Are there any wild west themed items for Canyon?

Talk about the track editor here

Moderator: English Moderator

TastyMoonCheese

Are there any wild west themed items for Canyon?

Post by TastyMoonCheese »

Hey guys,
This seems kinda silly, but why are there no western themed, let alone any, items for the Canyon game? Not a single building, no props except some generic oil field stuff.

Canyon would be a great opportunity for some wild west ghost town scenery pieces, maybe some gold mine structures, Something fun to drive around.

Is there any of this stuff available already? And if not, I'd be willing to commission someone to produce a nice item set of gold mine structures, a proper set of ghost town buildings and props, and make it useable in multiplayer.

I'll even find the models, if you need me to. I have some awesome ghost town models that would be great for this.
Chevron
Translator
Translator

Re: Are there any wild west themed items for Canyon?

Post by Chevron »

- You did.
- And...
- ...I didn't.
TastyMoonCheese

Thanks for the link, but I already looked there, and couldn't find anything at all related to what I'm asking about. I'm willing to pay real money for someone to create an item pack containing these items for me, if anyone is up for it.
Demented

Post by Demented »

That does sound fun.
I made some boardwalk items with that kind of things in mind but they have borders on them that make them look more modern, rather than old west.
Old West Stores, Saloons, Barbershop, Corrals, Hitching posts, Water Well, Water Tower, etc... Is this what you are after?

This is what those boardwalks look like (although this is in a dark cave).
Boardwalk 800x.jpg
Boardwalk 800x.jpg (61.41 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
CPU: Intel I7-4770 64Bit @ 3.4Ghz.
Ram: 32GB DDR3
GPU: Geforce GXT 1060 6.2GB DDR5
Windows: 7 Pro SP1 64bit
TastyMoonCheese

Demented wrote: 15 May 2019, 15:26 That does sound fun.
I made some boardwalk items with that kind of things in mind but they have borders on them that make them look more modern, rather than old west.
Old West Stores, Saloons, Barbershop, Corrals, Hitching posts, Water Well, Water Tower, etc... Is this what you are after?

This is what those boardwalks look like (although this is in a dark cave).
Boardwalk 800x.jpg
Thats awesome! Your boardwalk set looks amazing, I'd love to use that in a track or two. Also, yes, everything you just listed is what I'm looking for. Plus some mine workings, such as a mine shaft with mine carts and track, some buildings like the ones I've attached
19829208-abandonded-mine-buildings-at-bodie-state-park-california.jpg
19829208-abandonded-mine-buildings-at-bodie-state-park-california.jpg (304.88 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
ca8827fad99ae66c2da7c2d9609a0333.jpg
ca8827fad99ae66c2da7c2d9609a0333.jpg (61.53 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
eyebo
Translator
Translator

Post by eyebo »

I see what you're going for. It would take quite a bit of work to re-create something that complex. I don't have time currently to work on it, but if no one else has taken up the challenge, I might be able to in a few months.

Here's some relevant items from Canyon Extensions:

They need a good make-over with some new materials.

And actually the first item ever uploaded on ManiaPark was also somewhat fitting to the ghost town look:

Former QC Manager at Ubisoft Nadeo.
My tracks on: Mania Exchange (TM2) | TrackMania Exchange (TMUF)

For the devs: Ryzen 7 1800X / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 (477.22) @ 3840x2160 / Win10 64bit
Demented

Post by Demented »

Eyebo, I remember when that item was made available. Little did I know that was the beginning of a whole new Trackmania coming.
@ TastyMoonCheese: That first picture you attached is from an abandoned mining town called Bodie California. I've actually done quite a bit of photography there. It's a pretty cool place and still mostly intact. Takes you back in time to walk through and see things as they were left back in the day.

I plan to upload those boardwalk items sometime soon. I would enjoy making some items in this theme but like Eyebo, I'm involved in other things at the moment but would certainly consider working on it at a later date.

Here's one of the shots I took in back 2010. I shot them all in color but then converted some to black and white for aesthetics.
2010_09_22  Bodie2322 (B&W).jpg
2010_09_22 Bodie2322 (B&W).jpg (170.97 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
TastyMoonCheese

Hey thanks for the links! I've actually been to Bodie myself as well, its truly an awesome ghost town. I actually put together a collection of low-poly Wild West buildings and props, with realistic textures, they all look really good, and would fit into Canyon nicely. They're all less than 20,000 verts/tris. I'd be willing to pay someone to convert them all into Canyon so that the community can use them in multiplayer tracks, properly scaled and ready to go.

If anyone is interested in porting them as an item pack, let me know, and I'll give you a link to the FBX files with embedded textures.
Demented

Post by Demented »

I don't do importing myself but many other player do.
An idea to make multiple buildings but still keep byte counts low for embedding (assuming embeddable objects is what you're after)...
Rather than making several unique buildings, make a couple of basic building shells (Side and back walls and a roof) then create several building "Fronts" that just snap onto the base buildings. This way you can put more details into the parts you see most.
Or you can create sets of universal walls, fronts and roofs that can be mixed in various ways for an even wider variety.
It will take a little longer to build a town this way but you could have much more variety with lower byte counts.

Return to “Track Editor”