find which map may have been the culprit by looking at:

Documents\ManiaPlanet\UGCErrorsLog.txt
    Whatever is the last map in the list was probably the culprit for the failed batch.
  • 8. Remove the failed map and/or any completed maps from your maps folder before restarting the batch.
    It's easiest if you sort map files by "last modified" in the details view in Explorer.

The time the map was updated usually gives some indication if the map was successfully updated.
    But to be safe, use GbxDump to check the lightmap version of the map.

ManiaPlanet 3 and prior maps are going to be lightmap version 5 or version 6.
    Successfully updated ManiaPlanet 4 maps are going to be lightmap version 7.
  • 9. When your batch completes, you may get a warning dialog in the ManiaPlanet window that some maps couldn't be updated because they're from a certain title or titlepack. Do step 8 (removing only completed maps), and then go back to step 2 and start again.
    You can also use GbxDump to check maps to see which TitlePack ("Title ID") they were created in. Make sure the TitlePack is loaded into a station and that you've opened it once prior to starting the batch again.
  • 10. You may want to clear your game cache from your launcher settings when all is done, especially if you're upgrading 100s or 1000s of maps. The local lightmaps created can end up being quite large and you'll have GBs of them before you know it.
    Just be aware that clearing your cache will also remove any cached signs, music, mods, etc. So if you have limited bandwidth to download them again, be careful here.
Happy upgrading! :thumbsup:
Brejifus

Post by Brejifus »

We followed your instructions on converting our maps to work there are 50 of them and everytime we input the info to run it says they can not find trackmania stadium we are running on windows 7 and followed everything and trackmania is on c drive we would like to get maps up and running can you help
eyebo
Translator
Translator

Post by eyebo »

Brejifus, I don't know what the problem is. But if you'd like to zip up the maps and send them to me I'd be happy to convert them for you.
Last edited by eyebo on 09 Nov 2017, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.
Former QC Manager at Ubisoft Nadeo.
My tracks on: Mania Exchange (TM2) | TrackMania Exchange (TMUF)

For the devs: Ryzen 7 1800X / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 (477.22) @ 3840x2160 / Win10 64bit
lorino

Post by lorino »

.dds pannels are no more supported ?
After converting the maps, maps remain validated but if I try to edit them to only change the pictures on the pannels, I have to revalidate the map (and the track loses its previous records ...). Is there a way to modify pannels of a map without editing it ?
eyebo
Translator
Translator

Post by eyebo »

Haven’t tested, but try editing it in the TM2 titlepack. Of course that only works if you originally built in a base title.
Former QC Manager at Ubisoft Nadeo.
My tracks on: Mania Exchange (TM2) | TrackMania Exchange (TMUF)

For the devs: Ryzen 7 1800X / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 (477.22) @ 3840x2160 / Win10 64bit
stefan.fueger

Post by stefan.fueger »

I have a question about maps containing replays.

I have 25 Maps that contain the 4 replays for the medal times. IN solo mode the times are shown correctly but the replays won't race.

The people at Openplanet said that when MP4 doesn't recognize the replays the Scripts of Openplanet won't either.

Is there a way to extract the replays from a map so that the replays can be used for MP4 again.
Qlex

Post by Qlex »

Hi,

Maps do contain the medal times, but not the medal replays themselves. Normally, those replays are already there at MyMapName.Replay.Gbx and are MP4 compatible.
BestNoob

Post by BestNoob »

Hmm whatever i try i do not get it to work. I hope that you can help me.
It definily doesnt work with MP4
To join my TM Servers, search for: bestnoob :thumbsup:

Return to “Track Editor”