First time of maniaplanet report: a bit daunting.

Moderator: NADEO

Shade0fGrayl

First time of maniaplanet report: a bit daunting.

Post by Shade0fGrayl » 06 Jul 2012, 14:39

I wanted to post in here my first opinion of the maniaplanet 2.0 interface, through which I had to go to get to Shootmania.
Registering: can't use Ubisoft login. That was a big surprise, but nowhere did I find it written although I searched for info, that you have to have seperate maniaplanet details. It slowed me getting started as I tried to work out what was up. Another thing, was that these forums and maniaplanet are tied only by a link provided for convenience...I don't mind this; Other games have come into trouble before by using game logins for forum access. I just imagined that the maniaplanet had one all-covering login.

I selected my desktop resolution in the installer and launched the maniaplanet...WHAT'S HAPPENED! I say in concern. What am I meant to do here? - despite setting to the native desktop resolution, I thought a number of panels were left inaccessible, extending off beyond the screen on either side. Is there an error/bug?! :? The interface fills the entire screen. I feel like I am in some kind of simulator pod viewing in first-person or something. I've never seen a menu like this, it's alien. I feel a bit overwhelmed.

No doubt I'm impressed, but this thing's just dropped itself over my desktop (at least it's not ugly, does come with its own soundtrack, and features a digital time reminder, though. Thoughtful - you can even easily manage 3D settings from there! :) ), but I plan and intended to play Shootmania. Around ten minutes after this time, I realise I can use the mouse to drag the main block of panels about, to get to previously unseen parts of the interface. By scrolling to the top a menu bar can be found. When running a game you have to double-click the image.

rctcool0

Re: First time of maniaplanet report: a bit daunting.

Post by rctcool0 » 06 Jul 2012, 17:47

In the upper right-hand corner is a button that will allow you to run the game in a window, if you like.
Also, the + button at the bottom allows you to manage the layout of the titles installed. As for the Ubisoft login, I am a little surprised that it did not accept it, though MP is kind-of its own entity. The idea of ManiaPlanet is to have a dashboard for quickly accessing multiple games in the Mania series. I can see how one would be a bit overwhelmed if they just wanted to play SM and nothing else, and there should be an option for a quick launch into the game.

aborttrap

Re: First time of maniaplanet report: a bit daunting.

Post by aborttrap » 10 Jul 2012, 18:24

rctcool0 wrote:In the upper right-hand corner is a button that will allow you to run the game in a window, if you like.
Also, the + button at the bottom allows you to manage the layout of the titles installed. As for the Ubisoft login, I am a little surprised that it did not accept it, though MP is kind-of its own entity. The idea of ManiaPlanet is to have a dashboard for quickly accessing multiple games in the Mania series. I can see how one would be a bit overwhelmed if they just wanted to play SM and nothing else, and there should be an option for a quick launch into the game.
+1 for the quick launch idea.

@ the OP: You can click the area where another panel peeks out on the screen to switch left/right too. But I agree, seeing just a screen with no real direction made me feel a little worried. I like that Nadeo's caught onto the 'iOS-style dragging' metaphor, but I think it needs to be more better established. I think the incentive to drag up/downward to get to your titles should be made more clearer too. (to be honest, I really think they should just ditch the 'stations' idea, I can't see it serving any real purpose. Instead they should just be able to look at ManiaHome or choose a title, right from a single 'section')

Return to “Maniaplanet Reports”