(TUTORIAL) What is: Colorgrading?

Talk about the MediaTracker here

Moderator: English Moderator

Platysynthesis

(TUTORIAL) What is: Colorgrading?

Post by Platysynthesis »

I love Trackmania. I've been a fan since I was only 4 years old. Unfortunately, because that it's such an underrated game franchise in the West, not much have been documented about the game, and it left players confused on how to play or how the game even work, especially the replay editor.

So that's why I'm making my own series of how this block effects work, starting with colorgrading.

Key words are marked bold and blue.

What is colorgrading?
Good question, user. Colorgrading (also known as color correction) is a type of color effect used to modify the colors of one scene to deliver a sense of mood. For example, if the colors are bright, it usually gives off a happy mood, while almost-desaturated colors show a sadder mood, and warmer colors can show multiple meanings, too.

Colorgrading is used mostly in movies, but also used in games, too, to give the graphics more beauty than the bland, normal color effect.
What are the types of colorgrading in the game?
There are 16 types of colorgrading in this game, but I believe you can make more yourself.

The first one is Black_And_White, and as you guessed, it makes the game look black and white.
There are three versions of Black_And_White: 25, 50, and 75. B&W-25 adds a load of contrast into dark areas of the effect, giving it a World War II look, while B&W-50, unlike the 25 version, adds high constrast to the bright areas of this effect, and B&W-75 adds contrast to both color values, making it as if you're seeing the face of God, figuratively speaking.

The second one is Abyss, which adds blue and cyan into the scene, adding a lonely mood to the track.

The third effect is DarkSunset (also known as cross-processing A) which adds a beautiful combination of green and yellow, and this type of effect is used commonly in Technicolor films, like the 1966 documentary film, Grand Prix.

Next is Fantasy, which adds exposure into the scene (which means the brightness and glossiness of light), and adding in some vivid colors, too, also used in Technicolor films.

The fifth effect is Cold, which, like Abyss, gives a lonely mood into the scene.

The sixth effect is Greys, which is like Black & White 25, 50, and 75, but adds NO contrast.

Identity_16x16x16. This does nothing and I assume it's supposed to be a test.

Negative, which inverts all values in the scene to their opposites. For example, blue is yellow and green is pink-red.

Paint posterizes the scene and desaturates some colors to add an amateur painting effect.

Sepia desaturates the scene and adds yellow to give a vintage look. When combined with vignettes (which I will get to in a later tutorial), it adds a better effect.

Psycho takes all color from the scene and randomly adds hue, brightness, contrast, and inverse to them to add a psychotic "drug" effect.

And lastly, Warm, which adds a warm-color effect to the scene, as if the sun is setting right in front of you.

What are the values of this effect block?
The only effect block is Intensity, which determines how intense the colorgrade effect is.If the knob is all the way to the left, the effect does nothing, but when it is moved to the right, the effect is on full blast.

This is the end of the tutorial, and if you still have questions, don't be afraid to ask below. :)
Last edited by Platysynthesis on 17 May 2015, 02:39, edited 2 times in total.
TMarc

Re: (TUTORIAL) What is: Colorgrading?

Post by TMarc »

Good start :thumbsup:
But please add screenshots of the game itself, and remove the picture of the girl, which is probably not royalty-free ;)
Platysynthesis

Re: (TUTORIAL) What is: Colorgrading?

Post by Platysynthesis »

Alright, thanks for the advice. Once I get on my computer (I'm on mobile), I will make these changes. ^^

Return to “MediaTracker”