Best codec to use to export replay?

Talk about the MediaTracker here

Moderator: English Moderator

GideonB

Best codec to use to export replay?

Post by GideonB »

When I come to shoot the video it comes up with a list of codecs I should use.
I use DivX usually because its actually pretty good quality but it is a HUGE memory hog (3GB for one process and this is a 32bit program 0_0)

Any ideas what codec I should use to export my replay?
SiH13

Re: Best codec to use to export replay?

Post by SiH13 »

lagarith lossless codec
Screek

Post by Screek »

The best way to go around this, is to exsport it uncompressed, and then compress it in a 3'rd part software later, imo.

The way i do it is like this - Exsport uncompressed (1920*1080, 30fps, max details and video gfx, anti allizing x9)
Then i edit whatever i want to edit and put all my clips together in a software called "sony vega" and save it in 1 file (still uncompressed) and then i will take this giant uncompressed file into a another software called "handbreak" and chose what render settings i want, bitrates and whatever. I use Mp4 container and h254 codec.

Its gonna take up a lot of space, but its worth it in the end imo and you can delete all the uncompressed videos when your done ;)

whatever settings you chose then i would recommend you chose to render at the same settings as you record the game with.

Im not a exspert and im still playing around on how to get the best visuall quality in a movie so far i got this - http://www.youtube.com/user/screek?blend=21&ob=5 watch it in 1080p for the optimized quality.

Hope i was of help! :D
lobius

Post by lobius »

Those two replies are not very nice for talking out of their butts like that.

The best way is to get the open source codec called ffdshow. If you get the application called ffdshow tryouts from sourceforge, it will install everything correctly on your windows machine.

Once installed, go back into Trackmania (any version) and shoot video. You will find ffdshow on your list.

Click configure on your first time out. From left to right along the top drop selections…

Encoder: MPEG-4
FOURCC: XVID
Mode: one pass, quality

On the next line, set the quality to 100.

At 1280 x 768, you will get an excellent clip. You will get ONE clip sized at ~150MB per minute.

None of this eight part gigabyte per part BS done by the other codecs.

It's a much shorter path to getting a quality video on youtube or facebook or mania exchange or mania planet or wherever you want
metoxys
Translator
Translator

Post by metoxys »

Install the K-Lite Codec Pack, comes with ffdshow (also using it)
eyebo
Translator
Translator

Post by eyebo »

I use Koepi's XviD binary.

It has an option to set 1080p, and the files are accepted by Sony Vegas. I don't know if its the best option, but it's what I've been using since TM United.
Former QC Manager at Ubisoft Nadeo.
My tracks on: Mania Exchange (TM2) | TrackMania Exchange (TMUF)

For the devs: Ryzen 7 1800X / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 (477.22) @ 3840x2160 / Win10 64bit
metoxys
Translator
Translator

Post by metoxys »

eyebo wrote:It has an option to set 1080p
Can't you set ALL the resolutions in TM?
Jikap

Post by Jikap »

I don't think you're gonna get a straight answer on this one, it's basically a personal thing, where you find what works best for you.

Uncompressed & lossless compression will win over any lossy compressions in terms of quality, but they might also take up a lot of space. (lossless compression will take less space while keeping the quality, if I'm not mistaken. Will still be a big file to keep on your HD though.)

Lossy compressions will lower the quality, while taking less of your HD space in most cases.

Personally, I also use ffdshow, this time from the CCCP pack. :lol:

In that version, the setting is a bit different:
Encoder: MJPEG
FOURCC: MJPG
Mode: one pass, quality (set to 100)

(this is a lossy compression btw, so not ideal for quality)

And as far as resolution goes:
Make sure you render your videos in windowed mode.
If it's in full-screen, It'll render in your monitor's resolution. ( you won't be able to change resolution before rendering, or it just might be me, lol)
But in windowed mode, you can pretty much use any resolution you want, within reason. :p
eyebo
Translator
Translator

Post by eyebo »

metoxys wrote:
eyebo wrote:It has an option to set 1080p
Can't you set ALL the resolutions in TM?
Of course. But there is also an option to optimize the encoder for 1080p. That's what I meant.
Former QC Manager at Ubisoft Nadeo.
My tracks on: Mania Exchange (TM2) | TrackMania Exchange (TMUF)

For the devs: Ryzen 7 1800X / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 (477.22) @ 3840x2160 / Win10 64bit
Heku

Post by Heku »

tried these things...
lobius wrote: Click configure on your first time out. From left to right along the top drop selections…

Encoder: MPEG-4
FOURCC: XVID
Mode: one pass, quality
i can only get these Encoders: MJPEG , HuffYUV, FFV1, DV, Uncompressed

and i did as you instructed.. downloaded from sourceforge (ffdshow tryouts), installed it, and started tm2.. why cant i get Encoder: MPEG-4?
and
metoxys wrote:Install the K-Lite Codec Pack, comes with ffdshow (also using it)
well first i installed ffdshow (tryouts) and when i was to install K-Lite Codec Pack, it told me to delete ffdshow, so i did it.. and then i installed K-Lite Codec Pack, but then nothing showed up in the little box where i choose the codecs... so how am i supposed to do this?

hulp?

Return to “MediaTracker”