[B1.1] Network latency issues on slower ADSL connections

Moderator: NADEO

Toiletjuice

[B1.1] Network latency issues on slower ADSL connections

Post by Toiletjuice »

Cross posting from the main shootmania forum:
Hi, I purchased Shootmania earlier tonight and tried to play a couple of matches. However, the in-game experience was very laggy, even when trying to play on multiple different servers. The lag was definitely not hardware related, as my PC runs the game just fine.

I do not have a very fast ADSL connection, and this seems to be the culprit. My download speed is capped at 384Kbps, and my upload speed at 128Kbps. This means that my line cant handle download speeds higher than 40kb/s and my upload speeds cant exceed 14kb/s. Unfortunately I cannot upgrade my line speed currently due to various reasons, otherwise this would obviously have been a convenient solution.

Whilst playing tonight, I opened a network monitoring program on my computer called Netbalancer, which shows me the exact amount of bandwidth that any program on my computer uses. It would seem that Shootmania uses a rather high amount of upload bandwidth - at times exceeding 10 kb/s. Naturally this will cause problems, as when you start to reach the maximum download / upload speed on your line, you will experience lag - like in any other game.

This has not been a problem for me in any other online games that I have played before on this connection (QL, TF2, CS, SC2, LOL, DOTA2, COD, and countless others) so I am rather surprised that the game uses so much bandwidth. If there is no way that a player can configure the game to best utilize their internet connection, then problems like this will arise.

I wanted to ask if any of you know of any way to tweak network settings for the game in order to fine-tune how much bandwidth the game can use, or can possibly provide any other solutions. I have configured the Maniaplanet launcher to an adequate value for my line speed under the network connection settings tab, but it seems that these have no effect on Shootmania itself. Is there is no way to edit network settings via a config file? I haven't spotted any settings in-game that addresses network speed.

It would be great if the developers could take notice of this, and possibly give us any feedback on whether the game will allow network tweaking in future, or if there are already methods available to do so. I have been searching on the forums tonight, but I have not found anything yet that has helped. Unfortunately it seems that the game will not be playable for me in it's current state - but I do of course realize that the game is still in beta, and that it's likely that changes will be made in order to address this.
I have done further testing this morning - the game seems to require an excessive amount of upload speed when playing - maxing out my line frequently at 15kb/s upload speeds. Naturally when the upload speed goes so high, the game is completely unplayable due to my connection not being able to keep up.

I am really not quite sure why the game requires so much upload bandwidth, and would really like to find out why. Is it a server side cvar that sets the upload requirement to be so high, is it something in my client side settings? I have disabled all the peer to peer options in the maniaplanet launcher advance options, I have played around with various different settings for my connection speed - none of these have ANY effect whatsoever on how much upload bandwidth my connection uses whilst playing.

It is completely unplayable for me at the moment unfortunately, it would be great if anyone can provide a solution to this problem.
Toiletjuice

Re: [B1.1] Network latency issues on slower ADSL connections

Post by Toiletjuice »

Issue is still present in version 1.1.
Alinoa

Post by Alinoa »

Can you please specify your system specs / OS? Did you try to play on servers located near to where you live? Did this issue also occurs on all servers?
Ubisoft Support
Your Player Page

More information about maniaplanet, support, contents, community activities: useful links

ManiaPlanet technical documentation portal (Dedicated server, Mediatracker, ManiaLink, ManiaScript, Titles...)
david
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by david »

Hi,

can you post one or more logs of your game session where you encountered this issue.
Logs are located in your 'Maniaplanet' folder in your 'My documents' folder.

Thanks in advance

David
Nadeo
Toiletjuice

Post by Toiletjuice »

Alinoa wrote:Can you please specify your system specs / OS? Did you try to play on servers located near to where you live? Did this issue also occurs on all servers?
Here are my system specs:

Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.3GHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 (Driver version: 296.10 WHQL)
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
ADSL Connection: 384 Kbps Download; 128 Kbps Upload (as stated in the above post)

I live in South Africa, this issue happens on every single server I have played on - regardless of whether the server is local or international, or it's specific region. I have connected to roughly 30 servers since I have purchased the game, so it's safe to assume that it wasn't happening on one specific server - some servers multiple times after I have changed my config settings.

Some changes I tried within the Maniaplanet launcher advanced options in order to see if I could reduce the upload bandwidth used:

- I have changed the network speed setting to all the different presets, and even set various different custom network speeds in order to test whether this could help. It did not - the game uses the same amount of upload and download bandwidth regardless of what setting you use

- I have disabled peer 2 peer connections. This includes upload and download peer to peer transfer, and I also tested different combonations (i.e: enabling p2p upload, disabling p2p download; disabling p2p upload, enabling p2p download etc) - none of these helped with reducing the bandwidth requirement of the game.

- I changed various graphical settings just to try and see if it could possibly influence the bandwidth the game uses, but as expected it had no effect whatsoever.

As a final note, I asked a friend to check what upload speeds the game uses on his computer, and the results he obtained were similar to mine. He has a faster ADSL connection than me though, so his line could handle the upload speeds required to play. He says that the game can reach upload speeds of higher than 20 kb/s. This seems extremely excessive to me, as I have rarely ever played an online game that requires more than 5 kb/s upload speed in order to play. Obviously I understand that different games use different engines, but surely this is not required and can be lowered - or at least Nadeo can include settings that alter the in-game bandwidth requirement according to the player's connection speed?

Please let me know if you need any other information.
Toiletjuice

Post by Toiletjuice »

david wrote:Hi,

can you post one or more logs of your game session where you encountered this issue.
Logs are located in your 'Maniaplanet' folder in your 'My documents' folder.

Thanks in advance

David
Nadeo
Here are some logs that I have uploaded to pastebin:

http://pastebin.com/8ifZ7K3x
http://pastebin.com/CzkBKeqf
http://pastebin.com/iKXcimqj
http://pastebin.com/bp1ruTqf

Let me know if you need anything else from me.
david
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by david »

Thank you for your logs Toiletjuice,

I have been able to correct and optimize the upload and download bandwidth management.
In the next update, upload bandwidth usage would be noticeably decreased.

David
Nadeo
Toiletjuice

Post by Toiletjuice »

david wrote:Thank you for your logs Toiletjuice,

I have been able to correct and optimize the upload and download bandwidth management.
In the next update, upload bandwidth usage would be noticeably decreased.

David
Nadeo
That is excellent news! Looking forward to the next patch!
tcq

Post by tcq »

Sounds like a great job you have done there david, looking forward to the next update.

Return to “Shootmania Storm Reports”