Soprah's Elite maps - Pls feedback!

Talk about the map editor here

Moderator: English Moderator

Soprah

Soprah's Elite maps - Pls feedback!

Post by Soprah »

08/02/2016 /// It's been exactly 3 years since I released my first 4 elite maps. Although I never released a lot of maps on SMX, I spent half of my time on building maps while I was online in Shootmania. Anyways, I've prepared 4 new elite maps. Thanks a lot to those guys who spent so much time to give me feedback on my maps! Especially Stenchbag, Arn & Xirdrak. Much appreciated :thx:

MC - Last resistance
SMX-link
=> Explanation and def spots of the map can be seen on the description on the SMX-link!

MC - An old claim
SMX-link
=> Explanation and def spots of the map can be seen on the description on the SMX-link!

MC - Lucky Old sun
DEDICATED FOR MY FRIEND HAYABUSA (aka gayanooba )
SMX-link

MC - Fortified Refuge
SMX-link

First post (written at the 1st august 2013)
Hey elite players,

I am playing elite for some months right now and I really enjoy this mode. Some weeks ago I began to make my first map and already received some feedback by a generous serveradmin and his friends. I gladly receive feedback to improve my map-skills and finally edit the map if it's necessary. So pls don't hesitate to tell me your opinion!

To all my maps:
I really put emphasis in being creative for my maps, e.g. new walljump-combinations, because I just want that my maps become unique and you have fun at playing on my maps. I hope you appreciate it :)

1st Elite map ''New Era''
SMX link

Concept
''New Era'' is divided into two parts. The upper and the lower part. Logically, on the upper part you have an excellent overview of the most area of the map which makes it even more important to hold this part as a defender. The attacker can only reach this powerful part by using a jumpad followed by a difficult walljump. The defender can only reach the upper part by using a fulljump on a redblock. The redblock is above the tunnel, which is the next tactical point in my map.
In exactly the center of the map is a small, tightly 'tunnel' which precisely reaches the pole. To make this tunnel from even more importance, there is a green-jumppad behind the tunnel, as a little boost to go trough the tunnel, so attacker don't get instantly killed.
There is a lazerplattform which you can only reach by the upper-part. As some friends criticized, I decreased the view of the railgun.
The pole area is a little bit open ( depends of how you define ''open'' ), but there are some hideouts for defenders of course.
There are several more small tactical things, e.g. the blue-path on the left side near the attacker-spawn.

All in all, this map needs your pure attention as a defender!
Good luck. :thumbsup:

2nd Elite map ''Upon the sky''
SMX link

Concept
This map is totally unique and it is quite hard to explain the concept of this map, but I try it:
''Upon the sky'' is full of diversity, which means that they are a lot possibilites to reach points in the map. Generally, you can say that the map is divided into 3 parts. The center, the pole area, the rest.
The center is probaly the most powerful place in the map, because from there you can easily reach every point in the map: One possibility is as an attacker, that you can take a green jumppad followed by a walljump and the goal is to reach the blue-path, which might be very difficult. This action is very fast and similar to the tunnel-boost in ''New Era'', which is going to be tactical important in an elite match! In the center, there is a small area which I call ''ground''.
The ground area is quite small but from importance as well, because you can go trough a little tunnel and take a blue-jumppad and you exactly arrive at the pole area! The most characteristic of this area is, that you cannot easily find the attacker from defender point of view just because the ground is very low.
There are some options to reach the pole area, e.g. a small blue-path, a yellow jumppad and on the both sides there is a normal way.

However, this map is full of surprise and I just mentioned the half of the possibilites.
Have fun!

8/13/2013 **TWO NEW MAPS**
3rd Elite map ''Execution''
SMX link

*UPDATED* 8/25/13
- Added more spots/cages in the pole area because it was nearly impossible to defend the pole area.
- Fixed the double-pillar which was infront of the attacker spawn. Should be easier to go out now.
- Edited the area near the attacker spawn so that the movement is much better. ( I hope it )
- Edited the area after the small tunnel on the right side. There should be more free space so attacker won't be instantly killed after going out of the tunnel.
- Changed the position of the defender spawn.
- And some small stuff as well :)
Concept
This map is smaller [ I adopted the critiques of the players ] than my two last maps. 1. By just going through the center 2. By going in the big tunnel on the left side of the map. The tunnel directly ends near the pole. 3. There is a small tunnel in the ground on the right side of the map. If you follow the tunnel, you'll see a jumppad which will lead you to the upper part.
The more you precedes, the more the map will be higher. Logically, the pole area is the highest part of the map.
Well, I really don't know how to describe the full map. Just test it out! :D

Fourth Elite map ''Rethink'
SMX link

*UPDATED* 8/30/13
- Made the borders higher so you can't get on top of the map.
- Changed some small spots :)
Concept
''Rethink'' is actually my newest and the smallest elite map I've built so far. Offside of the polearea, the map is divided into three parts: 1. The left side, which is quite low in comparison to the center. 2. The center is the highest part in the map, but it is a small area. 3. The right side, which isn't low but not high. Just normal. This area is quite open.
Let's switch to the pole area: The pole area is surrounded by a wall, so there aren't so many possibilities to reach it. The simplest way to go to the pole area is just by going through the center. On the left side, is a small gate in the wall from there you are able to reach the pole. On the right side are 3 ways options to reach the pole, which makes it quite important for a defender. At first, there is a small gap in the wall. Secondly, there is this kind of tunnel in the wall. One tunnel just goes left. The third option is by doing a walljump which will lead you to the upper tunnel. From this tunnel, you can reach the pole from behind!
Before I am going to release my maps, I ask some friendly elite players who test my maps in the map-editor. And one guy said, that he can't wait to test this map on a server. Hopefully, you think this as well :thumbsup:
Have fun!

