[K project] distributed rendering

Talk about the MediaTracker here

Moderator: English Moderator

MBC6

[K project] distributed rendering

Post by MBC6 »

Hi guys,

Me and a couple of friends are preparing a video for a k project. We are wondering whether it is possible or not to render the video on multiple computers with distributed calculation.

Thanks in advanve

MBC6 and the k project team
20 K project Team :
Thebigpilot / Solixtrem / Xii /
Dododingo / Underman77 ...
http://www.youtube.com/user/MandSTuts?feature=mhee
4K project
20 K Project teaser
metoxys
Translator
Translator

Re: [K project] distributed rendering

Post by metoxys »

Ain't possible
summerdrive

Re: [K project] distributed rendering

Post by summerdrive »

I know this is a really old thread, but this information might help someone else (like me ... I'm just learning all this stuff too and searching through these old posts).

What I've found is this: If you want to do a K-track, it seems easiest to make a lot of smaller custom cameras and then render lots of pieces of your final video idea. You use the Editing Cut block to render just a short section of your replays with just the short custom camera for a little scene. Make a script of what scenes you'd like in your final video, and then make a custom camera clip or replay with just one scene at a time.

What I mean is that you will have a bunch or replay files (or clips, either way can be used), and each one will only have 1 (or maybe 2) custom camera(s) in it, just for the short piece that you want for that scene. Your other clips will have the other custom cameras you want for your other scenes. So for example, if you have a 20 second map, and want your final video to be 3 minutes, then you will need lots of small scenes that you will stick together later in a video editing program. It takes some planning and testing, and like I said, you must make a script, even if you change it later. Your script at least gives you a starting point. Then when you have a list of all the scenes you want, you will have a bunch of smaller rendering jobs, and they don't have to all be done on one computer. Each of these small jobs can still take many hours to render depending on how many replays you have.

BUT - AND THIS IS IMPORTANT - If you do this on several computers, the graphics card in each computer and the settings in the game configuration and final render settings will affect how each render will look. So you have to find some common level of quality that all the computers can achieve or else if will be noticeable in the final video.

You could of course be a bit creative and plan on some different effects in various parts of your finished project, such as a black and white section, or other coloring effects, etc, and then using different computers will not be noticeable. For example, you could have a lower quality graphics card in the computer that makes the black and white renders. If the computers were nearly identical, then there would be no limitations.

I'm still new at this myself and I'm just working on my first K-Project, but I've been doing a lot of research and experimentation and this is what I've figured out so far.

And, please, anyone else that has some experience with this, please tell about your experiences with this or similar issues.

Return to “MediaTracker”