Policy for increasing request rate limitation

Maniaplanet public API, ManiaConnect system and the open source PHP SDK.

Moderator: NADEO

gouxim
Nadeo
Nadeo

Policy for increasing request rate limitation

Post by gouxim » 15 Feb 2012, 11:43

Fellow coders,

A few asked me about increasing the request rate limit so I thought i'd share our policy on the forum for future reference.

Our policy is not to increase the request rate limit a priori. It allow us to better handle server load ; it also "force" developers to use important best practices such as caching (no need to request the same player object 1000 times per hours ; it's better to cache it for like 1 or 2 hours). Moreover, in my experience, people tend to underestimate this limit.

If however you actually reach the limit (see graph on the API username management page), send me a message with your username: I will check the graph and increase the limit if needed.

QED :ugeek:
Please do not PM for support. Instead, create a thread so that everyone can contribute or benefit from the answer! 8-)

calaagree

Re: Policy for increasing request rate limitation

Post by calaagree » 21 Feb 2012, 20:02

Indeed coders need to add a caching system because the number of connections can be very high. I've juste one question, why don't separate the OAuth part? On a big site, it is really easy to be at 200 connections in one hour, and this may be the thing that would block devs.

This is my point of view, for the rest, you can as well use 3 api as a load balancer and then it reaches to 600 connectiosn by hour, which is really enough.

gouxim
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by gouxim » 04 Apr 2012, 15:56

When you say
why don't separate the OAuth part? On a big site, it is really easy to be at 200 connections in one hour
I don't agree. It really depends on the kind of service your offering.

Nevertheless, the goal is to provide a worflow that is confortable for the developpers, whether they use data services or auth services.
Please do not PM for support. Instead, create a thread so that everyone can contribute or benefit from the answer! 8-)

jonthekiller
Translator
Translator

Post by jonthekiller » 27 Jul 2012, 13:29

I have seen it's now 600 request per hour :thumbsup:

gouxim
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by gouxim » 27 Jul 2012, 14:38

:yes:

Return to “Maniaplanet Web Services”