My personal aim is that one time one of my maps gets voted for the official elite mappool! So pls let me receive constructive feedback to improve my next maps!! Hopefully, this gets true :3
Last edited by Soprah on 02 Aug 2016, 23:52, edited 11 times in total.
51chicken

Re: Soprah's Elite maps - Pls feedback!

Post by 51chicken »

Hi, it's very difficult to really give a true "review" without playtesting. But I can tell you what I've gathered from running around it by myself.

First of all, thank you for your effort, people in the community willing to put in the time when it's an uphill battle to actually get your map played is commendable and I appreciate it.

I would say your maps are simply too open and there's a lot of area in front that simply wouldn't be used since defenders would be in a very bad spot if they were to actually go forward on these maps. Going from cover to cover to get back to a defensive position would be very difficult.

Between the 2, I'd say Upon the Sky has the most potential. The 2 most common mistakes I've seen with newer maps is the sheer size of them, especially width-wise. Seems like there is potential for 100+ meter shots throughout the width of both maps, which IMO is simply too wide.

I'd be willing to help test your map if you can get some people together to play it, like I said it's hard to really give you any specifics without actually playing it vs competitive people, whom I'd imagine would have a fairly easy time attacking on either. Especially if you're the last defender on the pole, you're basically a sitting duck and would have to rely entirely on sound cuz the map is so wide they could come from just about anywhere, and not much cover besides the pole itself to work with.

I hope you continue trying, you clearly have skill in designing, you just need to tighten up your ideas and keep in mind that defenders should be able to move from cover to cover in between an attacker missing their shots. Some open parts aren't bad, but the pole areas especially need to be tightened up.
roguesergeant

Post by roguesergeant »

Ill place both on our community maps server thanks
Soprah

Post by Soprah »

At first, thanks you both for your support! I really appreciate it!

@51chicken:
Thanks for your long post, it really helps me although it is quite difficult to give 'real' feedback without testing the map on a server.
Yep, one time I received feedback from a mate who exactly said it like you ''It is simply too open''. But I am quite confused because if I compare these two maps with official ones, I can see that the official maps are open as well. And an another mate said to me, that maps which have too many cover possibilites aren't good e.g. some new maps.
I don't know what to do :S

Okay, next time I'll create smaller maps
51chicken wrote:I hope you continue trying, you clearly have skill in designing, you just need to tighten up your ideas
Yes, I keep building maps, because I just love to be creative. And thanks! :)
Would be nice if you add me in maniaplanet to invite you on an elite match when my maps are uploaded. Nickname is ''Soprah''
roguesergeant wrote:Ill place both on our community maps server thanks
Thanks! What is the name of the server? Where is the server placed? Wanna play it as well.
Pls add me in Maniaplanet as well. Nickname is ''Soprah''
roguesergeant

Post by roguesergeant »

Engage Gaming Community Maps Elite

Ill add you in the morning and add them to the playlist (uploaded a ton, just not added.)
roguesergeant

Post by roguesergeant »

They are now live on our server
Soprah

Post by Soprah »

I've built 2 new elite maps!
Just look in the first post where all all maps are listd

I would like to thank all players who tested my maps on the servers! You all gave me constructive feedback so I can improve my future maps! Thanks to the generous serveradmins as well, who uploaded my elite maps!
Pls let me keep telling your opinion about my maps. It is really important for a map-builder!

You all keep me goin' ;)

Greetings,
Soprah
roguesergeant

Post by roguesergeant »

Sweet, we will check them out soon. We have to upload them on another server, as we made the custom map our ESWC training grounds. But when we do test it out on our 80K you can come with again xD
Soprah

Post by Soprah »

8/25/13: I've updated my third map Execution again!
Changelog:
*UPDATED* 8/25/13
- Added more spots/cages in the pole area because it was nearly impossible to defend the pole area.
- Fixed the double-pillar which was infront of the attacker spawn. Should be easier to go out now.
- Edited the area near the attacker spawn where he enters the castle-part after the green part. The movement should be much better now ( I hope it )
- Edited the area after the small tunnel on the right side. There should be more free space so attacker won't be instantly killed after going out of the tunnel.
- Changed the position of the defender spawn.
- And some small stuff as well :)
Big thanks for all the nice testers on the server ''HZ=Public Elite #2''!
I really need critiques like this! :thumbsup:

I think that this is my personal best elite map! I would really like to see this map on more servers :D. Have fun!
Soprah

Post by Soprah »

Please check the edited first post : 4 new maps for the Maniaplanet world cup

And sorry for double-post. I hope it's okay if the double-post is 3 years ago ^.^

Greetings,
Soprah

Return to “Map Editor”