[Plugin][Movable Blocks] Create maps with moving blocks

Talk about the track editor here

Moderator: English Moderator

donadigo

[Plugin][Movable Blocks] Create maps with moving blocks

Post by donadigo »

Hello everyone,

Because of the recent release of the Movable Blocks, which is a plugin for the ManiaPlanet scripting platform - Openplanet, I thought it would be nice a good occasion to make a post here about the plugin itself. I hope this is the right place for this kind of post. :)

The plugin allows you to create maps with moving blocks or items in them. Using a simple interface you can choose a block in the editor and define where the block should move to, how long the movement should be, or if it should loop as well. Then you can create MediaTracker clips to activate / deactivate the movement of a certain block which allows for creating dynamic environments or decoration.

It's written in the main Openplanet scripting language - AngelScript and a little bit of C++ for it's DLL, which source you can find here: GitHub.

I think the plugin can be used in e.g puzzle maps or fun maps where competition isn't that important. I'm not sure if this kind of feature was ever considered by the Nadeo team, but I believe it can add a fun element to maps in general. The newest release of the plugin allows to move custom-made items which opens up many possibilities to the mappers as well.

You can read on more details such as release notes or download here: https://donadigo.github.io/movableblocks
A video demonstrating an example usage: YouTube
And here some maps made with the plugin: The Tower by me, Ponts by Yannex, Perfection by Flirno

Enjoy and let me know what you think! :D
TMarc

Re: [Plugin][Movable Blocks] Create maps with moving blocks

Post by TMarc »

this is something the community has waited quite long for... really cool :thumbsup:
Stickied.

Sadly it is restricted to be used with OpenPlanet, right?

What will players see when they don't have OpenPlanet?
Just a gap?
donadigo

Post by donadigo »

Yes, unfortunately this is limited to OpenPlanet only. I'd love to make it so that it could be used without it, but it seems like it's not really possible with Maniascript or other means.
If a map with moving blocks is played e.g on a server, then for people who don't have Openplanet and the script the blocks will stay in their original positions without moving. Those who do, will have them working properly.
mooseman2099

Post by mooseman2099 »

This is really cool indeed. What an excellent product. :thx:

What is Open Planet? Sorry for not reading enough. PM me to direct me or tag here. Bloody awesome, the RPG guys will love this. If its in RPG as well.
TMarc

Post by TMarc »

OpenPlanet is a tool which allows some modifications of Maniaplanet.

See here at http://openplanet.nl for more details.
maxi031

Post by maxi031 »

This is awesome stuff and should be in vanilla game also.
My specs:
MOBO: MB AM3+ 970 Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P
CPU: AM3+ AMD FX-8320E
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX750-Ti ASUS 2GB DDR5
RAM: DDR3 8GB 1866MHz Kingston HyperX
SSD: SATA3 120gb SanDisk
TY MICMO

Return to “Track Editor”