Custom skin problem since update.

Talk about avatars, crosshairs, mods, skins and share them !

Moderator: English Moderator

GBH-M1SB1

Custom skin problem since update.

Post by GBH-M1SB1 » 18 May 2013, 19:37

Hello everyone !

I've been skinning for Paragon eSports for shootmania, and when I gave them the skin files, they told me that a texture was kind of weird. In fact, it should be a decal of the skin logo on the shield, with a bit of energy on the energy map too. It should be blue, as the team logo is. But it's pink.

It was working perfectly before the update of the last days, and just after I did it, I could observe the same weird pink color and glow on the shield logo, and a red energy glow color on the rest of the energy parts.

Here are some screens :

The skin how it should be and how it was before the update :

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The skin how it is now :

As you see, the color of the energy glow changed. I didn't change anything on the dds files since then...
When I modify, in the Paragon team skin zip file, the name of "Energy.dds" into "Body_E.dds", the energy map doesn't seem to be read properly and there's no energy glow appearing AT ALL on the skin.

Dafuq.
Last edited by GBH-M1SB1 on 20 May 2013, 12:12, edited 3 times in total.

GBH-M1SB1

Re: Skin bug since update.

Post by GBH-M1SB1 » 18 May 2013, 21:13

Ok. So, I explored the shootmania files, and thus I went to the location where the default skin files could be previously found. I found the ArenaPlayerDefaultSkin.zip, and opened it.

Here is what I got :

The default file names are different from what they were. Are these files the new way we should name them ?

SRSLY WTF ! This behaviour is so annoying MP devs, SO annoying.
Last edited by GBH-M1SB1 on 18 May 2013, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.

faserg1

Post by faserg1 » 18 May 2013, 21:22

Hey, it is not bug, just energy color changed. As you can see, the Body_E.dds - texture, that says where will be energy light. Nothing about color. The peoblem is - what color choose you.
Or it is realy bug)
Try to rename Body_E in Body_I.
Есть вопросы? Только скайп - faserg1.
Жизнь - это динамика ритма. Life is dynamic of rhythm.

GBH-M1SB1

Post by GBH-M1SB1 » 18 May 2013, 21:28

It's hard to read you... The energy color was, until then, proper to the Energy.dds file containing the glowing areas map. The color could be modified as desired : the color of the energy areas in the Energy.dds file was appearing ingame as it was. In my modified skin, it's light blue, like on the first picture I uploaded. And it worked.

Now the TeamMask are not defined by white but red areas, and what seems to be the specular has a yellow layer all over the map.

Why renaiming it Body_I ?

EDIT : I think I understood that in the file names Body_X, the X stands for the first letter of the former file names : D / Diffuse, E / Energy, N / normal, S / Specular, M / (Team)Mask.

It would be nice to have some "official" updates about that, because the energy on my skin isn't of the right color, and when I change all the former names of my modified skin into what seems to be the new file names, everything is fucked up and appears green and purple and wtf.

GBH-M1SB1

Post by GBH-M1SB1 » 20 May 2013, 10:57

There's not even somebody from ManiaPlanet to answer that ?!?

TheXPlaying

Re: Custom skin problem since update.

Post by TheXPlaying » 20 May 2013, 19:52

That's strange, my old custom skins still works fine and the files are still named the old way... :?
http://www.youtube.com/TheXPlaying

"I just want to watch the world burn."

GBH-M1SB1

Post by GBH-M1SB1 » 20 May 2013, 21:31

Really ?? rrrrr... I don't understand a thing then, because all my previous personnal custom skins suffer from the same problem. All their energy glowing areas are forced to be red.

Can you send me one of your skin by MP so I can check ?

The weirdes thing is that the ones who noticed that color problem are the guys I'm supposed to make the skin for, while I gave them an almost finished one. So their suffer the same problem as I do with the red energy glow...

TheXPlaying

Post by TheXPlaying » 20 May 2013, 22:42

Okay, will do ASPA! ;)
http://www.youtube.com/TheXPlaying

"I just want to watch the world burn."

GBH-M1SB1

Post by GBH-M1SB1 » 20 May 2013, 23:12

Thanks mate o/

LuckyBoy
Nadeo
Nadeo

Post by LuckyBoy » 23 May 2013, 14:22

GBH-M1SB1 wrote:Really ?? rrrrr... I don't understand a thing then, because all my previous personnal custom skins suffer from the same problem. All their energy glowing areas are forced to be red.

Can you send me one of your skin by MP so I can check ?

The weirdes thing is that the ones who noticed that color problem are the guys I'm supposed to make the skin for, while I gave them an almost finished one. So their suffer the same problem as I do with the red energy glow...
2 changes have been made in the update:

a) skin filenames have been renamed (to be clearer with other custom datas)
the ascending compatibility is done (old filenames will still be loaded).

b) energy shading changed:
previously an RGB was taken assuming color was green, and that color was colorized (by current ingame player's hue)
but because some custom skins did not follow this "green" convention (then the ingame hue select wasn't working) and to win quality in energy shading, we've changed that to
now only the luminance ( max(red,green,blue) ) of the texture is used as energy intensity.
(then the format should ideally use BC4 compression, though this not the case of default skin I'll fix that)

Thanks

Return to “Workbench”