[How to ] open/save NormalMaps for mods

Discuss everything related to custom data creation.

Moderator: NADEO

Fix
Nadeo
Nadeo

[How to ] open/save NormalMaps for mods

Post by Fix »

I've seen some authors having problems with the NormalMaps in their mods.
This is because with maniaplanet, we have been using a different compression system than for TMUF : We use Ati2N compression.

But, unfortunately photoshop+Nvidia DDS plug'in doesn't open these .dds properly. That means you can't make your own normal maps directly from an existing texture_N.dds.
To work correctly, uou have to open the .dds with
the compressonator.
-Open the DDS
-File>Save Original>save as .TGA

Then, open this .TGA in photoshop, it will look like any other standard normal map. Once you are done, save this .tga as .dds (see above) in your mod folder.
(you need NVidia dds plug'in installed ):
-save as DDS
-select 3Dc XY 8bpp | NormalMap
-Image Options : ImageType = NormalMap:TangentSpace
meuh21

Re: NormalMaps format for mods

Post by meuh21 »

With Gimp I use "BC5 / ATI2 (3Dc)" as compression and it seems to work fine. Edit : DXTBMP is NOT also a possibility to open .dds and transfer to Gimp (or Photoshop).

I made a small turorial (in french but with screens and the method is from CGtextures) for normal maps : http://www.maniapark.com/forum/viewtopi ... 89&t=19990
VMan2002

Re: [How to ] open/save NormalMaps for mods

Post by VMan2002 »

Download is broken
xrayjay

Post by xrayjay »

http://www.maniapark.com/forum/viewtopi ... 85&t=22211

open it with intel texture works plugin, it should open the file right. Saving with intel or nvidia plugin possible, see the images which options are the "good" ones ;)
BestNoob

Post by BestNoob »

xrayjay wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 12:19 http://www.maniapark.com/forum/viewtopi ... 85&t=22211

open it with intel texture works plugin, it should open the file right. Saving with intel or nvidia plugin possible, see the images which options are the "good" ones ;)
Thats not working.
Is there a actual LINK for The Compressonator ?
To join my TM Servers, search for: bestnoob :thumbsup:
xrayjay

Post by xrayjay »

It´s working :D On which step you don´t know what to do exactly?
BestNoob

Post by BestNoob »

xrayjay wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 09:01 It´s working :D On which step you don´t know what to do exactly?
Without much talking, try it with Adobe PS Nvidia Plugin and Valley FarmObjects_D.dds
The thing is your both "How to" never worked for me xD btw. i edited your
https://doc.maniaplanet.com/nadeo-impor ... -normalmap and added some needed informations please check and approve.
To join my TM Servers, search for: bestnoob :thumbsup:
xrayjay

Post by xrayjay »

even works with FarmObjects texture :D

Don´t know what´s your problem if you didn´t tell :roflol:

btw. that´s a file format specification (and this link to the doc is old and outdated, see this > http://www.maniapark.com/forum/viewtopi ... 85&t=22211 )

This nvidia normal map filter is just a very rudimentary tool, for more precise work you need additional tools like b2m / substance painter / shadermap or other tools ;)

read it, there´s nothing special or extra hard on this thing ;)
:pil
Electron

Post by Electron »

This guide to quickly create a NormalMap is still useable.
Only the value of 30 for the scale is significantly too high. I normally use 3 to 6, but in very few exceptional cases I increase the value to max. 10.
Before creating the NormalMap, you should already have a correctly created SpecularMap so that you can better see the 3D effect.
I also always create the NormalMap directly from the DiffuseMap (edited for the creation of the NormalMap). Then you don't have the problem that the NormalMap is not opened correctly (see the initial posting of Fix).

I cannot recommend using the Intel DDS Texture Works plugin to save the NormalMap, as described here as an alternative.
The tool may open Normal maps correctly, but does not save it conform (it stores the BC5U FourCC as D3DFMT enumeration instead of a DXGI_FORMAT enumeration in the extended header).
In my last test, ManiaPlanet could not interpret such a marked DDS file correctly either. The textures were displayed without 3D effect and much too dark. I have not yet tested whether this has been corrected in the meantime.
EDIT: I just tested it again after all. Normal maps in BC5U format are still not supported by Maniaplanet. They must be saved as 3Dc (marked as ATI2).
TM²: TrackMania Telemetry Monitor version 1.2.4

Return to “Title Pack & Custom Data Creation”