emmanuel19

Re: What new block do you want to see?

Post by emmanuel19 » 16 Apr 2016, 07:27

Hi !
This is really a great idea ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap:

rat_in_car

Post by rat_in_car » 16 Apr 2016, 10:56

I wonder whether any of the proposed block was implemented in game or is it just talk for fun (or simply waste of time)?

emmanuel19

Post by emmanuel19 » 16 Apr 2016, 12:22

Indeed these blocks have already been requested since TMUF and nothing happened! :D :D :D

Demented

Post by Demented » 16 Apr 2016, 16:43

Magnetic blocks were suggested a while back and they are now in Lagoon.
I know Nadeo looks at this thread from time to time because they have mentioned it to me.
It does let them know what people are interested in.
CPU: Intel I7-4770 64Bit @ 3.4Ghz.
Ram: 32GB DDR3
GPU: Geforce GXT 1060 6.2GB DDR5
Windows: 7 Pro SP1 64bit

Fix
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by Fix » 17 Apr 2016, 00:56

rat_in_car wrote:I wonder whether any of the proposed block was implemented in game or is it just talk for fun (or simply waste of time)?
You can compare this list to the additions to TMT blocks maybe ?

About the diagonals. It's an old wish. It can be awkwardly (does this word exist?) done with blocks for platforms/Arenas such as coast circuit or stadium circuit. But for standard roads, it's really a lot more complicated with a square cutting grid. having the geometry connect is easy. For the texturing it's another story.

emmanuel19

Post by emmanuel19 » 17 Apr 2016, 06:46

Hi ! :D
As I said in my first post, stadium is being decliner by lack of renewal. Some parts like the three mentioned could lead to new combinations and give ideas to mappers.

Demented

Post by Demented » 17 Apr 2016, 16:08

Thanks Fix.
Do you have any thoughts on the idea of a future version offering the ability to use nodes to resize certain blocks along a x y and even z axis while editing tracks?

Fix
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by Fix » 18 Apr 2016, 14:12

Demented wrote:Thanks Fix.
Do you have any thoughts on the idea of a future version offering the ability to use nodes to resize certain blocks along a x y and even z axis while editing tracks?
I'm not sure I understood perfectly the concept, maybe my answer is wrong.
I think there are 2 ways to do that
-With our actual block system that would be a kind of script that will place different block variants depending of the context, a bit like roads, terrain or rectassyms (stadium's inflatables or bay's buildings).
That would mean making all these mandatory variants for it to work, and the combinations are exponential... and with time/schedules constraints, that would certainly mean not making a lot of the other blocks.
It could be done for simple aerial roads such as stadium's main one.
But as soon as you reach the ground, or want a more natural/ immersive look (valley road dirt/forest for instance), the amount of time to make each variant is a lot bigger.
-Having a dynamic modifier that changes the shape of a block would need a simplier block design, and I'm sure a lot of programming as well.
Only Hylis has the keys of such complex choices, because this is linked to many different subjects, time to be done/strategy, does it fit the maniaplanet/editor vision/purpose, long term consequences, etc...

Miss

Post by Miss » 18 Apr 2016, 15:35

Stretching dynamically seems like a gimmick, mostly because that will make most blocks look awkward (besides maybe arena blocks).
1070 GTX, Ryzen 3700X, 16GB RAM, Windows 10
Forum moderator, opinions are my own. :thx:
Check out Image openplanet, the alternative ManiaPlanet & Turbo scripting platform! (Openplanet subforum)
I also stream on Twitch and tweet on Twitter.

Demented

Post by Demented » 18 Apr 2016, 15:48

A dynamic modifier might not be the best way to do this unless it followed some very precise algorithms. Premade blocks for variants on many but not all blocks would probably be better to insure exact replications.

An example of my idea might be like this.
In Stadium there are already 4 different sizes of paved turns, 5 if you use just the single road block:
Image Image Image Image Image

If these were all represented in the blocks menus with just one icon like Image but with a marking on it so people know its a sizable block, players could select that, place it and using either anchor nodes or keyboard keys drag it out to the size they want (within a predefined block variation list).
You could have maybe as many as 10 variations of some blocks shapes and sizes like chicanes and hills and such.
Obviously this wouldn't work or even be necessary with all blocks but for many it could free up block menu space and allow for more variations of the more common block types such as:
Image Image Image & Image Image Image

Freeing up the block menu will allow for more variations for blocks like these also:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Return to “Track Editor”